The duality of a forum

The friction happens because there is three camps, really two. But there’s three:

Those who play PC on Private Servers.
Those who play PC on Official Servers.
Those who don’t play on PC.

Technically you could say there are those who play on consoles on private… but there’s like maybe 12 of them total on 30 servers. Yeah the math is crazy. I’m being sarcastic… just a bit. You get the idea, there’s not many of them.

Those who play on PC on private servers don’t see many issues. We’re called a vocal minority, but in reality, there’s a ton of us. I know, I’ve got about 20 or so players on a server I currently help with, and a clan of 6 who don’t have issues. Well… they do, but usuaully caused by a mod… so those don’t count, since I have to fix those, not Funcom.

Those who play on officials. Yeah they see some login issues. Gportal is not good. I’ve had about a 50/50 run with them. 50% they were fine. When I first used them about 2 years ago. Might have been Early Access. I dunno, but they were fine then. New server… they were fine. Until they weren’t. Back in January we launched a server and it ran fine. About 22 mods or so. Did alright. And then sometime in April I think, maybe March. It went to hell.

Couldn’t get the server to show up on browser, when you direct connected it ran badly. I thought we were going to have to wipe. This looked like a heavily corrupted database by the symptoms. But I did my diligence and tested it in SP. The Database was fine in SP. No issues. So I loaded it on multiplayer locally and again no issues. We had a ticket in for Gportal but a week nearly went by and no response.

So we pulled the trigger on Serverblend with the same database, same mods, same ini file. Game ran fine. Has been since. Our datebase is currently over 200 days old (1/4 of that of an official). Since then we’ve added mods, dropped some, and still have no issues. Server pops up on browser. And just as long as you’re on a SSD, you load in quick. Hey… when you’ve got 5GB of mods, it takes a minute to load the game on a HDD.

This can apply to those who run into bad luck playing private, and on Gportal when it gets squirrely.

And then you’ve got the console players. They get all the BS of the officials, and the shenanigans that comes with playing on a controller. Not to mention they have to play the game on medium settings making it look like Turok or Goldeneye from the N64. And then when Microsoft Live or Playstation Network burps, they well you get the idea.

So there is three vastly different experiences. And that causes alot of frustration between us. Funcom screwed up in two major ways.

First one was keeping parity between PC and Console. That should never have happened. Consoles don’t have the hardware of PCs. What runs well on Testlive will not run well on Console. That’s just basic physics there.

Second one is putting us in one forum. Console should have their own forum. I mean we cannot play together. We don’t even play the game in the same way. Case in point, how many console archers can keep three or more targets crippled? How many can animation cancel in a combo? (that one some of you might be able to do, assuming you can remap controls to specific hotbar slots). To put it shortly, we’re playing two different games here. Even if all bugs were fixed and the game ran smoothly, we’d still have friction because of this.

First one is out. I doubt that’s going to happen this far in. But the second one is as simple as adding new general sections for each platform. Really this should be done. We’re not playing the same game as each other. Even when I use a controller, its a vastly different experience.

1 Like

I would be happy not to have all the whistles and bells of PC to have my Ps4 game running smoothly. If we can’t utilize it why have it taking up space on our hardware.

Yep. Us Console guys are the PoS’s that are holding the almighty PC version back. Thanks for making that clear for the umpteenth time oh PC overlord who needs mods to make the game suit thy own taste. Yet ye king of gaming tech thinks he knows more about the base game in this conversation than some console players who are intruding on his glorious PC forum.

3 Likes

I never said you were holding us back. I said we were dragging you forward to the point your systems cannot keep up. This game has had at least 20-30GB added to it since release. And unlike most other games that are insanely large. Its not loaded with cutscenes, music, and voice acting.

And how the hell did you get that out of my post, yet the poster above you understood what I meant? Is he wrong? Or you just going to make another personal attack?

“First one was keeping parity between PC and Console. That should never have happened. Consoles don’t have the hardware of PCs. What runs well on Testlive will not run well on Console. That’s just basic physics there.”

Your words seem to indicate without the parity, PC’s version we better serverd. Thus, console holding back PC version.

To be fair, in that quote you mentioned what i came to understand was that they make the game base on the PC version and confirm that everything works fine through testlive (PC), and end up facing a whole new wave of bugs when it gets ported to consoles, due to lack of testing on the correct platform. The concern here are the bugs and issues that this causes.

In no way this means holding back, just a lack of foresight for not taking into account the differences between PC and console, when adding content.

I’m not saying that this is true, just that it seems reasonable. Do consoles even have a testlive version?

2 Likes

No.

3 Likes

That doesn’t seem good, lol

Thanks for the answer btw

2 Likes

I still have no clue how you got that out of what I said.

Conan Exiles was not a port from Console to PC. It was a port from PC to Console. They make changes, push them to testlive for PC, and if they work, they push them to live. When they work out the kinks on live (mostly), they push it to Console.

How is any of that holding PC back? Explain that to us. Literally you’re the only one who got that out of this so far.

You seem to be wrapped up around this weird idea that I’m trying to put down consoles. And you want to take this to a personal level. There’s no reason for that (and if needed I can get ugly if that’s the route you want to go.

The reason why I want console to have their own forum is you all literally play a DIFFERENT game than us. Even though I’ve been short with a few people here, I’m not so heartless to not try to walk in their shoes. I’ve tried the game with a controller just to see some of the differences.

They’re stark. For example someone asked about how to cripple with Archery when the time is so short. Being on keyboard and mouse. Its not hard for PC to keep 3-5 crippled. But with a controller, you’re lucky to keep one. Where I can have nearly 95% accuracy with a mouse, I’d be lucky to see 5% with a controller. That’s only one avenue where the game is different. Animation canceling is also not a thing on console (unless you guys can remap hotkeys to single buttons). These little differences add up.

So let me pose this question. When you see all these PC oriented discussions on some of these topics that have nothing to do with console, what good does it do for you? Nothing. Just like console specific ones do nothing for PC.

What they are doing, is causing confusion, disconnects, and frustration.

We’re already separated by platform. We can’t play together. We have different issues. We have different priorities. Why jumble over each other? Its not about one being better than the other. We’re just so different we can’t communicate anything.

Hopefully that makes sense.

1 Like

You left this part out that i was addressing. Read that and not infer that PC has limitations due to parody between systems.

You conveniently left that out of my response, thus not getting the context and seeing what i was seeing. in your comments about parody.

I don’t know, man. Even I read that as “this causes problems for console” over “this holds PC back.”
It’s more that PC has no limitations but that means developing to that then pushing to console causes a bunch of issues for us console folks, which I would definitely believe. Especially considering I’m on an Xbox One S and my roommate is on an X and he sees way fewer crashes/issues than I do.

IF you read the entire post, it hints with negativity towards consoles. There are low numbers on privates to the point of a joke, how we can’t do this or that, thus do not benefit from testlive (which is a lie, as i have both the PC and console versions, and have a mjority of the time been able to learn on testlive pre console launch the new mechaincs and stats). And that take that consoles v PC is the forum issue takes from the reality the issue on forums rarely is PC v Console. It is a majority of the time PVP vs PVE effects of mechanics and balance changes.
Bugs will never be identical, not on any 2 PS4’s, not on any 2 Xbox’s, not on any 2 PC’s. And if they are, then those are the easier fixes for devs, because it is usually tied directly to the game and something introduced in the last patch/update. The ones we don’t see fixed as quickly, or ever, are ones that are rare and unique to individuals regardless of console or PC, making it hard to replicate on devs end.

You can believe what you want to believe. I’ve explained it, twice now. Others get it. You don’t. I’m not doing it a third time for you.

If you want to believe I’m doing something nefarious to end all of consoledom. Then that is exactly what I am doing. Its my insidious secret plan exposed.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.