PS4/PVE Thrall Training HP not changing

Looking for help from experienced players on PS4/PVE server (Private) in Thrall training.
Im training new Thralls and as they level its like they are stuck. Theres only 20 levels and I have been logging progress on each thrall.
Each one will get stuck with the HP not changing for 3-5 levels at a time. Doesnt matter if its a horse or a Bearer for example. Level 2 they may be a HP level of…7576 in example and they will stay at that HP for levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 and level 7 they may just bump up to like 8023 for example. Why is this?
Ive changed food, gear, weapons etc and it makes no difference who or what I train.
They consistantly have levels stuck throughout the 20 level process.
Levels 2 & 3, then level proper a level, then level 5 & 6 will stay the same HP and so on. Its so frustrating.
Is it due to the nerf patch of the thralls? These are not pre-existing thralls. Those got purged and these are brand new.
Is it due to algorithm since the patch? Im just looking for help. This is my first created post so I apologize in advance if I couldnt find a previous topic. I love this game and play it nightly. I know im just a PVE player but ive not experienced these issues prior to the update/patch.

1 Like

It depends on the percent chance of increase for the thrall/pet and is subject to variance and perks. Would need a large statistical sample to know if anything was wrong with the algorithm.

2 Likes

I hope this doesn’t seem like I’m telling you a bunch of stuff you already know - I figured if I go through the basics, then at least anything that is unfamiliar might help.

The specific stat you need to keep an eye on is Vitality - if that doesn’t increase, then their HP will not go up.
The growth chance for their vitality should effect how likely it is to increase (but I’ve just had a Lacerta with 78% growth chance in Vitality gain no Vitality for 5 straight levels - bit of a blip, but as darthphysicist suggests, would need a far larger sample size to say if there’s actually a problem).

The reason HP increases by different amounts, depending on the follower, is simply that different follower types have different ‘HP per point of Vitality’, so the odd numbers that it increases by are nothing to worry about.

You can increase the growth chance for a specific stat by feeding the follower the correct food (for example, Steak for humans will add +14% to the chance of increasing Vitality, Gruel is +14% to the Strength growth chance), but these also provide different levels of healing. (Assuming the box is visible)- there should be a diet box at the bottom of their inventory screen, the food at the top left is their lowest healing (1HP per second) up to bottom right (10HP per second). However, the top left food does have a secondary bonus of giving them a +25% damage bonus (for about half hour/one hour), rather than the 10% bonus they get from the other 9 options.

As to your actual question - yeah, I’ve noticed a bit of that, and it seems maybe more pronounced recently, but not enough or with enough tests that I could say for definite. It often doesn’t seem to matter what growth chance they have in a given stat, they’ll still fail to advance in it - but that could be just the unhelpfulness of RNG, and would need large scale testing to really prove either way.

2 Likes

Thank you omg thats exactly what I meant. I have the chart from reddit for both horses and human thralls as to what foods give what. So I fed in a 5 slot spot Exotic feast, Exquisite Stew, Gruel, Exotic Feast. Are they not stackable? Now the steak I did use and your right…14% Vitality on the Wiki Chart for thralls and Gruel was 14% Strength.
Ok so when Pork Rinds were used it as you said gave the 25% bonus. Its been a change in the more exotic foods so maybe I need to go back to the basics then. Regular old foods with focus on strength and vitality.
Everything you wrote makes sense. I was focused on the healing per second aspect and strength and less on just vitality.
That maybe the hang up to why the HP stays at the same number, then after 4 levels or so its a big jump and it does this through the remainder of levels till 20. Thank you so much for responding. I thought it was just me and I will take any advice always.

2 Likes

No worries - always happy to help :slight_smile:

It’s more that they’ll pick one and prioritise that if you give them options - I’m never sure which they’ll go for (I’m sure there’s a logic), but it always seems to be the one I least want them to :wink: Generally I find it best to just give each one specific food, and then change it if I want to change what stat bonuses they’re getting or increase their healing rate. Exotic Feast, for example, can be great - max possible healing rate for thralls, with +7% growth chance to Strength and the same to Vitality - but it depends if you want to split the bonus like that or not.

Another little tip - though I don’t know for certain that it’s true - supposedly if the combination of a follower’s growth chance for a stat and the bonus you give it from food total to over 100% then it gets a guaranteed 2 pts per level in that stat. The problem is that if their growth chance in one stat is that high, odds are the others will be low and you may want to prioritise feeding them to raise a lower stat to acceptable levels and sacrifice the stat they could have been great in.

I tend to focus on Vitality if I don’t think their growth chance is as high as I would like, with strength as secondary (because I’m more concerned with them staying alive than necessarily doing the most damage) - but it is also worth remembering that the perks they get at level 10,15 and 20 can (and often will) mess up your plans, so it’s not worth getting too fixated. And sometimes it’s just worth giving them the best healing food you can - it may not maximise their chances of gaining in a stat you want, but sometimes staying alive in the short term is more important :wink:

Above all, have fun with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct, they don’t stack. For example, if your thrall eats grilled steak, it’ll have +14% vitality growth chance. If it eats gruel after that, it’ll lose that +14% vitality growth chance and get +14% strength growth chance instead.

When you put multiple foods in the thrall’s inventory, I don’t know how it chooses which one to eat.

1 Like

I have found on my wolf and sabertooth that the food does stack don’t know if it’s supposed to. Take there food away and give it back 25% and 10%. So tried on humans and like you said doesn’t work.

2 Likes

I think we might not all be talking about the same thing. The 25% people mention is the damage bonus that should come from preferred diet. What I was trying to say is that the growth chance bonuses from different foods don’t stack.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is on console? Until the Siptah update it used to be possible to feed followers two foods (the first one in their list + 25% damage bonus) and any other (additional +10% damage bonus) and they would take their healing rate from the food that was left in their inventory. Since the Siptah update, this no longer works - instead, if you give them the 25% bonus food, they won’t eat anything else until that buff has worn off, so only heal 1pt per second (which is way worse than the rates they would get for the other foods).

If it is still working in your game - the specific set that should work for human thralls is cooked pork rinds first, then feed them whichever of their other foods you want. If that doesn’t work (or you are on PC and therefore already using the Siptah update), then I don’t know what’s going on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I am on ps4

2 Likes

I strayed away from the subject. OP is on console wanted them to know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.