Add a periodic "no climb" debuff to Maelstrom

Thanks, @Narelle and @Larathiel. If you guys can think of anyone you could tag here (and think that doing so is appropriate), I really would love to hear about a beta test experience with the Elder Thing swarm and essence farming.

I try to discover things in the game on my own, but I’m not beyond asking for help. At this point, I really would love to hear from someone who dealt with the (???) essence farming successfully.

“Climbing a rock and shooting arrows is an exploit!”
“Make it impossible to climb, so idiotic AI can hit you”

Are you serious guys?
The solution to stupid AI is to block human creativity?
“An archer should not stay on higher grounds and shoot arrows, it’s not fair!”
Geez tell me I did not read that!

The solution is (would have been) the same since from Exile lands: enemies should be able to climb, to fly, to reach out for you.
Damn freaking spiders are not able to climb, you have to fix that and not nerf your options to fight and face the enemies.
Damn… crocodile should swim and bats should fly… baaah, forget this ^^

1 Like

You should know that a lot has changed as well. Not everything works the way it used to in beta. The storm and surge mechanics were under active development. I know a person or two that could share some more inside on the storm but we agreed to not disclose the names of the beta testers unless they want to reveal themselves.

3 Likes

Can u get banned for killing maelstrom with poison arrows? While standing on cliff or pillar?

Yes, we’re serious. I understand that not everyone spends as much time on these forums as I do, so you might have missed previous discussions about this. If you have, here are the links to them (please don’t blame me for their titles, I didn’t pick them):

It’s not the solution, but it definitely is a solution. And again, you can see from the discussions I linked that nobody is claiming that standing on high ground and shooting arrows isn’t fair.

That would be the best solution. I’d love to see that. Unfortunately, it’s much more complicated than it sounds, and it’s certainly more complicated and costly than other solutions. Only Funcom can tell whether they’ll ever make it happen, but my personal belief is that it’s not likely.

@Mzlady It depends on how far you go with it.

https://forums.funcom.com/t/maelstrom-cheesing-issue-is-a-coding-fault-not-player-exploit/141051/47?u=narelle

1 Like

Yes.

Source:

Another:

in Italy we have a motto that goes somewhat this:
“the bandage is worse than the wound” (but in a more spiced flavour I guaranteee you that)…
Stop looking for bandages, the game NEEDS true solutions, true fixes… I know (I understood a long time ago) that fixes does not produces money but guys come on, gamers demands and needs that things has to be done in the right way.

I’m alway in the mood of coming back to Conan but I read the forum (love you guys) and see not only that old issues are not fixed, but new ones add to the list.
A smart AI and functional enemies should NOT be an issue to fix, they should be THE core of the game:reactive enemies that forces you to use the environment, to engage them in more ways, foes that challenge you to find new solutions.
Until this is done the game will always be a mountain of bandages on a bleeding amputated leg!

(By the way, as an offline PS4 player I do not even know if it possibile to me to play Conan anymore!)
:slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t even have to purposefully cheese the maelstrom, this can happen anyway as a result of you simply not being able to kill the mobs fast enough, then the feedback loop kicks off and buh-bye server FPS…

The mechanic are the heart of the maelstrom spawns is inherently flawed. Just remove it and have a cap of X Maelstrom monsters allowed to spawn at any one time. As the storm progresses the monsters could get more powerful towards the end of the storm, BUT ONLY if players have killed enough for there to be enough free creature cap to spawn larger creatures.

1 Like

You know during a storm, lightning strikes high areas. Make the lightening have a knock back. AOE area, you will get knocked back (like the elephant stomp). No damage from the strike itself, but the fall damage if you are not off the cliff, and stamina loss (25%???). So you can try and cheese it, but imagine having 10 creatures below in a pit, and you get knocked into it. that would be hilarious.

3 Likes

The best solution is to limit the max number of PNJ on one spot. 200 is too much. If there are 2 clans at the same time, the server crashes

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to indicate that 5 players running around in storm, killing the Elder Things and harvesting their corpses, will do the same harm as 1 player standing on an unreachable pillar, killing the Elder Things and letting their corpses pile up.

Maybe just make all the maelstorm spawns immune to gas. This way, you can still poison and bleed, but have to use firespark/set/daggers.

1 Like

That sounds like both a good solution and hilarious :laughing: I like it

The issue is when the kills pile up and new spawns hit. By removing the gassing, it will slow down the kill rate, meaning less dead corpses piling up.

1 Like

Why not direct transfer of +1 ??? to player inventory?

If killing blow is a pet or thrall, goes to their owner. Like EXP.

You would have +1 unstable ??? show up on the right corner of the screen, just like when you’re harvesting normally and you take stuff to the inventory. But with melee or bow killing blow.

That’s 500 harvest actions you don’t have to do while farming the maelstrom. It’s not only better for the server in every way, but it reduces the tedium of having to go around and use a tool 500 times. That’s FIVE HUNDRED times, just to collect the unstable for a max level surge.

Think about the amount of seconds it takes to use the tool. Then multiply that by FIVE HUNDRED.

And you see the problem. Also, server doesn’t need this problem. Sorcery phantasms should not leave behind bodies. Their chaos IS the body, and you could collect it directly…

Like getting pollen on yourself.

2 Likes

Best idea I seen on this topic. Kill the mob, it vanishes (due to being gated in) and the unstable do-hicky just goes into the inventory.
Also, these summoned critters should be attacking the wildlife as well… kind of weird they just attack the player character.
With the no climbing because of being in the maelstrom, due to high winds. Keep in mind everything in that maelstrom should be torn apart. If it is strong enough to effect buildings, as it is in default, it should also kill players, npc’s and the wildlife… a stick flung at 200kph (as an example) will kill you.

2 Likes

Pet / thrall kill goes to the owner. Like EXP. When your follower kills something, you don’t get half credit. Even if they do all the work and you’re chopping trees.

If there are multiple players, the player with the killing blow gets the +1 ???.

You can only have one person harvest a body, anyway. Do you complain about that? Say you kill the Eldrich horror and some clown comes by and harvests the body. Same thing with this.

Is it really an issue?

If players are in a group, they divide the ??? equally among themselves after the 30 min run.

As for bosses, you need a group to do those anyway. You divide the spoils at any rate. Whether you get it to inventory directly, or have to gather it from the ground with a tool. You still manage that in a group setting.

This is far more direct.

The important part is getting the kills and constantly moving in the maelstrom in order not to get surrounded / murdered. Who has time to play janitor?

2 Likes

Not to mention the loot on the bodies is not that great, and easily farmed. I like the idea of killing like harvesting. This would remove the over spawning/corpse build up that is draining server resources.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.