There are too many thralls!

Now that thralls no longer require upkeep, official PvE servers are being swamped by hordes of thralls and pets. People are deploying them all over the map, including all around other peoples’ bases.
Sure, players have always tried to block other players, but in old times it was done with foundations, which, in a sense, is more honest, since you had to visit them regularly to prevent them from decaying. But you don’t have to visit thralls. You just have to login once every 2 weeks. Other people can’t kill them, and can’t even lure monsters to dispose of the thralls, because the monsters will either only attack the player who lured them, or walk away peacefully, completely ignoring the thralls.
Please consider giving us back the feeding system, at least on PvE servers!

3 Likes

This is what happens when sadly funcom didn’t think before removing it and put in place a a fail safe from having them in huge numbers, I believe the food system should come back just make more food option choices or low-grade food for upkeep not gruel. And higher grade foods for defensive buffs and attack buffs and increased regeneration when out of combat. However this is the biggest problem with funcom while I adore them. They seem to have a constant problem removing features with out thinking what would happen when it been removed such as a billion thralls. Obviously there needs to be a cap on the amount clans plus individual players can have. Clans obviously deserve less due to the number of members a clan can have vs a solo player. But if funcom wanted help I would gladly work for free to be sure this oversight is done. But that’s pretty much all I am good for haha.

1 Like

agreed. the feeding system was the way to keep obscene populations at bay. no more. and considering it’s easier to flood the map with pets and thralls than it is buildings, game over.

1 Like

I’m beginning to see this problem is more serious than I thought, especially on PVE

On official PVE server that I’m playing is also swarmed by more than 1000 of thralls across the map, now that the purge is more dangerous, everyone just deployed 10-20 thralls on their wheels and bases everywhere.
The server is always crash like once every 3 hours, at first I thought it was just a terrible service provider, now I think too many thralls on the server might have something to do with this.
When Funcom implemented the system that only once bedroll can be place at a time, they stated that too many bedrolls on the map will cripple the server performance…I bet that hordes of thrall will effect the same, there should be a limit or solution to this, the numbers of thralls are increasing everyday and
server performance is getting worse and worse.

1 Like

I am gonna deploy 100 more just cause

It is an issue. On my old server there are tons of pets placed almost everywhere now. Just there. And nothing can be done. I’m on PVE C . so the only option is boss dragging really.

Which I don’t do. So they just stick around indefinitely.

I have a small group of thralls. I keep most in a box until the other one gets killed. I fire them or they need to move somewhere else.

2 Likes

Agreed. Thralls and pets need a localized upkeep system (feeding) as well as a “destroy” option on the radial menu.

2 Likes

According to Funcom the thrall/pet decay is MEANT to be refreshed by player being in the vicinity. Not simply by an owner logging in. This was stated both by Tascha in a post but also by Rob in a stream.
This has not been my experience since the removal of death by starvation and implementation of decay. I’m currently retesting this claim to see if something has changed in the code.
If others can be bothered then do the same - strand an unwanted thrall a long way from your usual play areas and don’t visit for 16 days … the thrall should die on the 15th day.

(Of course the issue the owner vicinity resetting timer is we have NO WAY at all of telling if we have gotten close enough to our thrall and for long enough to reset the timer…there is no ingame way to tell. And when you have a large base it’s going to be tedious to have to run around it and stand close to every thrall just to reset their timer.)

In all honesty it should have been allowed to be removed or toggled off technically from server settings for people who didn’t want to feed the pets because clearly farming food was too hard? I have more food than I can consume. I’m actually throwing it away now just using it to get stuff from fish ichor past that I consume, meats for serious things and honey full time for overall upkeep. Honey is way easy so was fish and then turn fish in to meat strips, the actual issue with feeding was the thralls didn’t have a wide range of options to feed them. But this will actually only get worse before it gets better. An honestly funcom should address this as soon as possible before offical servers become so bogged. That people stop playing.

The way to tell if you have gotten close enough is for them to render and be visible to you from a distance I would assume the same amount of feeding range which use to be 50 meters. Not I’m not good at math or meters or metrics. So I just usually pull out the repair hammer for stuff I recall it use to show mental their decay times just like buildings. So I’ll test it or you can either way.

The decay system has to come back and needs to be based off the tier of the thrall if no food comes back. T4 Thralls longest duration T3 second longest duration and so on. If a thrall does die. The loot back doesn’t decay until 24 hours pass so that you can regain the stuff that they were carrying on them. Or better yet just T4 and T3 decay, no one should have an issue wiping out the lesser two tiers as they are a few hits each.

I don’t like the destroy idea, I’ll accidentally hit it. Just walk them in to a spot let a mob hit you they defend you, just wait to they die. Lol. But agreed

Can we not contribute to the problem please? Only if it’s to defend your base in PvP should you do so. Until the problem is remedied.

No, we don’t want the feeding system back, its boring and redundant. Yes, Thralls need to be on the same timer as the bases for decay. Even trying to boss kite doesn’t work as half of them are in the air. The spam thing isn’t really a problem on our server, but the unsightly floating thrall was supposed to be addressed at least and never was. Please change the decay timer for bases AND thralls to 10 days and make everyone happy, thank you.

Except this is an assumption on your part. Funcom has not stated what “close” is.
I’ve pulled my repair hammer and looked at thralls and pets - it does not show their decay time. Their decay timer is not visible when you interact with them. It is not visible on the thrall pot/feedbox. There is simply no way we can tell if we have gotten close enough to them for long enough to renew their timer.
ALSO I know from experience that it takes variable time for the game to register your presence to refresh a decay timer on objects you own. Usually I have my repair hammer equipped as I approach my bases … so I know that often the base time has jumped back up to 168 hours before I step onto it. BUT there are times when it does not and I have to stand on the base for a variable amount of time before the game resets the decay time … and THIS is what concerns me about the vicinity refresh of thrall/pet decay time … we can’t tell if we have refreshed their time to know if it’s safe to move away from them.

On Pve servers we can’t damage our thralls at any time…so we can’t kill them off by hitting them. We have to spend more time destroying them - like moving them into the vicinity of spikes, creating a fatal drop plank where we place them on it and then destroy their support so they fall to their deaths, take them to a boss where they will die. It’s an annoyance and time consuming.

I don’t know how long a loot bag lasts if a thrall dies, but I doubt it’s 24 hours. It will be a set short time and if you are the first on the scene after they die then you probably have time to get it, but if someone else renders the area then you won’t. Again on PVE we can’t touch other peoples loot bags so they are simply gone. Also I’m not sure that with this new system if there ARE lootbags … the game despawns the thrall/pets not kills them.

I do have a rough estimate of the loot back which is 15 minutes. But that’s my experience, I completely forgot about PvE servers yeah I can only imagine what could be going on there. But again a reason funcom should have thought about removal and servers to which you cannot attack them. So yeah a lag spike just in any spot would be horribly horrendous. I can only assume making a post and getting as many as you can whom are in such straights as well could help. As funcom should take notice.

As far as the repair hammer is I figured it may work and hoped the suggestion would help do something in any way to help.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.