Thralls/Tames Offline Defending Question

I’m on an unofficial server.

Are thralls/tames supposed to defend your base while offline? I’m asking because twice now someones snuck into my base and stolen a few things, and with the amount of thralls i have in such a small area, theres no way they’d be able to do it without getting killed because they’ve got nasty weapons and armour equipped and they’re placed pretty good. I know you’ve got the “run and quickly take all” possibility, but still, hard to do unless im missing something.

Truth be told some of them are on guard area, which after reading a bit into just now (if im correct) means thay they won’t attack unless attacked? Am i correct? None of them are set on stand and guard, they’re all on either prioritise melee or ranged.

Could someone shed a bit of light on this for me and tell me what would be the best settings to prevent this in future? My guess is the attack everything setting might be the one but im happy to wait for some replies here.

I’d appreciate the insight and help.

1 Like

Depends on the server settings.

Does the server use building damage? If not, then no, guarding thralls do not attack and cannot be attacked themselves, they inherit building settings when guarding and PVP settings when following.

If the server has building damage but also raid timers, then they can only be damaged (and also attack) when raid time is on. They become like static buildings when raid times are off.

3 Likes

Is it possible that your foe is using the invisibility spell to hide from your guards?

Does the server use building damage? If not, then no, guarding thralls do not attack and cannot be attacked themselves, they inherit building settings when guarding and PVP settings when following.

If the server has building damage but also raid timers, then they can only be damaged (and also attack) when raid time is on. They become like static buildings when raid times are off.

How does that work with Purges ?
On PVE Building Damage is disabled. What happens if a Purge comes while offline ?

And, even if it’s too soon probably, how is this going to work with new PVE sieges we’re going to have ?

3 Likes

I’ve looked at the server settings on the server list screen. Here are the following settings for it that I think are appropriate to mention for this situation:

• Combat Mode: Player vs Player
  • Restrict PvP Building Damage is: OFF
  • Can damage player owned structures

The general settings while on server:

• PvP Enabled: box IS checked
  • Time Restrict PvP: box IS NOT checked
  • Can Damage Player Owned Structures: box IS checked
  • Dynamic Building Damage: box IS checked

There have been times where i’m online and people have come to my base and my thralls and tames defend and attack players. I wonder if it is only because I am online that it does this? It’s all rather confusing.

Has no effect on purges, only players.

With those settings, your thralls are immune to damage when you are offline (after a period of time set by the server). They also will NOT attack players when they are immune.

Dynamic Build Damage is Offline Protection. When you log off (after a period of time set by the server) your buildings and your guarding thralls will become immune to damage from other players. When you login, they will lose that protection but they will also be able to attack other players.

So when you log off, your buildings and thralls are safe from damage. But thieves can nab things that aren’t locked behind doors as well as stuff near windows (as thieves can access through them). I recommend building accordingly with that in mind.

2 Likes

Sorry for going off-topic, everyone, but this question is worth answering, because the AI behavior isn’t very intuitive.

There are two aspects that control what your followers will fight. One aspect is the engagement. It controls under which circumstances your follower will fight whatever it recognizes as an enemy. For example, if it’s set to “attack nothing”, it simply won’t fight; if it’s set to “guard me”, it will fight any enemy within a certain range of your location.

The other aspect is what your follower recognizes as an enemy. Pretty much all NPCs are classified as enemies, including purge humans and critters. However, the logic that defines whether other players – and their followers – are considered enemies is not very straightforward.

This logic is controlled by two “questions” the server must ask itself:

• Is PVP currently active?
  • Is building damage currently active?

If PVP is active, any of your followers that are currently following you will consider other players to be enemies. They will also consider other players’ followers to be enemies if those followers are currently following their owner(s). In other words, this affects only followers that are currently in [FOLLOWING] state (not [SCOUTING], [GUARDING], or [RETURNING HOME]); for those followers, it designates as enemies other players and their [FOLLOWING] followers.

If building damage is active, any of your followers that are not following you will consider other players and their followers to be enemies.

Long story short: the answer to your question is that your guarding followers should defend your base from the purge even if you’re not there, but I wouldn’t rely on their effectiveness :wink:

2 Likes

When offline thralls no longer attack players since players can no longer damage them therefor they dont see players as a hostile .

Players can still take your stuff if your offline , it would be best to move all items that are in benches or structures inside a locked area in a locked chest to make sure it dosent happen again . Also maybe look into upgrading your defence , since if someone can just jump in , they will continue stealing in the future if you forget one day to move your stuff

1 Like

Thank you. That’s what I wanted to know.

1 Like

Isn’t a follower while ordered to guard me only attack if there is an interaction with the master (order to attack, or being attacked)?
Or is it different in PVP?
Because in single player, ‘guard me’ follower does not attack enemies in a certain radius. Or am I just too sick of this f… heatwave and mix it up with guarding thralls?

1 Like

I think that’s correct and I forgot to mention it. Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.