Since the Enhanced (UE5) update, the game triggers a fatal crash back to desktop during the initial map/world loading screen or after loading into built-up player areas. The game crashes with an explicit DirectX 12 rendering memory allocation error. The DirectX 11 launch option (-dx11) is no longer supported by the project build, forcing execution through DirectX 12. Monitoring telemetry demonstrates an aggressive VRAM memory leak during asset and texture streaming. Once local VRAM is exhausted, the engine fails to recycle old assets, leading to an immediate crash rather than gracefully throttling texture quality. Playing the game on any settings, I quite literally tried every solution out there and nothing works, multiple people have this problem.
Hi and welcome to the forums ![]()
Have you also reported this to Helpshift - Contact Us — Conan Exiles Help Center ? - That is where bug reports for CEE need to go so they can be seen sooner by the devs. (But please also continue to report here so that we can add to the player-maintained list of bugs. I’ll make sure this issue gets added to the next update (Saturday).)
i have the exact same issue as you, did you ever figure out any solution to this?
what do you mean by next update?
The next update to the player-maintained list of bugs. As in, I’ll make sure this issue gets added to the list (and did - as can be seen by the linked posts on the OP).
If you’re playing on an NVIDIA card, increase the “Shader Cache Size” in the NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings. By default, this is set to Standard (4 GB). Maybe that will help.
hero
@Dana the flags that have been thrown on this topic seem very strange. One of the comments was a newcomer’s first post and simply said that they too were having the issue that the OP mentioned. The second was a polite question to me asking the meaning of something I had posted. The third I did not get to see (it had already been flagged) but I have every reason to believe it too would have been polite. This seems like someone flagging posts to troll, rather than because of a genuine issue.
I have the same issue, since day one of Enhanced, which has so far kept me mostly to legacy.
The easiest way for me to test/reproduce this has been to go into a new single player game (no player bases) in admin mode and teleport myself back and forth between New Asagarth and Sepermeru.
After two-three teleports, my 8GB of VRAM will be full and the game crashes.
In normal game play, I will crash mostly when teleporting to an obelisk with a (somewhat) big base in render distance, or when logging in at home and having a moderately big base myself.
Walking up to a base/city usually doesn’t trigger the crash, which to me point to an issue with loading big areas all at once.
I know what you mean. Ever since the “Enhanced” version of the game came out I’ve been trying to find as many tweaks as possible to speed up performance.
And it doesn’t help that DirectX 12 is more prone to crashing than DirectX 11. And UE5 is ONLY DirectX 12.
One trick a few people have been working on is editing the Engine.ini file to turn off as much of the Unreal Engine 5 slop as possible. It’s still not as good as Unreal Engine 4, but it can be made faster and less crash prone than the default settings.
I’m playing in 1280X720 and “low laptop” mode right now, to get through roughly an hour without crashing. ![]()
I have turned off everything that can be turned off in the engine.ini as well.
I have an GeForce RTX 2080 with 8GB VRAM and 48GB of RAM.
I usually play in 4k.
This issue is WILD! ![]()
I can confirm this bug, and it’s a BAD one. I have a 9950x3d, an RTX 3090 card and 64GB of RAM, and this has happened to me since the 2nd-last update. It can be triggered when you go into the Northwest (try Mounds of the Dead) and the rain starts to fall. CE gobbles up 23.5GB of my available 24GB, then spills over into my pagefile and RAM. When it hits the RAM, it devours 99% of it before the entire game crashes, sometimes taking my computer down with it.
I tried to use Mem Reduct as a solution to clean my memory, but I can only rely on that method for a few rain cycles before the game crashes with an Out of Video Memory error. I have tried playing the game with mods, without mods, on public/private servers, by myself in a solo campaign, I have tried every single pagefile setting and combo you can think of, I’ve flushed my shader cache, changed the size of my cache to 10GB, 100GB, and Unlimited in Nvidia App, reinstalled the game, and every other tip under the sun. This is a massive VRAM-related memory leak triggered specifically by the weather/particle system in-game. This doesn’t happen to me with any other game or program on my computer, and it needs to be addressed. I literally cannot play CE for longer than 15 minutes now before it eats up 50GB of my RAM and triggers a total system collapse.
They got flagged by the system and these got hidden. I restored the replies just now ![]()
What do you do around here?