A new magic system (sorcery, wizardry)

Greetengs!

Recently I’ve checked an information about wizardry which will be added in Update 3.0. I cannot disagree - this innovation is really impressive! Though, I was surprised that You are going to add only the dark magic in the game. What about the light magic or let’s better call it a “neutral” one?
I mean something based on taking power from the sources of nature which, in their turn, take origins in the depths of the Earth, and even in the depths of the Universe. Something that could be based on accumulation of energy in altars-conductors from the environment by using rare components (gems, shards of items, etc.) instead of sacrifices.
I think, on the one hand using such a magic will take ofcourse much more time and resources, than bloody sacrifice, but on the other hand it will allow to adhere a more humane style of play, if this word can even be used in the savage and cruel ancient world. This stile would perfectly connect to the spirit of light, order and justice of Mitra’s cult.
So, dear developers, I hope you’ll read this topic (wave, if you do :slightly_smiling_face: ), and I ask you to add to the game a neutral magic in contrast to the dark one.

Sincerely Your’s, Etnograf.

Upd.1 (22.06.2022).
I do understand, there nearly wasn’t a “good” magic in the ancient Hyborian Age. I had to be more precise, sorry. I called my variant of magic “neutral” to stress the lack of sacrifices. Phrase “light magic” was used just in contrast to the phrase “dark magic”. I didn’t mean merciful fairies, or something like that.
To clarify my point of view need to say that any interference in the powers of the Universe leads to breaching of the integrity of the existence (if we are taking magic seriously). So, every magical influence is evil more or less. In that case I just wanted to see in game a variant of sorcery that doesn’t have a sacrificial basis in it. That’s all.

Upd.2 (23.06.2022).
Sacrifice doesn’t always mean a bloody ritual. Even when someone dies or gets injured after magical manipulations, it’s only because he interacted with dangerous matters (like common electricity or radiation).
So, I still believe, there is a way to add in game a type of sorcery, that doesn’t need bloody sacrifices. I even think such a magic may be limited by its potential. For example, it may be used to neutralize effects of dark magic, to create force barriers, to heal, or something like that - all depends on possibilities of developers.

Upd.3 (30.06.2022).
By Jimbo.
“…wondering if the god bubbles prevent sorcery in them. That would be a great way to negate the sorcery”.

1 Like

Yeah, there are really no precedents of “good” spellcasters in the setting. Priests of Mitra weren’t D&D clerics casting healing spells and blessings. They were just dudes in robes preaching for people.

The closest characters to being “good” magic-users were probably Hadrathus the Asuran priest (who didn’t really cast any magic of his own, but had the knowledge to use the Heart of Ahriman to cancel Xaltotun’s evil sorceries) and Zelata the Witch (who was able to communicate with animals, but that’s about it). There may have been some other seers, wise folk or shamans who dabbled in the arts without committing themselves to it, but real sorcerers and spell-casting priests tended to be a nasty bunch.

5 Likes

Agree. And I do understand, there nearly wasn’t a “good” magic in the ancient Hyborian Age. I had to be more precise, sorry. I called my variant of magic “neutral” to stress specially the lack of sacrifices. Phrase “light magic” was used just as in contrast to the phrase “dark magic”. I didn’t mean merciful fairies, or something like that.
To clarify my point of view need to say that any interference in the powers of the Universe leads to breaching of the integrity of the existence (if we are taking magic seriously). So, every magical influence is evil more or less. In that case I just wanted to see in game a variant of sorcery that doesn’t have a sacrificial basis in it. That’s all.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the god bubbles prevent sorcery in them. That would be a great way to negate the sorcery.

4 Likes

UPD. The post below is an answer to the message that was deleted.

Well, of course and I agree again! But let’s clarify this moment too. :slight_smile:
Sacrifice doesn’t always mean a bloody ritual. Even when someone dies or gets injured after magical manipulations, it’s only because he interacted with dangerous matters (like common electricity or radiation).
So, I still believe, there is a way to add in game a type of sorcery, that doesn’t need bloody sacrifices. I even think such a magic may be limited by it potential. For example, it may be used to neutralize effects of dark magic, to create force barriers, to heal, or something like that - all depends on possibilities of developers.

1 Like

It actually depends on the books. Of which magic is inherently always a dark and evil force. Even when a sorcerer is on Conan’s side like Pelias; they’re still wielding the same dark powers.

2 Likes

Well, Pelias was a particularly unpleasant person to begin with. He wasn’t even pretending to be one of the “good guys”. He just happened to be on Conan’s side because they had a common enemy (and they both needed to get out of that jail). In another situation they could just as well have been mortal enemies - Pelias had all the makings of a sorcerous villain.

2 Likes

As far as I can see developers are going to add precisely the dark magic in the next update without adding an unbloody alternative. Whatever it goes we need something to confront dark magic that would be both powerful and unnatural. We don’t have to overstep principles of generosity and honor just to get benefits. There’s always a compromise.
Above there was already described all the thoughts on this subject - the one who has eyes to see, let him see. If someone does not agree to my recent post, let him read previous messages.

Just out of curiosity: why?

It seems like Howard’s idea is pretty clear: magic is unnatural and evil. Howard’s sorcerers were powerful, yes, but they would still get killed by people like Conan, who didn’t wield any magic of their own. To quote one of my favorite authors who has nothing to do with the Conan franchise: " No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."

That also seems to be what the devs are going for. Yeah, you can wield dark powers of sorcery, but it requires preparation and effort and you can’t just fart fireballs, so even with those powers you can still be curbstomped by an enterprising barbarian :wink:

2 Likes

I am worried about two things: balance problems and a huge part of content that may pass by some players. And while the second thing is a matter of one’s position (who chose for example Mitra and leave cruelty of other gods behind), the first thing may become a real problem.

For I am trying to link the magic (as if it really exists) to the logic of the real world. Not only to the logic of Conan franchise (which actually based on a kind of real ancient world). And in this way there could be a neutral magic like connecting to the cosmic fibres and energies. Such a way is weaker than bloody one, but less cruel. I wrote about this in previous posts.

It’s Conan Exiles. We always have balance problems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fair enough, but be aware that a considerable number of us bought this game because of the Conan franchise. I would prefer this game to stay a sword-and-sorcery game based largely on Howard’s work, instead of being yet another generic high fantasy game. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(It doesn’t)

Then might I suggest finding another game then? People who are conan fans want to see the game about the conan franchise, not something else

So did I! :slight_smile:

So do I! :smiley:

(as if it really exists)

Adding a kind of shamans as a branch of sorcerers do not ruining the Conan lore (we already have a foundation for this addition in the game). It will affect the lore no more, at least, than those monsters that can be summoned by the statues in the pools on the island of Siptah.

I can pull an exact book reference for each and every single one of them. If you provide a reference for what you’re proposing, I’ll be on board.

1 Like

I think the whole point though is that you DO have to abandon your principles to get these particular benefits. That’s the reality of powerful magic in this setting. You have to corrupt yourself, that’s what they are going for. I do get what you’re saying about minor magics not necessarily being evil, but we already have them in game. For example the orb of Nergal or the witch doctor feat. Afaik in the lore, being a hard-headed barbarian is better metaphysical protection than any spell, maybe even better than religious faith.

In terms of balance, I’m assuming the devs are trying their best to balance the new sorcery against what’s already in the game. Adding another type of sorcery to counter the new stuff seems to me to be adding more elements, making things even less balanced.

2 Likes

Lol…oh raising that skeleton or eight from the dead…that’s fine. What a zombie? How can you live with yourself you corruptible monster. I just don’t view you as human anymore…i mean I can see raising a silent legion but a gory corpse…just too far.

2 Likes

Hey man, I don’t make the rules. Take it up with Cthulhu :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

The fact that you think it doesn’t means that the spell worked. :wink:

Well, what do you think about the episode when Conan was healed by Akiro?