Thrall not attacking issue

Fortyniners, I really wish you could take that a bit further, it would be a good dev-clue. Solo/online? Mods?

How many hours/restarts? Same with server restarts?

We are looking for patterns over a period of time, since the problem wanes and waxes.

I have gone for days without a problem, then have a period of weeks with problems.

It could be valuable.

Regards

jim

My archer fights well if he has a bow and a spear. When I give a two-handed sword, he ceases to fight. Single player game. No mods.

Dumb question, but is the common factor the weapon type? (As in is it all two handed swords that make our thralls derp? )

I didnā€™t see any real issue with thrall fight right now.
Did different tests on different saves, then also went to some servers.

Sure i didnā€™t check all bosses with all thralls, simply not the time to do so.
But yes, describing you problem more in details would help.
There was still moment where a thrall could stop fight for x reasons, but this are very sparse moment, and verry random.
Again, experiences may be different from player to player, and depending where you play.

1 Like

Well ā€¦ today things seem to be working fine for the most part. Tested 2 different T4 thralls and a T4 bearer on a variety of targets and weapons: giant spider, scorpion king, and bosses in unnamed city using Sword of Crom, whirlwind blades, Pictish axe and shield, and Predatory Blade and shield. Sword of Crom seems to work, but thralls seem a bit slower to attack, but maybe thatā€™s just my imagination. Everything else sees to be about normal.

I play on an official PvC server. Iā€™ll keep experimenting.

nah, My bearer fails to fight all the time.

This is just preposterousā€¦ This is a bug that really should have come up in Test. Itā€™s pretty significant given that it even seems to effect thralls protecting bases now.

Today I spent 30 minutes swapping stuff in and out of a Nord Fighter III to get him to attack. Finally got him to attack, most of the time, in Asgarth and decided to take a peek at the new Bat Boss that drops black blood. Went in and we killed all the normal bats so I was pretty keen to give it a shot andā€¦ he stopped fighting.

Why? This isnā€™t a debatable bug, despite what some would say. Given that a major point in the game is to have Thralls fight for you and defend your base when they donā€™t do it itā€™s a game breaking bug.

Get off your butts and fix it already. Jeez.

My most reliable thralls right now who will engage in the fight at Margulie (sp) 100 Arrows and Lisa O the Longbow.

Both are using Reach of the Red Mother and one has a Venom Infused Pike and the other uses Maelstrom.

Both are behaving and completing their combos.

Dacias is no longer using combos with his Blade of the Adventurer.

I cant remember her name but something The Venomous is reliably using bow and dagger that she came with. She Will backflip as intended and switch back to her bow.

My bearer seems fine.

Bandit leaders are broken for me.

My Dancers seem to work fine.

Its just the fighter thralls that seem not to work.

1 Like

Although things seemed fine earlier today, my fighter thralls are back to just standing around and watching me get owned. My bearer, however, is as aggressive as ever and even seems to hold hate better than my fighters used to.

However, Iā€™m afraid that Funcomā€™s solution to the problem will be to nerf bearer and leave fighters the way they are.

I have been very vocal about this issue (did I use the word livid?) for quite a while, with several topics created, many posts, testing various workarounds and even handing the devs a procedure that will replicate the bug.

One thing I have noticed lately concerning purges, though, may be of interest. All of my thralls and pets behave as they should (no standing around, using combos frequently, immediately engaging, etc.) defending my base. Regardless of the weapon, whether it be a truncheon, two handed pike, sword, any weapon I give them, they all rush to defend.

I cannot say the same when they are simply put on guard or are following. The bug dominates.

Why would the AI be different?

Regards

jim

1 Like

My personal experience: the swap weapon AI bug (thralls not being able after you change their weapon to fight with the new one) was already present before this last patch.

A workaround is to give him back the previous working weapon, make them fight than after the fight re-switch. (it works 80% of the times, in the remaining 20% of cases repeat the process).

But after the last patch there are weapons that seem to be bugged on thralls.

For example, after a frustrating friday evening afflicted by this bug (and without any weapon switch !) until I rage quitted, saturday a lot (4-5) of other regular players on the server where I play all of them confirmed there are few weapons now preventing thralls from fight.

One of them is Sword of Crom, but itā€™s not the only one.

I doubted, because my thrall had tons of fights with that sword, but I tested: if I give him a Blade of the Adventurer he fights normally, if I try to give him a Sword of Crom instead he doesnā€™t.

They said me also this is not the only weapon with this bug, but I canā€™t personally confirm this.

Interesting. I have yet to get a Sword of Crom, but I have experienced the bug with every weapon I give a thrall. I have tried at least 25 legendaries and even more crafted. Eventually the thrall bugs.

While all of the thralls were T4s, the same thing happens to every melee fighter I used, at least 6 of them.

No rhyme, no reason, just bugged.

Regards

jim

So I ran around unnamed city and did a few tests on this. Sword of Crom is broken right now. I was able to get it to work somewhat by getting my thrall in combat, taking his/her weapon from them and letting them punch then placing the weapon into their inventory until they noticed it and pulled it back out. Prior to doing so they would simply walk up to the NPC and do nothing, theyā€™d kick once in a while and have the sword out. But other than that nothing.

The thing that STILL happened though is they would only heavy attack combo once every 10 seconds or so. Between combos they would constantly back away from the target. I tried this with multiple t4 volcano fighter Thralls. One even being a purge fighter.

Went out another round with Adventureā€™s blade in their hand and they just went to it as youā€™d expect.

Other than swapping weapons mid fight. Sword of Crom has been the only thing Iā€™ve seen broken with Thralls attacking since this last patch.

1 Like

Some might suspect that they were trying to ā€œbalanceā€ it since some players were complaining about NPCs being too strong with itā€¦ (Probably the PvPers and offline raiders that simply donā€™t want to deal with surprise death by NPC guards or companions. Shame they couldnā€™t just make NPCs favor other NPCs as a target whenever there is the choice between targetsā€¦ That would probably solve most of the balance issues.)

Iā€™d agree if it wasnā€™t for the fact that you can get your thrall to attack with it but it only does a heavy combo, no light attacks. And it appears to have a set timer between these heavy combos. Another thing I noticed which is probably unrelated and probably just built into Thralls overall is when they are knocked down or stunned they sorta reset this timer. But Iā€™d presume that is probably its own timer stating something like ā€œI need to recover for x seconds after being knocked down or stunnedā€.

There are more examples here. Perhaps some kind soul could merge these threads (@Ignasi) so the feedback, and potential clues, will be available in one spot.
https://forums.funcom.com/t/thralls-do-not-attack/79006/3

Regards

jim

2 Likes

I would have thought that this issue would have been sorted with this patch.

I donā€™t mean to sound hyperbolic but this is kinda of a game breaking issue given the point of thralls is toā€¦ you know, attack.

Game mode: [Enter game mode here: Online official
Type of issue: [Enter one of the following: Bug
Server type: PvP
Region: Europe

Thralls do not attack, even not when enemies are hitting me or I am hitting them. Here is a link to a video I made so you can see it for yourself.

In the video you see the archer hitting me all the time and me hitting the npcs who are following me but my thrall does nothing at all.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. make a fighter thrall follow you (I use Daicas the Sharp, got him long time ago).
  2. Go fight npcā€™s
  3. Hit them, let them hit you
  4. Notice that the thrall is not fighting and just runs to enemy and keeps watching.
2 Likes

Thatā€™s painful to watch. There are workarounds if you search the forums but understand if you donā€™t.

Good illustration of the issue, Iā€™ve encountered this many times myself, particularly when giving a truncheon to a thrall or switching back from one. :frowning: