Server renting - some questions

Hi,

I’m new with conan exiles and started playing with a friend local (just pve).
Now we have over 20 hours and a cool base. But there is one annoying thing, the Tethering.
So we now consider to rent a server at G Portal e.g.
My questions for that are the following:
-Is it possible to take our savegame and drop it to the server, that we not start from scratch.
If yes, how is it with the settings, I saw ther’s a lot, can we export these, maybe with a .ini file?

• What is if we are logged out and the server is running, is there any thing that can happen to our base,
    for example the enemys attack it or our horses die because not feeded (I’m not sure if they have to be feeded).

• ANd the last question, what If i rent the server for 30 days and forget to renew, do they hold my game for some days or is it instantly deleted.

Hope someone has experience with that. TIA

1 Like

Hey Peltrax, welcome to the Forums and our favourite game. Yes you can copy the “game.db” (or dlc_siptah.db if it’s a Siptah game) saved game file from your local Co-Op game and upload it to your server via FTP while the server is offline. When you reboot, all your stuff will be there (if you used mods on your local game, load all of them on the server, start the server, check it’s all working properly, then turn server off, add your saved game file, then restart it).

I would probably suggest not trying to export settings as GPortal’s .ini files contain some stuff specific to GPortal servers. I don’t think it’s worth messing with unless you know exactly what you’re doing. G-Portal usually recommends changing all the setting using the IN GAME server settings UI. But there are some you can’t change in-game (e.g. stamina regen etc). Have never had an offline Purge, don’t think it can happen anymore, but if in doubt just change the purge settings to “min 1 player online”. Pets and thralls don’t starve (but food does help them heal and gives buffs for their preferred foods), no problems there. The upside of server life is crafting (furnaces etc) keep going when you log off, as long as the server is online. So you can queue up a heap of production and heaps will be done while you’re offline. Same for converting thralls and pets. G-Portal auto renews monthly unless you tell it to stop. If you tell it to stop renewing or don’t pay next period etc, you will get a few emails every day leading up to the end of the period warning you that you need to pay etc before you lose your server files. You can always download your game.db from the server via FTP and use it again later, or in Single Player/ Co-Op again, if you decide to have a few months off.

Local Single/Co-Op saved game files are found here (or wherever you’ve set up your Steam folder):

2 Likes

If you’re on PC, stay away from G-portal. Consoles don’t have a choice unfortunately. But you’re on PC, you have plenty of options. Gportal is bit over priced compared to better options. Here’s a list of decent providers:

1 Like

Everything that @Taemien says
I do my servers through GTX Gaming and have never had issues, nor have I had issues when I have had to log issue tickets. My servers all have mods and it was easy to set up, keep updated, backed up, etc.

2 Likes

if you have a decent internet connection (and maybe a spare pc) you could use the dedicated server launcher and run your own server.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. That helps me soo much.
I will try it later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your start sounds very much like mine… welcome and enjoy the game!

1 Like

Half the issues with this game are the cut rate servers it’s on. Find a dependable, highly rated host.

I have over 4K hours in to Conan. Cut your loses, play with the civilized settings, and welcome to the best part of Conan, mods. There are mods that add more and more playability to the game then any DCL or update Funcom has ever dropped.

I highly recommend Emberlight and Improved Quality of Life 3.4.9. If you want to max/unlock everything there are a couple 300 levels mods. I like paragon’s{?} because of the balancing.

2 Likes

Taemien provides a good list of server hosts although at a bit higher price than G-Portal, but much better, you get what you pay for :slight_smile:
That said if you only want a server for just you and your friend, G-Portal will be enough for that, but if you want to open a server up for other people then I definitely would recommend a different provider than G-Portal - I think most of the problems with G-Portal is because their servers aren’t really geared to the amount of players they advertise, they simply underperform as soon there is more going on than what you can do in singleplayer/coop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to find servers by the mods they use?

1 Like

Sort of, if the mod author has a discord, you can try there. Many modders allow server advertisements for servers that use their mod. Won’t show every server that uses said mod, but its a good place to start.

1 Like

Another good way is to check out the collections.
On the mod’s page in the lower right side where you see the stats, you have a white link text above it telling you how many collections the mod is used in.

Typically every server will make a collection of mods so their users have an easier time installing and it’s sorted by the most popular ones, which will mean servers first.
So you can just click that white text and see which servers use it, some will have some basic info on the collection description on how to find the server
If you click the white 260 collections text it’ll bring you to this page:
As you can see there are plenty of servers that even list their password / connection info

1 Like

Personally, I had no issues with Gportal. Run 7 servers (5 Conan Exiles heavily modded servers) on Gportal. Granted, I do not exceed more than 10 players online on one server since early 2020. But as stated above there are many available good game server companies out there.

Good luck.

1 Like

If you total up the cost of a rented server, it really makes sense to just buy a dell micropc and host your own if its just you and a few friends. Can get one refurbed for like $300 and its your’s to manage as you see fit. The dedi launcher server software is free and easy to use. I had no issues with gportal back in my ps4 days but when I switched to pc, I went full home built and never looked back.

1 Like

Funnily enough, that was my experience with G-Portal too. First server I owned was through them and it was only 10 slots. Ran fine.

Friend of mine opened a 20 man server and the moment the server had a decent population. It crapped the bed. They could not fix the issue. When I helped them troubleshoot, the database worked fine on singleplayer and local multiplayer, it also worked fine on another host which they switched to. After seeing many others corroborate the experience, I’ve decided to advise against using G-portal for PC servers. For 10 or less, probably ok. More than 20, definitely would not recommend. Even unmodded.

1 Like

Wow. that is bad. I had 50 people online back in 2019. No issues. Although the server was vanilla back then. Shrug, like everyone can have different experiences of course.

My pleasure. And don’t worry too much about the comments re G-Portal. Especially if it’s a small server for your own use, or you and a few friends, I’ve used them for years and have tried others too but have come back to G-Portal again and again (just started up a new server with them today). In Australia (as I am) they’re one of the cheapest around, many others would cost me at least double, and unless I’m trying to set up a server for 40 people, it’s fine. While their UI can be frustrating, it’s better than others I’ve tried - they all have their quirks, pros and cons. In my personal experience G-Portal customer service is at least on par or better than any of the others I’ve tried. Everyone has their horror stories though. Just enjoy the game :slight_smile: Let me know if any other queries about how to set it up on G-Portal.

Have you tried the dedicated server app? You can host it on your PC ad it gets rid of the co-op tethering and rendering issues.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.