Performance Hiccups on Linux

Hello everyone! My computer config is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
8 GB Kingston DDR
SSD
AMD Radeon RX 550 GPU

I am running MX Linux 21.3 with Wine Stable 8.0. I am running the official drivers from AMD. That being said, I am running the game through Steam Proton 4.11-13 with the following Protontricks/Winetricks: d3dx9_43, d3dx11_43, d3dcompiler_43, dotnet35sp1, dotnet40, vcrun2015. According to the users over at ProtonDB, it should run better with DX11, which is the exact opposite of what I am seeing. Running on DX11, I’ll get occasional performance hiccups (doesn’t matter if I’m in the middle of nowhere or in Agartha). Running DX9, I only get the performance hiccups when I’m in a populated area, however it looks absolutely horrid.

I’ve already ensured that there were no other programs running in the background (other than Steam). I’ve also already tried newer versions of Proton, however 4.11-13 seems to be the only one where the launcher displays properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem seems to have went away after I installed the new version of the AMD Linux driver. Runs great on all low (wish my computer could handle higher) with DX11. All low on DX11 still looks significantly better than all low on DX9.

2 Likes

Your computer isn’t that far behind mine as far as hard specs go and I’m getting 80-140 fps on Highest settings. I’m surprised you have to run low.

I haven’t tried upping the graphics options yet since the new driver was released. I’ll try later today to see how it works out for me.

1 Like