Thrall feeding system

May I ask why you choose to play a time consuming survival game after all, if you don’t want to invest time in survival?

Not all survival games have to be the same tough. Some like Ark for all the dinos but hate having to feed them as it slowly becomes a chore. So, they switch games. Here, thralls are human not wild animals. One would expect they could fend for themselves especially in their current state which makes them worthless half the time.

No one has qualms feeding pets, it’s mainly the thralls.

You do realise that feeding yourselves got a lot easier during early access? Have you ever struggled to get food for your character after the frozen north add on?
I think it’s only fair to add more to the survival challenge of this game.

2 Likes

What is there to explore at Endgame? I have explored everything. Now I work on doing stuff. Getting resources, Getting mats, getting food to keep me and my operations alive.

If I have to spend a hour farming meat for my thralls so what? It’s fun. I am actively doing something. I am working on a goal. I have my thralls that need to be taken care of. It’s not like I don’t spend a hour farming stone or iron, or hide or anything else you have to farm. You have a big a base and big plans. It takes actual work and sometimes it is not very fun but you have to do what you don’t like to do what you do like. Example, farming hides is not very fun but making the booms are. So what do you do? Not make the booms? Or just suck it up and farm the hide?

Adding a decay timer still wouldn’t fix the issue of having lots of thralls around the map cause you just have to pop over look at them and leave and boom. Decay refreshed. They are trying to actively get people to stick to one central base instead of having people spread all over the map and have 6 to 7 back up bases they can fall on. You should have one central main base where all your thralls are and every other base you have are just little way stations. Gone will be the days of big alphas having 7 main bases riddled with named archers and fighters.

TL;DR if you don’t want to farm and actually play the game. Don’t farm up 500 thralls for 5 different bases.

1 Like

Most of these people here didn’t play EA and are just on PVE servers so they can’t seem to wrap their head around the balancing issues needed for PVP.

Started playing at launch, so no I have not.

The game needs more challenges for sure, but micro management is not what this game requires. How about better ai on enemies? What about dungeons and bosses? Environment?

There’s no questioning the game is very easy for sure, but adding an unnecessary grind for food (Which despite people keeping on clamoring to use gruel, there has been no official message stating it being true. As the current state is god awful) is not the correct step when thralls behave horribly.

As for Mango, I seriously don’t understand your complaints. If you’re on a pvp server you can simple kill their thralls and destroy their bases. This “feature” is being added EXCLUSIVELY because on pve and pve-c servers we can do nothing to fix those issues.

I agree that something should be done to remove thralls from areas where their owners no longer are. I would suggest that they have a timer within a give period of inactivity from their player/owners and then they can just disappear as if going back into the wild or where they originally came from so to speak. Having to worry about feeding thralls is stupid.
Seriously if you want to go out all realistic then why don’t our characters have a sleep meter so we have to rest. Why not change how food works? Like really I can sprang an ankle and then eat some salmon and then it heals itself? lol. How detailed do we need to be? If we have to feed the thralls I think we should also have to take time to repair their armor and weapons as well. Is their stomach the only thing that matters?
I am okay with restricting sizes of thralls that can be had but remember this game was marketed on “you can have your own army” and generally most armies are not 1 or 2. This game is bad enough with farming as it is and I generally am about the only one active in my clan. I sometimes spend more time working on resources then I do really adventuring. I appreciate the idea of wanting to clean it up thralls left but don’t punish active players.

Sure all good changes that would change gameplay for the better honestly. You will have to repair their armor and weapons though. They will lose durability over time over the course of battles.

I am all for a sleep meter. That would be interesting. Being able to sleep the night away. Or sleeping through the day so you can be refreshed and not exhausted and have a stam penalty for a night time raid for example. Food should lose it’s regen abilities. It needs to be bandages and potions for healing I agree. Food can make you heal better though, if you are on full hunger you heal 20% faster then you would if you were starving.

But feeding the thralls is really the only solution to this problem as of right now. Even with a decay timer they still could pop back on and refresh it. And the point of this change is to get these big clans to condense their thralls down to one or two bases max.

Uh, I beg to differ. Most people are against this system (see reddit link below):

An excerpt on the specifics of how it works on testlive for those who don’t feel like clicking:

“Different types of thralls will only eat one of three very specific types of food. For example, Fighters from the Heirs of the North clan will only eat Roasted Haunch, Roasted Mushrooms, or Cooked Exquisite Meat. If you do not feed your slaves their preferred food types, they will refuse to eat and starve themselves to death. I didn’t even get to check what types of food my Entertainers liked, since they pretty much instagibbed as soon as I logged in. And I assure you that my thralls at all my other bases were completely screwed, regardless of their type and relative HP.”

This is something that is going to be taking up a lot of players time, for no good reason. If it’s ‘fun’ to you, great–most of us do not share that opinion.

I keep seeing the magic word ‘balance’ being tossed around, which is nonsense. Balance is a myth anyway. Games must embrace inequality to a degree, or everything would be tedious and not fun. This feature is a prime example of why.

You can only damage them during raid hours sadly. And ontop of that the lag caused by the excessive amount of them makes it hard to actively raid a base without causing you to rubberband like crazy. Then there are the bases who have decayed and have 100 thralls in the air that no one can really attack as well.

It’s a issue for both sides of the world.

Okay? Well what’s stopping powerful clans with a lot of people from having that many thralls, and keeping them all fed? Nothing.

If they wanted to fix that issue, they could introduce a thrall cap per clan. That is clearly not their intent here.

If you are level 60, farming the required food components and caring for your thralls will be no problem. It will be a bit more of a struggle for new players. But that is the point, the struggle.

1 Like

Well, guess what? It is a problem. Even though I’ve put hundreds of hours into the game since launch, I am a casual player. I don’t have the time to log in every day to replenish supplies of very specific cooked foods for each thrall. Thralls that, might I add, I spent hundreds of hours obtaining (all T4 named ones).

Thrall cap is bad. And no it would still stop the powerful clans from doing that cause feeding your main base thralls will be priority over secondary bases. They still could, in theory, but it would take up quite a bit of time to feed all of your bases. Whereas you could easily combine a farming run and include food in with it as well. Killing some animals for hide? Butcher 5 or 6 of them. Running and getting flowers and leaving agent? Snag some every mushroom you see!

This is not a casual game.

Well… PVE and PVE-Conflict servers are kinda casual friendly so I beg to differ.

1 Like

Everything that get’s loaded in will be dragging the server down. But I do like my decorations and I do have like 10 of those big ■■■ braziers around.

I love those things. They are so big.

PVE and PVE-C servers but what about PVP?

I did set up a topic on suggestions on how ideas on how the Thrall feeding system can be improved upon so that it isn`t much of a chore even for casual players such as yourself. If you want I can post the link? As to be honest I am more of a solo, co-op/ PVE person myself though I have been known to do PVP as well so I set it up so people can work together and come up with great ideas for said system instead of arguing about it.

What Rorik said. This is a casual game to everyone who does not play on PVP. There are a lot of us. And for people on PVP, like it has been said, thralls can simply be killed by players. The lag they cause is not really that bad, even on my aging PC.

And sure, go ahead Hrukk12 though I doubt it will do us any good. It looks like they have made up their mind on this subject already.

1 Like

Still trying to figure out this forum so sorry for having multiple posts.

Feeding thralls should be simple honestly. I can agree that the thralls should’t only eat certain items. Instead you should be able to feed them any type of meat.

Dried meat, roasts savory, feral, whatever it be. It should just be a form of meat you have to feed them and not get super carried away. Then they should have the thrall pots have a big radius. You could even maybe have it be as big as a god shield from a altar so any thralls that fall into the radius will be attached to it.