PVP - Balance for newbies

So many people I know are immediately uninstalling after attempting PVP for far too many reasons. The game is not open to newcomers on official servers. Alphas (who only have 2-3 remaining members) lord over servers with massive builds, supplies, and thralls at all key locations. Only clans that have 6+ members that don’t work or go to school can get footholds, and as someone who loves pvp/building/raiding I believe that a couple of things could be done to improve the game and increase interest for people with lives, as well as for the alphas. I’m still unsure how lording over an empty server remains fun for some.

1. Raid times down to 3 hours. Average workday of 9-5 only leaves 5pm-12pm or so to play. If a clan is comprised of functioning members of society and have lives outside of work, they might spend their entire night griefed and/or sacked with no time to recoup their losses. They quit playing. There is a reason the player base is so diminished and every time a server gets 20 people, it immediately becomes overcrowded. People are starved, atleast on ps4, for other to play against.

2. Seasons. 60 or 90 days season, where levels are reset and server is hit by meteor or something… clearing all structures. Everyone starts on equal footing… naked and in the desert. It would be a race for dominance. 2 remaining people from a past alpha tribe’s glory(Al Bundies reliving their glory days) can’t continue to foundation wipe newcomers to the game. The seasons could offer challenges. new skins/models/aesthetics for hitting reaching 60, killing players, blowing up walls, running dungeons.
    There could be different challenges each season with different rewards which would carry over as feats on your toon after season end(sure you’d have to level again to learn/craft, but this would actually be some sort of gain from playing the game). This would reward all for playing and alleviate some of the pain of losing everything to people who can wipe you out, but couldn’t compete anymore on equal footing because their past alpha mates got bored and left.

I don’t know. Just my thoughts. I love this game and would like to see it more balanced and offer more incentive to play. Currently, I don’t see the player base growing beyond people who don’t have work/family and can upkeep and grind all day and all night

4 Likes

What platform are you?
I am starting a private PS4 (2nd time i have done this) with certain rules in place to allow for people to have lives. I am not trying to be the cold sales guy. Just offering up a place for fun PVP/radiing. It will be freshly open by this weekend.
My biggest issues with privates is the donations, discord nitro xp whatever that is. This is self funded, and will be as long as i can keep @ about 20 regulars on it.

1 Like

PS4. I’ve been on and off for years… me and a few friends. I just recently got 3 more friends into it, and they are having a miserable time and will most likely quit. They are wiped every night, killed over and over by people camping their bedrolls. 2 alpahs, 2 max level Cimmerian Berserkers, and we can’t help because as soon as we increased the numbers on the server, the server filled with the aforementioned starved player base that can play 14 hour shifts and they all hit 60 within a day or so. So we are too busy losing wheel rooms and holding our own against the no lives to even help our friends in the newb lands who are getting purged daily by alphas.

3 Likes

Then maybe they can try my server, see if they actually find the rest of the game fun lol.
Equal Exiles…it will be active starting Sunday. Check the rules i linked…See if it makes sense, or interest them.

2 Likes

Robbing Peter to pay Paul…
Everything you do effects PvE also.
Maybe the 50/50 balance that FUncom have just isnt enough for some.

I already suggest a 3 months wipe + 10% upkeep of buildings per day. Then everyone has a chance, and you must play the game to keep your buildings.

Officials servers are full of massive buildings, buiild with old duping items. Old players log only to refresh and wipe new players.

4 Likes

I don’t think a reduced raid time is the solution, I think unlimited raiding is. Have 24/7 raiding, that way the entrenched alpha clans with only 2 or 3 members can be chipped away at by everyone else at all hours. They can’t retaliate against five other little clans and defend and rebuild all at the same time. Everyone will be in constant war, yet able to build up reasonably when an enemy’s attention is somewhere else for a day or so.

People think limited raid times benefit casual players, but they really benefit alphas and people with unlimited play time.

I disagree with all of this. It’s a survival game, learn to survive.

Hiding in small nooks and crannies is by far the best way to avoid unwanted attention.

I see so many newcomers build massive structures immedietly and wonder why they get found.

There’s always someone bigger, better, and has more time then you. If you can’t beat em, join em.

2 Likes

4 hours tonight, 3 bases. On our server everyone sees who can get there first.

With that attitude, you seem to support 24/7 as was posted above you. That way, any and everybody can raid when they feel like it. Or do you need the non-raid time protection so you can sleep???

I understand your point,

but i think the really problem about raiding hours nowadays is that
all servers are equal, i mean… some servers should be 3h of raid,
like u said, but also should be other official servers with 10-15h of raid for those who likes it,

even if it be just some few of “hard-pvp” would already supply the needs of who likes raids and defending etc…

Disagree,
with this, it will only get worse, the same alphas will build again everything in 1-2 days and they get back in power again, the only thing you get with this is sending people away, and you will be doing that specially for the noobs who suffered alot to build themselves, levels, base, everything

I dont know how much experience do you have on this game,
but i can tell you that sometimes the alphas powergames so much that they take more than 2 servers at same time, officials and alternatives, and they will keep doing that,

Noobs need more place to hide, for example, instead of limitations of time to all servers, because powergamers have all the time, noobs do not, you will be just changing the clock to things happens in another time…

The benefit would be to little, and you were going to limitate even more who wants to attack the alphas, like me for example, i like to watch alphas and attack them when they are not taking enough care of they bases…
So limiting the raid time you also were going to make the life of alphas even easier to watch their bases

EDIT > also, with wipes, you will be nerfing the role playing part of the game,
people is not going after Sword of Croms anymore if there are f… wipes,
you will make Conan be like Rust, just an flow game (until everybody gets sick of it)

1 Like

Ofc it effects PVE, u think PVP only is about killing other players? I think and know most PVP players have more knowledge about PVE than actually players that only plays PVE.

Reason for it is, PVE players can take their time chillin around looking around and so on. When PVP players needs to farm farm and farm, all the time to have the chance to survive.

So of course it effects PVE if something in PVP is changed. And tbh, this game was announced to be a survival PVP game when it came out.

1 Like

@Hyborian_Jones

I recently joined a PvE-C server that had a wipe. I was the first level 60 player in the first 12 hours after the wipe whereas the others were level 20-30, asking in global chat how to level up quickly.

I was the first with horse + epic flawless armor + buffs and high grade weapons + star metal tools + a T3 base. It took the other PvE players another 1-2 weeks to get there. I was running around with the horse on PvP times, oneshotting every player I encountered.

PvP players are more efficient. They need to know every mechanic in the game. Small things matter. It is similar to pro level League of Legends or Dota 2.

And people on the forums say that these slow, inefficient PvE players should make balance decisions for the game… No thank you.

2 Likes

Broadly speaking, you may be right in the case of some servers. Those I’ve played on include a few on which hassling noobs is frowned upon though, and I know more than one well resourced clan that will offer gear & advice to newcomers rather than destroy everything they’ve built in the first few days.

I think what you’re describing is more of a player problem than it is a server/setting/game problem. And often easily resolved if other players band together to curb the behaviour.

1 Like

I like manipulating raid hours. I can see 2 options - the time window should be short or extended to 24h. That way you can return the favor because your opponents have to sleep as well :slight_smile:

Another thing is damage done to buildings. It is very easy to farm for explosives which are to powerfull. With avatars reactivated it is ridiculous. Imagine frustration from other side when all you have after hundreds of hours is gone because of easy avatar farmed with 3 hours only. Funcom don’t make mistakes. It is clear for me this reactivation is on purpose - although they promissed to never wipe official servers there are other methods to work around it.

I totally agree. 24/7 is a good way to teach mature technics - long term strategy and diplomacy.

2 Likes

I agree with 24/7. The offliner’s actually hide behind the 6 hour window. They are available every day at those hours, and they choose to play Conan 10 hours a day. They are the one who would be hurt more by the 24/7 as now other people who may work night shifts, out of region players would be able to return the offline favor when they eventually go to sleep.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.