70% of People left the game!

, ,

You could not be more right, I would even say half of the problems are performance related. But what exactly is your point? We have to live with them and cannot complain because they are not doing anything about the performance that is clearly causing many of the issues players are experiencing? Or we cannot complain that instead of tackling those issues we are getting new content that will even be worse for overall performance? I’m failing to see your point tbh.

No, a good example in this sense is nothing subjective. When you buy a complete game on its official release date, you expect it to offer a stable and satisfying experience without the notable company of various “anomalies.” In short, a game can be really bad or annoying (which may suggest a subjective judgment), but it has to work “right”. It’s the minimum. Already the frequency and severity of these problems are part of a pattern - a bad standard - in the case of CE.

I do not pretend to say that all games should work perfectly always, but rather that bugs can occur occasionally or rarely, as long as the developer does their homework BEFORE marketing their product. But when this is part of the daily life of a game, it is good to evaluate the situation more carefully. Assigning responsibility to the consumer for not being “tolerant” or “patient” is absurd, since a game must meet certain expectations and basic criteria in its own operation.

As I said in another post, if this type of practice were to become “normal” in the gaming industry, this would generate unacceptable mistrust and insecurity among consumers. Every game purchased might or might not work properly on your system. Who in their right mind is interested in this “lottery”? Again, it is good to reinforce: I am not talking about temporary or occasional problems, but facing it every day. Likewise, I do not even consider it fair for you to invest your money in a “game” project that can (a possibility, not a fact) be realized in the future, except in case you are aware of these delicate circumstances.

3 Likes

You know you can get detailed reports on e.g. Battlemetrics?

3 Likes

It is already normal, and tbh I can live with it, every game has bugs. It is about how many, how obvious, how they can be perceived as gamebraking. In this case we speak about being cleary uncompleted at release and all the worst of the above on top of it. Now even here, I can still be ok if you are actually seeing the game being fixed, when you see they are commited, are communicative about it, do not want to hide it and most important that you actually receive support.

Hey man, since I’m the guy who hamfistedly caused that post, I feel I oughtta say something.

I got my hands on my first Apple at 17, and at 18 when I was a sophomore in college I got ahold of a “PC.” Since then, I’ve pretty much been supporting computers. That said, it took me 10 years to even believe I was capable of doing it professionally. Support is tough. I do believe, based on my track record here and elsewhere, that I could provide proper and effective solutions for Conan Exiles with nothing more exotic than a hand-rolled OSTicket or better. But I’m not running their shop, and they’re not in the support business.

With respect, just because they cannot provide support at the site I referenced, their common Help Gateway, does not mean Funcom does not support Conan Exiles. In fact, I have seen some extraordinary support from @Zing, who showed his chops at Steam even before he was hired. For many notable supportable incidents, he and Funcom often go unheralded. But like I said, they’re not in the Support field as a business interest, and he is only one man.

If there is more support from Funcom, in both the playing/consumption/joyfully making the most of the game, and more time spent in the active troubleshooting (thank you Zing for your dox in the Nerfed Vault thread), players will return. And I can confidently tell my friends the harassing bugs and glitches are being stamped out, while new content is being successfully deployed.

3 Likes

Hey Barnes, I might be completely wrong about Zing, but this is all I know: Blockading on servers

Ok my reaction is somewhat salty, rightfully so or not, I do not wanne get into that.
All I can say is that that was his first reply here after not posting anything for over 1 month, and is now no longer part of https://forums.funcom.com/groups/ConanExilesDev

That you should be getting unofficial support makes it even worse imo, that means that even employees are ashamed at the level of support officially given.

Posted 3 hours ago Vaults are TOO nerfed!

4 Likes

Ok I missed that one :smiley:

Edit: original post corrected

1 Like

It’s cool, man. I wanted to friend him before he was hired by Funcom, he’s not fluffy and he’s actually support. You know it when you see it.

I really don’t think it’s my place to go into detail about support options for Conan Exiles, as I’ve already over-promised their help desk by a month. I think there are a few, in addition to the ad hoc help Zing can peel off.

Personally I don’t think you’re salty. I want my buds to stick around too.

1 Like

Even considering that players can contribute to some of these problems, I believe that Funcom remains the main responsible because planning is also healthy for the future of a game and I believe that many players are victims of “failures” that simply should not be present in a complete game on its official release date.

I disagree with Skinny and Shadoza based on my purchases on ps4. As I said, CE was an unprecedented experience for me in this lamentable sense. If this were an “acceptable” or “usual” practice, people would not abandon this game justifiably because of their own experience or even simply seek out less “unpredictable” games (after all, there would be no choice or escape). In addition, there would be less complaint or protest in the forum as this would simply be “normal”.

I have higher (and fair) criteria for games bought in these circumstances. Perhaps the idea of ​​this practice being “normal” involves more complicity or condescension of certain consumers… but a bad practice continues having the same character. Robberies can spread through a region as a frequent practice, but they remain thefts. And I’m sure that if this product were “better known” - in its real condition - prior to its purchase (at least on its official launch date) by all, that would drastically affect the number of sales of that game.

2 Likes

Hi Azhael, While I’m playing on PC, I have a daughter and so I also have Xbox, PS4 and Switch. For those platforms I would never accept the level of bugs or incompleteness of a game. On those platforms it is supposed to be finished and polished game, I fully understand that you cannot agree on the level of acceptance compared to PC players.

3 Likes

Heya, Skinny. I’m grateful and relieved that you think so. =)

1 Like

People who do not play games on pc expect to turn on the console, put in the (expensive)game they bought and be able to play a finished game as they have bought on a disc in a box, and rightfully so. PC gamers tend to accept more b…ls…t, but even that has limits.

5 Likes

Skinny? Of course he’s salty. That’s his defining quality. It’s also what I like most about him.

Skinny says the things the devil on my shoulder wants me to say, but the angel on the other talks me out of. Agree or disagree with him, his no BS, tell-it-like-it-is approach is always entertaining.

I often share his sentiments, if perhaps not quite to same extent.

Every game forum needs a Skinny holding the devs feet to the fire.
If nothing else, he makes me seem reasonable by comparison.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A little salt adds flavor. Skinny, you keep doing you, buddy.

6 Likes

You just made the same argument that people who hated D2 and Bungie made when comparing it to other games who’s playerbase hemorrhaged.

Fallout 4 lost 87% of its playerbase in the first 3 months.

Overwatch has lost a ton of players but you can’t see how much they’ve dropped because Blizzard doesn’t publish daily players for anything anymore since WoW had a major dropoff.

PUBG lost half of it’s playerbase in 4 months.

Hell Pokemon Go, remember that craze? Lost 2/3 of their players after the 2nd month.

A game losing 70% of its playerbase in 4 months is not surprising, nor outside of the norms of video games. And any game when it releases new content can get people back. Look at how bad Division and No Man’s Sky were.

Games being released in an “unfinished” state are the industry norm now on all platforms. Companies get games out in whatever state they’re in and then through time add patches, hotfixes and then paid DLCs. Paid DLCs on many games are not just cosmetic but core gameplay.

These companies do this because the consumer allows for them to get away with it.

Destiny, the original, is a prime example of a game that did this. People threw a fit that the game was unfinished. People threw a fit that Bungie cut content only to sell it to the players later. People threw a fit that the game was buggy. Then Destiny 2 came out and it surpassed D1’s preorder numbers. D2 ended up being more of the same where people threw a fit and just had a major expansion come out with so many people trying to play, that they had queue to even get into the server.

Welcome to gaming in the 21st century.

I think you did not read all the posts in here, we are talking about 95% or more.

I think you missed the part where I say that I’m ok with that, it is more about how it goes from there.

Thread title says 70% not 95% or more.

Average players in release month, May, was 21,556. Average players last month, 6,678.

Which is a 70% drop, well technically 69% but close enough.

Unless you want to go by peak, then it’s been an 87% drop.

https://steamcharts.com/app/440900

That is for steam players only, there are other sites who gives more detailed reports.

Then list your source for 95%.