Triangle Pieces - I don't mean wedges

I would really love to have Triangle Building Blocks, the wedge pieces are great and all, but they dont fill in the hole between two square pieces. So by Triangle I mean literally a square piece cut in half on the diagonal, so that it would fit on the right angle hole.

2 Likes

This gets suggested a lot, but it’s always the same result. Not feasible. You have to create long versions of every wall type, every door type, every roof type, every fence type, every fence foundation type. That’s hundreds and hundreds of new static meshes, for a very niche item.

2 Likes

And it’s also a UI nightmare for players. People are already complaining about having tons and tons of things to scroll through or filter out when crafting, but this would add a whole new dimension of pain.

Introducing foundations and ceilings in shape of a right-angle isosceles triangle means introducing variants for all the walls, windows, doors, etc. This is because all of the current pieces have the same side length (call it s), whereas the new triangular piece you propose would have two of its sides with length s and the third side would have the length of s × √2. So you would have to have pieces like “Frontier Wall” and “Frontier Wall (wide)”, or something like that.

Not only would this introduce a whole lot of clutter in the crafting UI, it would make it easier for players to make certain painful mistakes. Have you ever made a mistake of crafting a fence foundation instead of a wall or vice versa? Or even better, crafted a Frontier frame instead of a Frontier wall? Or 50 of them? It’s happened to me more often than I’d like to admit, and it’s a painful waste of materials and time.

So yeah, not really feasible in terms of dev efforts and logistics, and not really that good for the players, either :confused:

Fortunately, there’s a lot that can be done with the pieces we have. Here’s a thread I’ve bookmarked that I return to for inspiration:

This is what I look at for examples of what can be achieved.

Many thanks to Shadiversity for his work.

3 Likes

Before i got smaller is better sickness, i adored that build by Shad. Still belive i can build it by memory :slight_smile:

Rather than triangle piece, I would call it half piece. But yes, this would be a nightmare to implement. I SUPPOSE they could just add a “stretch” mechanic where existing building pieces are stretched to fit automatically but that might wind up causing its own set of horrific bugs.

and strange looking textures and edges

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.