What does RP mean to you?

RaidProtection :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

RP (=Roleplay) means for me that I behave a bit in character.
I do not speak as my character would, but I build my buildings with defense in mind, although it is a PVE-server with the purge turned off.
In my rooms I put placables (thanks are due to Emberlight and Shadows of Skelos) that are purely decorative and without any real function (most of them, some do have nice functions).

5 Likes

If I were to make an RP server, it would mean to me that I would add additional in game content using the assets (like big castles with dungeons and stuff) and then give my players a story and goals to fulfill.

6 Likes

Pretty and easy to raid.

RP = Raiding Party.

I dont last long on RP servers :confused: competitive PvP habits are hard to drop.

Hard to say, it means several different things to me, I did lots of RP in Age of Conan for several years so those are my main points that create (good) RP:

Authentical and dynamic characters: Some people seem to create their characters and the underlying story with only one certain aspect (mostly moraly good ones) in mind that defines the whole character and makes it seem artificial, almost like an NPC, because it never changes or gets challanged. Being good in every single situation, always playing the super hero that can’t fail anything is making stories boring. I loved playing as arrogant and somewhat pretentious characters (stygian noble woman for example), I also loved it when other people played as the “evil” one who all of the sudden left their team to die in a dungeon and trying to get away with the treasure and became the main villain to the whole story.
Of course you can have a certain feature that your character will only “lose” in the most dire situation and that’s totally fine, even very good! But characters should be dynamic and be able to change over time, especially if they are together with other players characters a lot and have relationships to them (whether those are good or bad).

Fitting vanity gear: Yeah, might sound weird but some people don’t care about their vanity gear and it can kill roleplay a lot in my opinion. If you are in your own villa, having guests and organized a feast, then why are you still running around in that pure PvE raid armor set that has no relation to your RP character? For example: there was someone who played as an aquilonian soldier and used khitai armor even though his story stated he never was in khitai or knew anything about the country.
Same goes for no clothing at all: I know nudity is a very common thing in Conan’s world but it starts to get immersion breaking if every single female character runs around bare chested in the city. There are lots of clothing items (in CE as well as AoC) that are revealing but not completely nude, use them, that makes it a lot more authentic.

Interesting stories to play: Sitting in a tavern every now and then, to meet new players, as an introduction or something like that is nice - but constantly? Nah, that’s really boring. Hyboria (in CE and especially AoC) has so much to offer so you should try to go out there and create an interesting story with an arc that might lead from a rather normal trip to an adventure. Use the world around you and all its features!

"Power-RP": It’s totally fine to lead the story with your descriptions, especially if you had the idea to lead the other players onto an adventure to explore together. But some people start to completely control the actions (and even worse, emotions) of other players characters. This is really bad and can lead to problems (some people get really angry if that is done). Leaving lots of room for the actions of other players in the plot of your adventure is not only important to keep it fun for the others (because they don’t know what is going to happen, they are exploring the story like they would when reading a book!) but can also lead to interesting outcomes that you yourself might not have thought of in the first place, this pretty much leads to the very first point I stated, dynamics are super important!

That was a lot more than I wanted to write but yeah, that’s basically what I think about good roleplay.

1 Like

What do I look for in RP?

A server that’s not running Age of Calamitous, heyoooooo!

(Seriously every time I look for an RP server to try to get into every one I find that isn’t password locked has that dang mod on it.)

2 Likes

I am who I am in real life;
A elder man seeking respite from the real world and its troubles.
A nobody of importance to anybody.

When I am in the game,
I become someone else.
I am something more than I could have ever dreamed of.
I am healthy, vital, powerful, skillful and creative.
I can be brutal or merciful.
I can be selfish or generous.
I can be somber and humorous.
I can be wise and foolish.
I can do things that would otherwise be impossible.

I take on the persona of one who has been warped out of time, taken far from home and placed somewhere unknown and unfamiliar to me.
I am a stranger in a strange land trying to survive and at times wonder whether I want to leave this place or stay.

2 Likes

You must be kidding. In the Conan world. Crom wouldent care what your carracter do. He would be anoyed and kill anyone that tries to pray to him since he sees them as weak

Hey, @Gimpeline, please don’t take this the wrong way, but let’s keep this thread focused on giving people the space to talk about their own interpretation of RP. @Croms_Faithful already has an excellent thread for discussing what Crom should be like in Conan Exiles. It’s been there since December of 2018 and it’s still going strong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate AoC too because of the direction that it went - but I can’t get rid of it because all of my EPIC RP buildings woud go ‘poof’ :confused:

To contribute to this thread though…I agree that it is playing your character in the manner that you designed it to be. You chose your play style, weapons, armor, building location and type and go out and perform your routines and adventuring in the character that YOU created. So when you interact with others players you kinda expect they they recognize the character you portray.

I am the benevolent demigod of my server that causes the occasional mischief & mayhem but then is generous and helpful. I consider myself sort of the DM of my server. When adventuring with others I make it more challenging for my players or I assist as a healer and more.

It helps to have awesome roleplay environments built into your server.

1 Like

mods…

#Triggered

No I am certainly not kidding. It seems you were so busy having a temper tantrum that you didnt realise that the first part of your post:

Contradicts the second part of your post:

Guess youre not the loremaster you thought you were. Furthermore, I dont recall “trying to pray to him” being outlined anywhere in my post. Nice straw man.

Im sorry but I didnt realise that there was a right way and a wrong way to Roleplay and have fun. Could you please direct me to the rulebook? Your objection becomes even more absurd when we consider that a number of Crom features are already in the game! For example:

In fact, a little Roleplaying tactic I use while playing Conan Exiles is to use my chosen Crom Legendary, to deliver the fatal blow to a powerful enemy, such as the Red Mother, then stand over my foes broken body and perform the ‘By Crom’ emote. And well…neither have killed my character yet.

I shall further indulge you here. Even if I wanted to play it to the letter of the lore, at which point it moves away from Roleplaying and becomes something between a re-creation and a parody, it STILL would not violate the lore! For example, the artifact in question could result in the player: 1) getting hit by lightning and dying 2) the player taking on a stack of noxious debuffs such as poison, bleed, sunder, etc 3) it could emit heavy corruption 4) the player could simply drop dead, like we do when removing the bracelet 5) it could result in several high tier enemies, ie-a Purge, spawning in to kill the player. Does that sound inconsistent with the lore to you…? Because I feel that would be perfectly accurate; player does something to draw Croms attention, Crom is resentful and punishes player accordingly.

Instead of acting high almighty, and judging and ridiculing others based on their own preferences, viewpoints and how they play, may I suggest the following instead. Learn to accept the different viewpoints of others. Play the game the way you want and let others play the game the way they want, as opposed to having a self-righteous hissy fit and insisting that others are ‘having fun the wrong way’. Good day to you sir.

PS- Apologies for derailing @CodeMage. However I could not take the reply lying down. And thankyou for the kind words relating to my own thread. But just a wee, minor correction. It was launched in December of 2018 as opposed to 2019.

2 Likes

Yep, that was a typo. Thanks for catching it, I’ve fixed it now.

3 Likes

For me RP means immersion, which usually requires imagination especially in CE. For example if I roleplay a Mitra follower then thrall taking has to become something else in my imagined version (I pretend that the NPCs have been corrupted by other gods and the process of knocking them out and forcing them to work the wheel actually restores their will rather than breaking it and after regaining their freedom they choose to work with me out of gratitude).

2 Likes

Not all do but it is hard to find one that doesn’t. And I am right there with you, that mod is trash.

RP then, or RP now.

In great MMOs like SWG and EQ2, you played what you were.
In EQ2 I played an 800lb Orc who run away from the bad lands and came to the good city.
When in the city, the people would stop and stare and point, even the rats would scurry away when you came by.
Then SOE decided to make both MMOs better by making them WoW clones, and they both died.
Each of these MMO had multi-channel chat so you had normal speak, and RP speak. Here Ive not seen that.

I am on a RP AoC server. They use the main chat for RP and discord for chit-chat. With immersive armor and lots of beauty mods, there are outstanding RP toons.

I use to practise roleplay for almost 15 years now… I began on World of Warcraft and since I can’t play an online game if I can’t see a nice way to hook some roleplay in it.

What is roleplay ? First it’s creating someone that is not me, with predefined skills and flaws, personality and background, with respect to the chosen universe. Then it’s acting like that one, make him/her face of flee dangers, experience the world and more of all meet other characters, make friends and foes and go on adventure with them.

For me “adventure” is not a word dissociable from “roleplay”, as every roleplay must tell a story. The story of my character, the story of the ones that cross my path, the story of the world we all play on. And also in my opinion, on online games the roleplay really begins when you meet others and play with them. :slight_smile:

Now on Conan Exiles, you can find some servers who let a great freedom of liberty and playability to their players without forcing them to follow a predefined story, while the story on others is planned like in a tabletop RPG campaign. Both are very different, both can be great to play on !

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.