Spelling: British or american english?

Game mode: -
Type of issue: spelling
Server type: -
Region: -

What is the correct spelling in conan exiles? British or american english? This question is important to know what is wrong and worth a bug ticket. beside the general rule of spelling I saw at least the following spelling mixes:

grey vs. gray
Grey Lotus Flower (name)
Plucked from the gray lotus plant (Short Description)

name is grey and the short description is gray

this is more ore less the case for all items with the word grey in the name. they all have gray in the short description.

armor vs. armour
In item names it’s always armor but in some descriptions it’s armour:

from the description of the item Bone (10021):

…They use the remains of their victims to craft horrifying weapons and armours…

from the description of the item Khari Soldier Helm(92210):

…Still, the hardened segmented armour offers excellent defense against slashing and piercing attacks…

5 Likes

Since the game is international spelling should always be in British English, as this is the language which non-English speaking countries should learn as a 2nd language. I know they have US offices, but they develop conan in Oslo? Strange seeing Simplified-English around but I suppose when you’re dealing with a US audience the “why the hell is there a ‘b’ in this” spelling sticks easily.

Doubt they have the time to ‘correct’ all the spellings tbh. Would you rather have ‘armour’ or a nice new bug horse? :dash:

2 Likes

hopefully the one which removes the u is not the same person which implements mounts :wink:

2 Likes

Answer 1: Robert E Howard was American. The spelling should be consistently American.

Answer 2: Joel is in charge of the wordology, and is Australian. The spelling should be consistently British.

1 Like

it may not bother you. i find it rather unprofessional and would like to have always grey or always gray and not both mixed in one single item

1 Like

Having prior experience as a linguist, I can see why this question is raised @Testerle :slight_smile:
We’ll send the observation to our #spellchekker team so they can decide which spelling to use between each round of whipping.
Thanks for the feedback.

4 Likes

-British +Australian, which is a weird stepson of British English.

In Finland they teach us both. Or at least used to teach back when I went to school.

I tend to default to British English unless I have a reason to use American English, in which case I use consistently American English. I use American on these forums because the game seemed to be written mostly in American (as were the original Conan books).

To a linguist such as myself, there is no greater crime than getting your languages mixed. As they say:

polyamory

1 Like

The true question is, “Spelling: English or not English?”! :laughing:

1 Like

I bet some of it is made in the US, and some not.
bad editing either way.

I from Japan, so mostof basic English I’ve learned was American. So Grey, Armor are often the “norm”
I’ve seen gray spelling time to time, but just put it off as… not world ending.

Armour thou… R Mer, or R-More… lol

Thou, If its spelt gray or grey in Books, I’d say stick to that spelling.

If I may add to the reasons this is confusing, those of us who maintain the Wiki intend it to service all nationalities, regardless of their native language. The standard language used is English, but not specified as American or British. There is a noticeable difference in a number of words between the two.

So, imagine both searching for the term ‘gray lotus’. Two spellings that should lead to the same result, but how? We have three tools to help, none of which are particularly attractive.

1. Did you mean?: ‘grey lotus’ is an option towards the top
  2. Disambiguation: The casual user has to decide
  3. Redirect: We decide where it should lead

In most cases, like the above, we know where the user wanted to go, so we create a redirect, which has maintenance associated with it, among other problems.

That same casual user probably did not notice item 1 and ends up a bit confused.

Item 2 above does not apply in this case, but it does in others. Again, a casual user has to make a choice.

While the above are valid and useful tools, our desire is to aid that casual user, and the more experienced user, in quickly and efficiently getting to the answer that befuddled them in the first place. We would rather have them playing the game than searching the Wiki.

Just my 2 pence.

Regards

jim

1 Like

TestLive has the following:

So if somebody has the balls to check, this might be addressed!

Ahh I’ve been seeing your posts around, didn’t know you were a wiki editor, that would explain the well manoured language!

I’m a beauro on a fairly popular wikia/fandom site, our Finnish game has a lot of spelling mistakes so we have re-directs on many pages where words are spelt wrong. For us on Fandom (not gamepedia, both use mediawiki tho) the redirects seem to be perfect as users don’t even notice they’re being redirected. There’s a ‘redirected from’ banner when this happens.
In searches; the ‘incorrectly’ spelled page appears a recommended in the drop down, even if the user is not spelling it the way the pagename is, the redirect will automatically show this in user searches. A very nice feature I think is also in Gamepedia?
We often got people editing the pages to ‘correct’ the laguage, so a while ago we made a “sic” template which added a [sic] icon and an on-hover notice mentioning this is the preferred spelling. Now we rarely get these ‘corrections’ made.

Sorry for the off-topic, and you may already be aware of all that, but I could honestly talk mediawiki all day haha.

The backwoods nature of early America can not be conceived by the modern man.
They were more concerned with eating, and not being eaten, they learning English.

So words here learned phonically. So words took on different sounds. That phonic beginnings lead to different spelling when folks got around to forcing kids to get from behind the plow, and go to school.

Prada, could you share the URL to that site in a DM? Colour[sic] me interested.

Regards

jim

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.