Religion System Overhaul

Yup. I like this suggestion also RavenS117. I may not be able to reply to each of the aspects I would like to now, as its getting late here. But I will at least make a start.

YES! This is one of the things I have been barking for for literally years now. And it is so simple, yet would add so much to the game. At the very least, a weapon(s), armor and placeable/decoration for each of the religions. The animal skin was something which I had never considered, but I think it is great thinking myself.

Agree to this too. I was kind of left scratching my head a little bit when these newer religions were added and they didnt have their own emote. I can think of some gret ones for Derketo off the top of my head. It just feels like each of them, while they have much depth already compared to other games such as Skyrim, are just short the final steps to ice the cake, make them truly impactful, and for that matter even more fun. And personally I am starting to get that vibe from within the community; we want our religions to feel deeper and more meaningful, and have more gravity to them.

I will try to post more after work tomorrow.

3 Likes

It would make going to Sepermeru riskier for “true believers” of a certain religion, but there are mitigating factors.

One of those is that you need to select a religion as your primary (from what I understood), so that would make it a conscious choice, and one that you can change (hopefully at some cost).

Another mitigating factor is that Conan, merchants, and other “critical” NPCs are immune to damage, so even if you get aggroed, you’ll be able to talk to them… if you survive :wink:

1 Like

Different districts and quarters of the city. Like the relic-hunters, tiefs and all that.

Some market-places with more “open minded” merchants, that don’t care what people they get their gold from. :moneybag:
But much more risky places where some inhabitants live, maybe some groups will hide, or else.

You could also see Conan in the middle of a big brawl, and you can talk to him once he slaughtered them all, and ko’ed the camel. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh I had several as Derketo is almost always my choice but felt it would have been inappropriate and distracting from the main topic.

Yes a primary religion would be chosen after character creation either by clan leader or by clan majority. And i would expect that to change it would require a fragment or tablet of power to be spent.

Yes in my idea the aggro i mentioned would only effect NPCs with specific religious ties. Such as relic hunters, dogs of the desert, lemurians at the pagoda, and so on. All other NPCs would aggro as normal. However this would allow freedom of movement for some players. For example a Yog worshipper could walk into the summoning place unimpeded, or a Ymir worshipper could do the same in New Asgarath.

2 Likes

Lol been waiting to see what else you would say. Or add if you think i missed something.

Also any modders think there is a way to mod this to test the balance potential?

No dont worry RavenS117 I hadnt forgetten about you. My work is pretty darn demanding, and I also have a family. I always seem to have a big backlog of forum messages. To make a point on this issue, I have been unable to build inside my base, with most of its pieces now showing as ‘no owner’ since the console parity patch, and am now overdue to reply to some messages in its thread. Now then onto buiness. I was going to reply to a couple of other items on your original post.

Like this one too. And I would also support a feature suggested in a separate thread too, whereby if we wear that factions armor, ie-disguise ourselves, we can travel their capitals without drawing NPC agro and make them non-hostile. For example, Fallout New Vegas stands as a great system with this feature.

Yep I also VERY strongly support this one! While we sjould have the freedom to learn and have all religiins active, I would love a system where we can upgrade our favourite faith to T4. I also agree that each clan should only be able to have only one T4 shrine active at a time. If the only way I can get something…anything Crom related is to make him my T4 choice, ehich lets face it I would anyway, yhen so be it! I would be willing to work my hump off to get some more Crom goodies.

@RavenS117 there are two additional things I would like to see covered in any possible Crom additions. They are a) the ability to complete the Journey Steps without betraying Crom, b) a way to learn his religion in game, and c) a way to destroy rival religious artifacts or ‘offerings’.

1 Like

Yeah. Most people don’t actually look like worshippers of a certain religion - you can’t tell just by looking whether someone is a follower of Mitra, Ishtar, Derketo or Set. And if you’re walking in a Setite city, you should know better than shout “Glory to Mitra!” to every passer-by.

So, normally unaggressive NPCs should remain unaggressive unless you’re specifically wearing religious items of an opposing religion. But I like the idea of turning normally aggressive NPCs unaggressive if you disguise yourself as one of those.

2 Likes

True. On the other hand, each of us is the hero (or the villain) of this story. It stands to reason that the NPCs can recognize the notorious Mitra-worshipper Kapoteeni, whose exploits in Exiled Lands are stuff of legend! :wink:

Before this thread popped up, I used to fantasize about having a “renown system” in Conan Exiles, where you would gain fame or notoriety with each faction depending on your actions. Perhaps that idea could be merged into the religion overhaul proposal here?

Ymir-worshipper, apparently - at least according to one of Multigun’s (now-obsolete) mods:

But you do have a point - at some point, word of our character’s exploits probably starts to get around. Hence, we need disguises. Ball caps and sunglasses should suffice, according to superhero comics.

1 Like

Most definately. Renown either of fame or infamy or completely unknown would be a good way to measure the aggro. Though so not to make another bar to watch could use the faith and follower number to determain noteriety??? Open to debate.

It wouldnt be as restrictive as your thinking. Individual players would still be able to learn all the religions as normal. They would only be restricted to one t4 shrine. The T4 shrine would be for the primary religion chosen by the clan leader, which hopefully is agreement by the rest of the clan. If not the player can simply leave the clan and join/create one that has their chosen religion as primary. Also what you see as restriction I see as realisim as in Conan literature and lore religion is the most common cause of conflict. In most of the civilizations Conan comes across in the books worship of a “foreign” god was punished by death.

3 Likes

Again, no forcing anyone. You would still be able to build T3 of all th other shrines if you wanted. And even if your religion choice wasnt picked for the T4 shrine, simply go to another clans T4 shrine and use it. Not to mention there is always the option to tear down a T4 shrine, spend a tablet of power to change primary, then upgrde a T3 to a T4.

2 Likes

This is awesome.
When harvesting zeal from corpses, this plays into the player ceremonially representing thier God as they do it.

2 Likes

Again, you’re kind of missing the point. In the proposed sytem:

The restriction is only for the new t4 shrine.
All the others can still be built and used to t3.
You can even change the primary if you want.

And even if it’s a matter of liking the proposed religious armors better, the method to change as described isn’t some crazy involved thing so I don’t see why people wouldn’t regularly do it if they so wanted. All the ‘forcing’ in the outlined situation you’re placing on yourself, my man.

1 Like

And how does that change at all with the proposed system? As I read it, the only differences between religions at that point is basically what the shrine and potential armor set would look like and it can still be changed. Hell, make it even easier for changing and let the t4 shrine be the only thing to give FULL refund of building materials.

As to the last bit - there’s nothing that precludes a person’s chosen religion from joining a clan with a different primary. As far as I can tell it’s all completely divorced from each other as all the starting religious choice does is choose which feat is unlocked. Religious benefits aren’t something inherent to the character and all stem from what you make at the shrine.

EDIT: A thought to the npc religious aggro notion - I wouldn’t necessarily tie it to the actual clan primary choice as there’s really no way of knowing how the AI would react to something like that or if it would be able to. I’d rather see it as modifying the religious/faction clothing to work more as a “disguise” system with a simple flag.

EDIT 2: Also - I liked codemage’s idea of turning the t4 shrine effect into a convergence trap analogue better with the choice between resetting your purge meter or triggering a religiously flavored one. Stuff like this should be centered around the player/their clan. People can make religious warfare between themselves well enough on their own and I can see how sending purges on other people would be extremely open for abuse.

Like forcing people to join clans to be able to refresh if they want to take more than a week vacation or have a chance at pvo.

Can we have one thread where we dream and discuss anything without the obligatory “don’t box my options in” troll response.

1 Like

How do they know when I take a vacation? That is just wierd.

The “proposal” is just an idea the OP had. One they felt enough about to post. The likely hood is slim. But I grow tired of the Forum OGs navigating ideas and scarying the creative minds of ALL posters with such negative posts as you tend to go towards if an idea doesn’t fall within your personal playstyle or opinions.

1 Like

The problem is instead of thinking of ways to make it work, more often than not you go straight to no, I don’t like it.

Do you how much stuff 8n game is of no benefit to pvo, yet I rarely go full no, it won’t work for pvp. Instead I (and many others) keep an open mind and offer ideas on how to maybe tweak it to fit as many styles as possible.

I just would love to see 1 suggestion post have a truly creative debate, 8nstead of hard no’s from OG posters. And I have been around long enough to know F7ncom tends to bend to you OGs.

Here is how I would suggest to keep clans 8nvolved with multiple…make the T4 cost resources to maintain. So if a clan wants multiple then they have to farm for it. See constructive feedback to try and resolve, instead of no.

1 Like