Steam uninstalled game, now mouse pointer is offset

Game mode: [Enter game mode here: Online official
Type of issue:* Misc
Server type: PvP
Region: North America

4 days ago, Steam uninstalled several of my games, Conan Exiles being one of them. The directories were still there, the games intact but Steam saw them as uninstalled.

When I tried to launch Exiles, before I knew the game was uninstalled according to Steam, it came back with an error that said the location was nonexistent. When I checked, apparently when Steam crashed, it dismounted all my hard drives and partitions except for the C: drive, which is why the location was nonexistent.

After trying all the recommendations Steam offered…repairing the folders, clearing download cache, checking hardware, drivers,malware, virii, etc…I deleted the folder and tried to download and reinstall, but the download kept crashing and dismounting my drives/partitions, requiring a reboot to restore them.

After two days I finally got it to download and install all the updates, but now the mouse pointer is offset far to the left and above where the pointer shows on the screen, making the game unplayable.

Steam “support” is insultingly useless, and hasn’t made the slightest attempt to help solve the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is and how to correct it?

This uninstalled thing seems to be proliferating on Steam, several people in the Steam community report the same thing recently.

hi @Tliish.

Do you by chance have a controller connected to your computer (gamepad, joystick…)
Those can cause unwanted mouse pointer movement.

If you have, maybe try disconnecting and try again.

1 Like

In addition to Meo’s indications, I find this common when installing or reinstalling some games, especially Conan. This is how I fix it.

Find out your desktop resolution and either remember it or jot it down. Start the game, but only to the main menu. Go into settings and change or validate two things. First, make the game resolution match your desktop resolution. Secondly, select Fullscreen Windowed.

Exit and restart Conan two times. The second time will be a charm and you can operate normally. The mouse will be in the correct position and you should be able to play.

My issue with your problem is that Steam should never have been able to disrupt your system in the first place. I consider this intrusive software, not malignant, but we have allowed too much access from Steam to our systems, which is required to use Steam.

Regards

jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.