And it's STILL stuttering

I wasn’t thinking about lag or networking, more the back end infrastructure and how it relates to player positioning in the world…
That was my bad, I did write server and not client… not educated enough to know how the single player version works out but I suspect it shares a lot of code?
I also, in SP mode have been able to get vanilla stuttering horribly by changing my GPU settings, but managed to get it playable once again.

1 Like

I tried my 3 monitors but they’re pretty old and all run at 60Hrz. I don’t think a monitor problem would show on the stat unit graph though.

I also tried fullscreen, borderless, with and without Vsync, capping at 30, 60 and 120 fps. I used two mice, three keyboards, disconnected my Wacom tablet.

Basically since I had the game in Early access, EVERYTHING has been changed at least once, and I moved out, I don’t have the same internet connexion nor the same provider ( not that it should matter in singleplayer, but still ). When I installed a new Windows 10 pro last week I ran the game before installing anything else ( no antivirus etc ) except for the required drivers, .net framework, and the stuff required to run games ( Direct X… ).

In the ini I also managed to deactivate Steam so the game can be launched without it ( you can’t use the same character though it’s linked to Steam ). Didn’t work.

The source of this stuttering is a real mystery. It could be an engine issue, but other Unreal Engine open world games with building like Fortnite don’t have the problem. Ark doesn’t stutter either.

It’s driving me nuts. Next step is exorcism.

2 Likes

Please note that in addition to demons, holy water can damage the internal components of your computer.

But yeah, having worked in tech support for many years I can understand your frustration. Sometimes stuff works when it has no right to work, and sometimes it doesn’t work when there’s no explanation as to why it doesn’t work. Exorcism (usually in the form of swearwords in several languages) is a method I’ve used on occasion. Sometimes it works.

5 Likes

Nearly 20 years ago in my hardware class in college my lab partner and I were trying to get a SATA card to work. It had 4 SATA ports on a PCI card. We were going to set up a RAID but could not get the computer to recognize the harddrives.

Took us the better part of a week and we started nicknaming it the SATAn card because it was basically tormenting us at that point. Eventually we flashed the bios and got that updated. When we changed a configuration we started getting weird visual glitches in the BIOS setup.

It was little smiley faces with horns on it. At that point we were like “we’re done here, this crap is possessed.”

Apparently there was some bugs in the design of the BIOS and we were seeing the developers attempt at humor that no one was supposed to see.

3 Likes

A few more things I tried that didn’t work :

• running the game in win 7 and 8 compatibility mode ( you never know )
  • overclocking my CPU to 4,7Ghz
  • disabling the XMP profile for my RAM
  • using RamMap to clear standby memory
  • forcing the game to use 1, 2 or 4 cores instead of 8
  • sacrificing 100 virgins to Derketo

Investigation continues.

2 Likes

The only problem with calling it the game, is there are just as many people who don’t have the same issues as what is reported (people tend to not post “things are great!”). So if it was the game, every person would have the issue. It is a multitude of things, set-up,online speed, firewall, routers, game,etc… Just to pin it on the game is as bad as pinning it on just ones hardware.

Just throwing that out there…

1 Like

I understand your point. I should be more clear.

When I say it’s the game, I’m referring to how games are optimized. If a game isn’t well optimized, it can have varying effects across different rig builds. Couple that with the fact that people who are experiencing the stuttering issue with CE and have tried every conceivable setting to no avail and it happens on single play which rules out connections. Also, the only thing I’m aware of that’s made any difference, better or worse, is patches that Funcom has released. I’m no expert, but near as I can tell, all the factors point to issues with optimization. Here’s one article you can reference: What 'optimization' really means in games | PC Gamer

There can be other underlying issues, however, when so many people have reported that CE is the only game they’ve had this issue with such as myself, and those people have gone through extensive PC tweaking and troubleshooting and have found no issues on their rigs; deductive reasoning shows all that remains that could be at fault is the game…possibly the game optimization, but the game nonetheless.

1 Like

the problem with deductive reasoning, is you can;t have a pre determined decision. It is the hardest thing humans do. We tend to want to prove a theory we have instead of prove what is happening. Detectives try to avoid deducting what happened and just collect facts follow the evidence. Or at least good ones.

the game is part of the equations, 100% agree. But how many different set ups are capable on a rig, and how many different online speeds and networking structures are out there, how much memory is open on each rig. Do we know if 2 people have the same exact set ups? If they do, have they both experienced the same stuttering. The game seems to run for a majority of player across all platforms relatively acceptable, or no one would play at all. I am just trying to insure on this thread new forum people don’t get false ideas that the game is the only reason. All info is good info, whether it is useful or not.

1 Like

I agree that there are a lot of variables. I can only speak from my own experience and the experience of everyone I game with who owns this game and what we’ve done to try to eliminate this issue which started for all of us when Funcom updated the game two weeks prior to full release. We didn’t have the stuttering before that update. Our rigs and internet connections didn’t change. The only thing that did change was the game and the only thing that’s had an impact on the stuttering one way or another has been patches that Funcom released. That’s not a predetermined decision, that’s just a fact.

Yet I digress. I’ve seen many such discussions on these forums and they all turn out to be circular discussions between people who have the stuttering and those who don’t. I’m not going to be drawn into another one. Do as you will with the information that I’ve shared.

1 Like

i feel you on this one and sadly there is no fix. everytime the devs fix something they break another. eventually they will fix the game completly

1 Like

That’s why I’m still looking for a solution. And I hope that I didn’t find it yet months ago : Denuvo. It is known to cause performance issues and stuttering for many people in other games too. If the stuttering comes from Denuvo then it’s not the game’s fault, nor the user’s / hardware’s / software’s fault, it’s a third party element over which we have no control. Unless Funcom decides to remove it for a week so we can try it that fixes the issue.

Otherwise they don’t really care about the issue since it’s not affecting everyone and it can be caused by such an array of things combined together they’ll probably never find what it is.

2 Likes

Denuvo huh? You know I seem to recall other anti-piracy solutions causing disk access issues when finding removable storage present. Do you happen to have any USB drives connected or anything in your DVD drive?

1 Like

Nope, I don’t even have a DVD drive.

I also thought it was a disk access problem, that’s why I upgraded to an NVMe M.2 SSD, but it didn’t change a thing.

Everything SHOULD work fine but it doesn’t. In Asgarath it’s almost unplayable, even if I lower the graphics. A GTX 1080 shouldn’t have any problem so I don’t think it’s that.

It could also be the AI, or the animations, or the Physics, since the stuttering increases when there are lots of NPCs nearby, but I found a line in the ini to disable AI spawning and even without NPCs the game stutters.

1 Like

The last setting i found helping a little, was sound settings, still testing diffrent settings but here whats helped me :
…\common\Conan Exiles\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini

[Audio]
MaxChannels=16 (32)
Then in windows i changed audio quality to cd in sound settings properties and i got rid of half of the stuttering, testing more…

2 Likes

“It is a capital mistake to speculate without all the evidence. It biases the judgement.” -Sherlock Holmes in Study in Scarlet, A. C. Doyle 1887.

1 Like

I actually got mine from TRU TV. Jon Benet Ramsey cold case mini series. A new detective came in that works on cold cases, and basically said looking thru reports, one of the big mistakes early on is detectives were theorizing what happened, then went the wrong path to collect evidence to prove that theory instead of tracking the evidence where it lead. Really a great way to look at a lot of problem solving. Theories are great, but can hinder if it entices one to go the wrong direction and ignore other facts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.