What all of this means for CE and FC - Is something really big coming up?

The tinfoil hat theories are fun to read and fun to think about, but I have to agree with you here. I think it comes down to this. A funcom game launcher independent of other platforms. Ultimately, none of us know until later in the development cycle when Funcom release it to the public.

2 Likes

I have been doing much speculating as well, although my thought process was more rolling out a massive overhaul instead of something akin to a 2.0. Many of the current (and only current) issues could be linked to behind-the-scenes actions as they rev up for some major release.

With that said, I would be very sad indeed if they went the route of Pay-to-Play, or monthly subscription fee or whatever. WoW was one of the great success stories of online gaming but, to be honest, they lost many people due to the need to continue to pay. I personally walked away because I could not justify paying continually. I’m not arguing the reasoning behind such a move, I just think most companies found you got more flies with honey
or gamers when they didn’t have to keep paying.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you that a mandatory subscription would kill the game entirely. I’m hypothesising an optional that gives some avantages like getting your private server included, additional cosmetics, basically everything we get right now that is not pat to win but with a subscription model that allows a more steady stream of revenues which allows subscribers to get more cosmetic additions to the game while giving Funcom a steady stream of revenues each months which makes it easier and less risky to invest more time revitalizing a game which could live for a long time IMHO if it was less buggy, with à eider map and à larger amount of things to build.

Basically it would be like getting a season pass but you pay each month instead of once a year and for a lower cost overall.

That’s the strategy for newspapers or mobile networks for example. It’s more strategically sound to have people pay a monthly subscription for a lower price than having people pay the full price once a month by buying a phone card for credit, as the former is a more garanteed revenue and therefore allows for more investment :slightly_smiling_face:

Well I understand your situation and I also think that a requirement of being connected all the time is the wrong way to go. I myself play only single player so I totally get your point, in addition to the fact an online game is not available for people without unlimited internet access.

3 Likes

What @Croms_Faithful said. :slight_smile: Back when warcraft first came out, I bought every expansion. When my computer got too old, I stopped playing it. In 2012 I finally broke down and got a new pc, I also picked up a brand new Warcraft for nearly $200, when I got home and started to unwrap my toy, I read the fine print
Pay-To-play. Well the game is still partially wrapped and is sitting on a shelf in my workshop as a reminder, I have not purchased another Blizzard product since.

@TheRedKing76 Daboo :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I feel you fella, 'cause I am in a very similar situation.
Only one difference between you and me:
I’m still holding the grudge for paying 70 (seventy) euros for a game that, still today, it’s not working as intended (yep I’m pretty bitter about that).
So I sadly uninstalled it and moved away, even if I loved Conan for the idea and the artistic direction I will not ever buy anything else from Funcom.

I still think that this COULD have been a massive success if developed with more solid bases, anyway I played it a lot and I got some real good vibes (always offline of course) in the exiles lands, but there is no real actual reason to step back in it today (for me).

Yog blessed me ^^

2 Likes

What internet? So I would guess that you would also remember when we had to fill out cards by the hundreds, for labs. Or the good old days when typing something damn near broke your fingers. My office had a “computer” where I had to change 16" reels, well there were actually 2 computers each was 7’x4’x3’. And do you remember when 8 tracks first came out, or
 Old, me too! LOL :slight_smile: Oh how about when Kroz was the best pc game. :wink:

2 Likes

Alot of people posting old bugs looking for a reason to rage about nothing and spread negativity. Apparently, the forums have become a good way to let off steam. No disappointment here, just a bunch of delusional players with poorly managed expectations.

There is a pandemic going.

If you have an investor who gives you money to develop a product, be sure there is an NDA(Non-Disclosure Agreement) signed that makes it illegal for you to disclose information, which is common sense by now in any game studio. I believe Funcom will release information only about stuff they are ready to reveal to the public otherwise they might get sued by their investors.

All you’re doing right now is speculating on false rumors other players have spread on the forums. Funcom released no info about the new map. No official source said it’s going to be a paid map. No official source said it’s going to be an independent map from the current one.

Also, firespark is just a misinformed person who takes 20min to say 1 relevant sentence, so he’s yet another ambiguous source on all things Conan which I wouldn’t take seriously.

Again, we know nothing about the new map.

The “Game as a Live Service” update was implemented to allow for the game to be launched on Funcom’s own game launcher, which we already know it’s coming from this source:

Conan Exiles 2 will not happen any time soon, not until UE5 comes out next year. Add an average of 5 year development and you’re looking at 6 years at least before you can consider Conan exiles 2.

Best regards.

3 Likes

Hey, we can speculate right now if we want to.

Just remember what Sherlock Holmes said: “It is a capital mistake to speculate without all the evidence. It biases the judgement.” (A. C. Doyle 1887, A Study in Scarlet)

1 Like

Dune is predicted only in 2022 so a lot of bills to pay before then :wink:

2 Likes

@The_gamer00600 you guys are making me feel younger.

2 Likes

Whats a floppy disk? 50bb3ea1469c6

6 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. I was referring to the game industry, not economy as a whole (which I feel is a topic better discussed on another forum).

3 Likes

Not shareholders, owners. Tencent own Funcom now. Or did you not get the memo?

Aww, can you cry a little louder? Noone is starving because of us, if anyone’s starving due to our sanctions/embargoes that’s their leaders faults, not ours.

1 Like

Something is getting weird since the tencent announcement (in the ps4) but I don’t have as much info as you guys (or imagination)
But, regarding what you said: I don’t blame the company if they want you to pay for online services, but, of course first with a sp repaired and fully working, and the option for consoles to host our personal servers (and of course in all platforms the option to don’t pay for online play with a personal hosted server) everything besides that would be not legal, as we bought the game under a minimum standars

Funcom is a public company, which means that its ownership is determined by ownership of shares. Just because a single shareholder owns 100 % of the shares does not change the nature of the company.

1 Like

What does it really matter, the game will be just broken more with whatever dlc or new patch they put put next, still so many things broke from last 3 or 4 patches. Something BIG would be if they fixed the bugs before they put out something that requires more money to buy and brings more bugs. My 10 cents.

1 Like

As has been stated previously by numerous posters
many of the bugs in the game are case by case. What this means is two-fold:

1. You cannot assume everyone experiences the same issues as you. If nothing else, reading through many of these posts should demonstrate that fact. I personally have experienced very few bugs or issues, many of which weren’t even that devastating or had much actual impact on gameplay (both PC and PS4).
  2. If a bug or glitch is not universal, as in not everyone experiences it, then one also cannot assume that it is any easy thing to fix such errors. From my understanding, if a line of code causes issues for everyone the exact same way, then it’s easy to replicate and hunt down the exact problem. If only some people experience an issue, hunting down the source becomes much more difficult if it cannot be replicated in the ‘lab’. A common comparison I see here is the auto mechanic. If I bring him the car and explain the problem but he doesn’t experience it himself, it’s going to make his job very difficult.
4 Likes

lNUh0uV

I just wish more people would realize that this goes both ways. I’ve seen too many people ranting at Funcom and calling them names, but I’m also tired of seeing people saying “the game is fine, you’re all ungrateful whiners”. That’s basically just another way of saying “FYGM”.

And it’s a very good comparison, given that the automotive industry is investing more and more heavily into finding better ways to diagnose and detect problems.

1 Like

Guess you just skipped right over the part where Tencent is delisting Funcom? No more public company, pal. Please, try to keep up with developments before providing your ill informed misinformation in the future.