Platform: Steam
Issue Type: Gameplay - PVP
Game Mode: Online Official PVP
Server Type: PvP
Map: ALL MAPS
Server Name: ALL SERVERS
Mods: no mods.

Bug Description:

A high damage Two hand axe heavy attack (like a blademaster crafted starmetal axe with master kit). will most often randomly go directly though the shield master - block all sheildbreak hits perk - in the grit attributes. 2 Hand axe going through shield master perk - bug - replicateable - YouTube

the shield master perk is bugged and something is causing the blocking of the two hand axe heavy to go through the blocks - deplete all stamina and stagger the blocker + do more HP damage than if you did not block at all. this bug randomly starts happening to a shield user, we have to figure out what triggers it. sometimes the perk functions correctly and the hit only costs like 80 stamina to block (normal) - if it breaks and bugs the pvp is over because of this bug. once it starts it will keep happening and you can no longer stop axes. please fix this. the perk does not work at all.

it does not seem related to gear. i have a video of it testing all variables. and it randomly goes from costing 100% stamina bar to only costing 60. going back to costing 100%. 2 Hand axe breaking shield master perk -infinity stamina cost - bug - replicateable - YouTube
everyone in this video has shield master and the same axe can be seen being passed back and forth sometimes it goes through the perk sometimes it does not.

Bug Reproduction:

step 1. play conan.
Step 2. pick shield master perk because blocking axe hits would be cool and it says it lets you do that.
step 3. find someone with a max dmg two hand axe (87+)
step 4.block a heavy attack from a 2 hand starmetal axe or axe of the legion.
step 5. you block it using the perk. it sheild breaks you anyway, removes 100% of your stamina in 1 swing AND deals extra damage than if you face tanked it. killing you in pvp. (with a small chance to only cost 60 to block it instead of this horrible bug)
step 6. repeat the fight hoping this time the code works (spoiler it wont)
step 7. try to block 1 heavy axe hit again and die to shield master bug. make forum post since you cant pvp with this attribute being unstable.
step 8: wait 9 months after first submission of bug - hope they fix the single line of broken code letting axes go through still.
step 9: realize the community rep never told the devs about the bug. make new post.

literally everything needed for proof of the bug being random and testing different variables is in the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiT1dizZZA

this has been a thing for over a year and ive tried to get attention to it multiple times, Shield master perk bugged, taking more damage when blocking 2 hand axe vs not blocking, costs full bar of stamina

people have even looked into the code and clearly shown where it is broken.

9 months. 1 single bit of code to fix one of the final perks in the grit tree - an entire perk un useable in the game - completely ignored. i’m not convinced when there’s a “dev feedback received” that it actually gets to them, its someone checking a box and then they hope thats enough to calm the masses down.

Xevyr 1 May 2023

Hmm
I poked around a bit, and this is definitely a bug, however it seems to be some very elusive issue…

The cause of the damage I found out, that part is clear :slight_smile:

What’s happening is that under certain conditions the Shield Master 4x block cost is applying to the health damage type as well, which it should never ever do :slight_smile: As you can see on that image, it’s hitting the players with quite the damage because of the 4x multiplier and they also get this for stamina ofc.

The elusive part is… why is this only happening sometimes… in the short time I looked, I couldn’t find any reason for it… and a lot of times the block is perfectly normal, the only way I can trigger it is by repeatedly restarting PIE (play in editor / the game basically) and then when I manage to get it, it will do it every single time without exception.
Hence why I think it’s either some weird timing issue… or something weird happening in the parts that I can’t see…

However what’s happening is that in these cases, we get the full damage multiplied by that 4 (not the shield block reduced damage - which should ideally be 0% for health and like 8-9% for Stamina) so… this part of the code would most likely prevent it, if an OR “Not has the CanBlockAllPerk” would be added to that condition, since then it would always run the shield mitigation code after it when blocking with shield master. I still don’t get what’s mitigating the damage when it just decides to work and doesn’t run into that part of the code… cuz based on this… it should always do this… it’s… magic :slight_smile:

This is just shooting in the dark :man_shrugging: but maybe it’s helpful…

1 Like

Maybe it did, but for some more urgent reasons went on the bottom again.

This is a good mechanic, we didn’t had any response and we didn’t knew if it worth the shot to do a bug report.

Unusable no, but the fact that it’s ignored for 9 months surely worth the shot to remind.
For what is worth, personally as a player, thank you for bringing this up again, i didn’t knew this bug existed and learn that it’s been there for nine months now got me surprised.

I can add this happens against hard hitting mobs too. Such as the big croc’s lunge attack. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. When it doesn’t the attack insta kills you even though it normally wouldn’t.

1 Like

seems like once there’s a certain damage threshold with a shield break effect - it just breaks the code: regardless of if you have tons of stamina or not it just goes through.

i was hoping the perk would work as while the costs to block is inreased you could stack stamina to tank more hits.

but nope :frowning: perk just disables itself instead of blocking AND you take more hp dmg like its a 4x multipier to dmg taken ontop of the 4x to stamina cost.

I just checked the beta client and it was not fixed :frowning: here comes another 9 months of waiting for the grit perk to be useable since 2 hand axe is the only thing its needed for anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.