Upcoming News for Conan Exiles

And why is that?

Interesting how you guys spread your naive expectations here about all the beautiful game functions a new map would have. Please face the reality of this: Tencent has a much higher standard in reading user data and ultimately deducing profitable monetization models. Look at their other videogaming projects and you will get the picture of what is coming for CE.

2 Likes

Seems like that might’ve been directed at me, so,

If you work with business people on a regular basis, you understand quickly that when it comes to acquisitions, they want the status quo, just more of it. Now is the time to assert what we want, and that this Community is engaged and active. We’ve been invited by the developers to do so for a reason, and it is time, as players, to take action. We need to tell them what we think would make Conan Exiles more successful.

I invite everybody to look at the Investors page at Funcom. Please note, there are restrictions:

NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR RELEASE, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN OR INTO AUSTRALIA, CANADA OR JAPAN OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION IN WHICH THE DISTRIBUTION OR RELEASE WOULD BE UNLAWFUL

The news item is titled:

FUNCOM SE: BOARD RECOMMENDS VOLUNTARY CASH OFFER FROM TENCENT TO ACQUIRE ALL SHARES IN FUNCOM

1 Like

Tencent isnt normaly so stupid, to try to sell the wrong mechanics in the wrong markets.

China (or most of Asia) is Pay2win/heavy microtransactoins. I think if your game is online, you arent even allowed to sell the game for money. It has to be free!! There was something with Diablo3, which is free in China. But there you have micro-transactions, which NO ONE else worldwide has.

Do many people from China/Asia play Conan? Are they fans of it?
They have a crap load of MMORPG many people from the rest of the world dont even know that this game exists.

Some MMORPG examples: Swordsman-Online, ASTA Online, Cabal 2, Echo of Soul or Blade and Soul.

Tencent also bought Riot Games, which make LoL.
They are also a big share holder of Epic and Fortnite is still the same.

So I doubt the game will changed into a micro-transaction cashcow. Maybe another future game from FC then, which targets more the asian/china market.

The user data are a different thing. At least in EU you are to some degree protected by the GDPR.

Didn’t that die as a trend already?

2 Likes

According to Nielsen’s game-industry research arm, SuperData, Fortnite brought in a staggering $1.8 billion in revenue in 2019

:smiley: I also played Fortnite for some time
 It was kinda nice, but all my mates went to CoD 3000, and FIFA 4000
 I went to CE instead :smiley:

1 Like

For PVP raiding, it would be an advantage if i could store stuff on the paid map that i raided off of the non-paid original map. Sort of under-meshing the legal way to stash loot.

1 Like

That is my hope as well. I would love a PVE dungeon crawler map for the PVE/soloists
an arena style map that focuses on the melee fighting, and then a raid style capture the flag map that focused on siege. The rewards would place-ables for the main map as trophies, maybe skins for weapons, pets, hell even thralls,etc. This will keep it balanced as far as OG map and non buyers of the map.

2 Likes

I checked LinkedIn a few weeks ago and noticed a few new developers working on Conan Exiles, so it seems in line with focusing more on the Open World Survival genre. Definitely excited to see what they can come up with, especially with more capital and developers working on it. Company mergers are never easy as an employee so hopefully there isn’t a lot of attrition after the potential buyout from Tencent.

The new map is a good change from reskinning weapons/armors/placeables as we’ve had in the past few DLCs. I’m hoping it’s some kind of crossover with Anarchy Online’s biomes/lore, but who knows. Maybe it’ll have to do with the religions in Conan.

Oh I guess I should have been clearer. I didn’t mean every battle royale game died - that’s demonstrably false. What I meant with ‘as a trend’ was that for a while every studio seemed to have a BR game either out or in active development (or both!), I’m not seeing that as much any more.

2 Likes

A new map DLC is a good idea, and I really think that they’ve been needing to wean themselves off this religion of DLC’s being purely cosmetic. I don’t think that DLCs should offer items with game-breaking advantages over the standard game, but additional paid content in the form of maps is perfectly fine.

I’m personally hoping it also means a level cap increase to 70 with all of the new map content being 60+. And before people start howling, we see this all the time with other games. It’s as normal as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

Edit: As exciting as the new map is, I really do hope they devote some time and resources to tackling some of the more persistent bugs in the core game. And do not repeat the fiasco that was the Mounts update.

2 Likes

Pleeeease dont make me rent two servers to have both maps! Pretty please! Not saying it was implied, stated or otherwise; just getting that out there while it’s still being planned

6 Likes

feiern

Yes :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes

There is this one thing I don’t understand

The game is doing well, so lets change the model and now have pay for content? I thought DLC were just cosmetics. Me (as probably many others who bought the game recently) wouldn’t have done it if there was going to be a pay wall for content.

Why change it now that is finally working?

1 Like

They’re not taking anything away from players. Would you prefer they create a new map, call it Conan Exiles 2 and have you pay another $50 for it, just to remain true to the “cosmetic only DLC” model? I would not.

This is a press release for investors. Gamers care about the distinction between a “cosmetic DLC” and an “expansion”. To investors, those are simply DLCs.

1 Like

Title, really.

They are a state owned company out of a very shady country that’s been caught red handed with all kinds of spying and nonsense.

I didn’t know you were 29% owned by them already. I wish I had. But if you let them go majority or complete
 I will forever be done with Funcom and become an evangelist against you on every online medium I can think of.

Which is a complete shame because you make great games. I didnt know you were working on a Dune game, that’s awesome. I love Dune.

However
 do not let this happen :expressionless:

2 Likes

Yeah damn after reading that
 if you let Tencent absorb your company first - you will no longer exist, goodbye! And second, if you do that and go with this subscription based Conan
 what the hell is wrong with you? If either of these things happen I’m just done and sad about it. Because
 damn, what are you thinking??

I am very, very disappointed. I feel like I got bait and switched having this game so drastically change in the middle of its life WHEN IT IS NOT EVEN IN EARLY ACCESS ANYMORE.

What’s next, epic exclusive since tencent owns that too?!

2 Likes

Hmmmmmmmmm

New Map before 2 Major updates promised at E3. I see where the focus is. No sorcery or settlement system then, is what I’m guessing. How upsetting.

1 Like

Honestly, if they get acquired by Tencent, I don’t care if they change Conan to subscription-based or not. Tencent is not a company I want to support.

2 Likes