Tweaked momentum-based movement - Feedback thread v2

No it’s still there, rolling is still tiny and the charge up run is still there, just not over the top.

As people have said, the change was made for a niche part of the game yet affected everyone. This was not the best way to make PvP more challenging. Handicapping everyone so a small selection of players can have their way is not anyway to balance anything. They should add tools for you to trap, cripple or stun those who run away, by doing this they affect the direct problem and can make PvP actually fun and challenging

3 Likes

Not questioning Aldenya, but has anyone else noticed this?

My horses seem exactly the same as before the hotfix, now. I haven’t noticed any difference there.

Only movement change I did notice (and of course right off) was player movement. I still feel the momentum myself, but it certainly has been pulled back to what persisting players have been used to in the past.

However mounts seemed untouched…

Thank you thank you thank you! Yesterday was the first time I actually enjoyed playing since the update. I feel like a warrior again, not some doddering old woman hobbling around my base. The adjustments to the movement system are so much better now. Thanks again for tweaking the momentum.

4 Likes

Not trying to be antagonistic, but could the people saying its ‘bad’ or a ‘bad system’ at least expand on why?

There have been many reasons and solutions given for why the momentum was way to slow and hindered game play, but so far the only two reasons I have ever seen as to why people liked being restricted to a much slower game play has been:

1. PvP people roll away and disengage
  2. Some people perceived the slow movement as being ‘realistic’

Are there any other reasons people want to be slowed down again besides these? I am genuinely interested.

If those 2 reasons truly are the only reasons, I still firmly believe the current state is far superior.

For:

1. There are other ways to adjust PvP to resolve how easy it is to disengage then crippling the rest of the game (to essentially touch on and adjust a singular, small aspect of the game). Not only did the momentum not really solve the problem of disengaging anyways, as all players suffered from the momentum issues, it just dumbed down fights and caused people to just stand toe to toe with each other and hack and slash. This was actually far worse combat.

But there are already solutions in the game for players that run, Arrows, Orbs, traps. If these are difficult to use, they could be adjusted, or even added to with other options, like Nets (barbed, poisonous, corrupted nets?). Combat could apply a condition either logically through physical reflection (pressured) or mentally (enraged) that causes combat to be harder to run from with maybe a penalty to Stamina as you try to create distance from your enemy.

It seems like there are endless ideas that could resolve the issue people are annoyed with, without crippling the other 95% of the game time we spend on Conan, and putting in artificial time sinks/and false challenge.

1. Well, on this one, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Personally it didn’t feel realistic at all to me. It just felt like input lag. There was certainly to far heavy of a delay to even get close to mimicking reality. However, I don’t think ‘realism’ even if it were to be closer, shouldn’t be a driving factor behind a change. ‘Fun’ should be the #1 factor, and it just wasn’t fun. Combine 2 years experience in the game, with at least my personal focus being on building, it was just a hindering, crippling experience. It was put in the game for a minor problem that could be resolved in other ways. It just wasn’t fun. And at least 60% of the forum feedback agreed that it wasn’t fun. If you weigh that against the 16%, well, I would think it makes sense to design towards what the majority find ‘fun’. Realism takes a back seat to that.

All of this really doesn’t matter that much as your discontent will be resolved with the server option/control and at that point, everyone gets essentially what they were hoping for and you can go back to your superiorly slow system.

But is there any other reasons save for those 2? I haven’t been able to come up with any further, nor seen any other reasons posted. I am interested in expanding my perspective as to why people actually like it the other way.

2 Likes

As one of the people complaining about the movement changes due to their PHYSICAL REAL WORLD IMPACT on me, I am absolutely thrilled with version 2.0. It is definitely different from pre-patch but my stomach is no longer complaining about it. I was actually able to play and enjoy the game for hours last night!

It is not exactly the same as pre-patch, and I tried several different armors to see how the movement was impacted. In light, I almost felt like there was no impact other than some minor stuttering if I tried to go from sprint to run or in turning. In medium it was a teeny bit more noticeable. In heavy I was most affected by the change.

Am I ok with this version? ABSOLUTELY. Thank you for listening.

3 Likes

I personally haven’t noticed any changes in the way mounts handle. Furthermore, Tascha has confirmed – before the patch – that changing the players’ movement would not affect the mounts’ movement:

(you need to click through to the thread, because “Yes :slight_smile: Correct” isn’t a very good summary of what was discussed)

I can say it in a shorter way:
#gitgud ^^

Ppl complains without even trying, me (not a so skilled player) managed to “master” the new dodge in what? a couple of hours? The only thing I found clunky was the grabbing onto cliffs and walls, but all the momentum in moving (or dodge as I said) was not so bad. Maybe could have been tweaked a lil’ but surely I would not return to previous balrolling away like a ninja turtle!

1 Like

It is alittle better, but still not as effective as the original system that ran perfectly. Now you can address the rolling, that is still unacceptable for the masses.

Agreed. It was perfect pre-patch, then a few pvp people complain and mess it up for the majority of the players. I say put it back the way it was for running, flipping, and such and create traps you can use to stun, cripple or knock down running opponents.

I applaud you for listening and making changes so quickly, it’s great to see such a responsive team!

• I’m gateful you’ve kept the significantly improved roll and encumbrance behaviour
  • The new momentum speeds are definitely better than pre patch which was too slow from stand still, however now perhaps a bit too quick… Not practically, however relatively to the roll speeds the other movement speeds seem disproportionality fast
  • Ideally we would get something between the new and old speeds
  • I am experiencing a new bug where the jump key press is often not recognised when already running

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, much improved! Movement is responsive again with just a hint of inertia, just as I would guess that a physically fit person living in a barbaric world probably move. Thank you!

4 Likes

The Roll should be slow, it allows for more skilled PVP.

Does anybody else see the humor in this?

Not really. it makes for a game sucking. The game is not only PVP it has a story line, creatures, etc you need to survive. PVP is just a tiny part of the game. So why ruin it for the rest of the game just to senselessly kill another player.

1 Like

It’s pretty much perfect as far as i’m concerned. Extremely grateful for Funcom’s tweaking of this! :metal:t4:

5 Likes

PvP player here,

The momentum feels as though it isnt even there, maybe .1sec delay before run starts. i believe it should be .2-3 sec delay.

As it is now, movement is better than the roll, though the roll has a place and works. the movement speed is slightly to fast.

I disagree. Movement speed is still slower than before. The roll is actually in slow motion, and must be tweaked faster.

I do not understand theses PVP players who want to play the game in slow motion like the matrix movie! And this is only to hunt low level players easier, and be even more toxic than before.

3 Likes

Hello i want to say now its much bether then before .

1 Like

It is a bit slugish but not so bad, I do miss the quickness from before

1 Like

Yes please, the game could use a bit more depth on his gameplay