And it's STILL stuttering

I just spent 750 euros to upgrade my PC thinking the CPU was bottlenecking. I installed the game on a brand new SSD plugged in M.2 NVMe, started a new game, single player, no mods, nothing, and it was completely useless.

GTX 1080, i7 9700K cooled down by a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, 16GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM 2400Mhz, Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus, SSD Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe, new install of Win 10 Pro 64 bits.

It’s the best PC I can afford and the game still runs terrible except in the south desert. Passed Sepermeru it’s a framedrop fest with huge spikes on the unit graph every 5 meters. Uncapped with no Vsync it runs at 120+ FPS and feels like 30. Capped at 60FPS the frames constantly drop to 40-58.

I’m really sick of it. I tried every fix possible and they didn’t work.

1 Like

Yes, same here, my stuttering started after 500 patch, since then i have tryed everything in forums and reddit…
some areas are really bad, no problem loading bases or fps problem just area loading …
But i don’t give up yet XD

1 Like

Your hardware can’t be the issue. My 3-year old GTX 1070, i7 6700, w/ 16 GB, and a Samsung NVMe runs it fine online or offline under Win 10 Pro x64. It sounds more like there’s another background process running that’s causing hitching.

Do you by any chance happen to have Malwarebytes, MS Outlook, an online backup app, a VPN app (or similar apps) open in the background or running in the system tray (i.e. down by the clock)? I’d suggest opening Task Manager, switching to the Startup tab and disabling as many unnecessary options as possible.

You can also try inspecting what services are starting with your PC (press Start, type MSConfig, hit enter), but that can be trickier.

If you have multiple monitors, I’d even leave Task Manager running on the second monitor and try different sorting methods such as CPU, disk, GPU, etc. to see if anything else keeps hopping to the top of the list where ConanSandbox.exe should be hovering. That might help hint at what’s causing these interrupts.

2 Likes

I don’t have anything except for Kaspersky antivirus, and I tried deactivating it to no avail. It’s a fresh Windows install so there can’t be anything unnecessary ( except all the crap installed by Windows, but I removed/deactivated most of it like Cortana etc. )

I already changed/upgraded my PC 3 times since early access ( I use my PC for 3D work too and it’s running more than 16 hours per day, that’s why I change parts often ) and it ran bad every time. I tried two GPUs ( gtx 970 and 1080 ), three CPUs ( i7 3770, 7700 and 9700K ), at least 5 or 6 different hard drives and SSDs, three OS ( win 7, 10 home and 10 pro ).

It cannot be related to the hardware nor the OS, the only common thing is the game itself. Maybe there is just a stupid setting in one ini causing the problem, but I can’t find it. I already tried the garbagecollection fix and some others, didn’t work. Graphics settings don’t change a thing, even capping the game at 30fps does nothing.

Outside of the hiccups the game runs fine. My guess was that Denuvo was causing this stuttering but that’s not something I can fix on my end.

I noticed that the hiccups occur generally when the game loads assets ( there is asset popping up in the distance ), not sure if it’s related but it shouldn’t happen with a good PC. A disk access problem with an NVMe SSD seems unlikely, texture loading with 8GB of VRAM shouldn’t be an issue either.

Maybe if someone with no stuttering could send me all their INI files I could compare and try new things.

1 Like

My guess:

You set anti-aliasing to 16x.

The human eye can’t even see anti-aliasing under 8x. You just acquired 20 extra FPS to your total.
Secondly, you don’t need shadows when you have shaders.

And most importantly… No matter how fast your machine is, when you load in a city worth of assets from a server, you will experience stutter.

The only game technology that has ever achieved LESSENED stuttering is Star Citizens “object container streaming”, which is an asynchronous process actually using all the cores of a processor…

In other words: No stuttering in online multiplayer with dynamically loading objects is 2021 technology.

Games load things one after another, not everything at the same time. It just seems like it’s loading everything because it does it very fast.

However sometimes certain things don’t get loaded as fast as other things, and some things wait on whatever is loading, which is what causes the stutter.

It’s your latency that is causing the issues.

Try playing Singleplayer.

Sure thing. Note I scrubbed some personal info from these (console history, server history, passwords, etc.) but the relevant settings should still be there. I omitted any ini files that were empty on my system.

BTW, I don’t recommend overwriting your input.ini with mine as I mouse left-handed and use an Ergodox keyboard (i.e. my keybinds would probably land you in the loony bin). Anyway, hope this helps!

Had another thought: have you checked to make certain all of your drivers are up-to-date, including chipset, USB root hubs, onboard peripherals, etc? Might also be worthwhile resetting the system bios to defaults if you tweaked or OC’d anything.

Lastly, I’ve seen high-performance engineering workstations at the office under-perform when some of the Intel SpeedStep features are left on, and others get flakey when PCI Express Link State Power Management is turned on. Those might also be worth toggling.

Please go away, you didn’t read a thing ( I DO play singleplayer and the stuttering happens no matter the settings, even without anti aliasing and shadows ) and just assumed things to defend the game like a good fanboy. You know nothing about how games work, latency and lag is not related to stuttering/hiccups.

Other online games work fine, they don’t need “2021 technology”. I played WoW, Overwatch, Guild Wars 1 and 2, TESO and lots of other online games, they run fine.

1 Like

Thanks Larathiel I’ll check that.

Yes my drivers are up-to-date, I installed a new mobo and flashed the bios, I didn’t OC’d yet.

I’ll check if that Intel Speedstep and link state power management has anything to do with the problem.

I’ve been playing on a high end computer since day one with this issue and have read forum posts that indicate this happens on low to high end units, Intel and AMD, and on single and multi play. Because some people have this issue and some don’t, people will try to tell you it’s your computer, but ignore them, it’s pretty obvious that it’s something to do with the game itself and it’s the only game myself and my group have problems with…most notably the stuttering.

If you’d have read more about it, you could have saved some money, but at least you have a pretty jammin’ computer now.

You are right. I only skimemd what you wrote. My bad. But you are repeating my mistakes.

WoW, Overwatch, Guild Wars 1 and 2, TESO and lots of other online games don’t feature tile based player built structures. It seems I am not the only one who doesn’t know how games run.

It seems you don’t have any experience with online survival games, otherwise you’d have specifically listed those games, unless you knew they also stutter, i.e. ARK, DnL, Rust.

But then, upon reading your thread through in detail, I noticed you’re really just trying to figure out the problem, not flame the game.

So fine, i’ll “go away”. Doesn’t mean I can’t be salty about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I played Ark and it doesn’t stutter. It has performance issues, that’s for sure, barely runs at 60 FPS, but there are no hiccups every 5 meters like Conan.

Subnautica also stutterd a lot with my old PC, but now it doesn’t anymore so changing the hardware kinda fixed the issue.

Conan still stutters and I really want to find why. Without this issue it would run like a charm. If it was related to tile building, the game would only stutter when buildings are nearby, but it does it all the time even in the middle of nowhere.

Alright I changed a few settings in the inis but it didn’t fix anything. Could you send me the “default” inis from Conansandbox>Config ? Like the DefaultEngine.

I checked the PCI power Management and it’s off, and deactivated Intel link management.

I tried to monitor the performances on my other screen but didn’t see anything special. The spikes on the stat graph from the game don’t correspond to the ones from the hard drive or network.

1 Like

Not sure that those will help you as yours shouldn’t have been modified unless you did so knowingly like I did with the DefaultInput. But just in case, I uploaded them to the same spot as before, just in a sub-folder called Default.

Since disabling Speed Step and PCI-E power management didn’t help, you might try launching GeForce Experience and instruct it to try and optimize the performance of Conan Exiles. Grasping at straws perhaps, but you never know…

1 Like

Its not the hardware or anything else:

I own a gaming pc and the Nvdidia Shield, a streaming box with very good internet connection. All games are streaming fine without stutter or anything, only Conan Exiles is stuttering. Its grafical lag or similar!

1 Like

I experienced the same issue with LOTRO, it is just bad coding on their part and they are still running a 32bit engine.

I have read other people with the same issue you are having say it may be a monitor issue. Also, you can try these suggestions:

Enable Vsync in NVIDIA Control Panel

To make sure your PC changes the frames as graphics card sends out new output, you need to enable Vsync. It limit’s your GPU to output frames as high as the refresh rate of your monitor. This makes sure that it reduces screen tearing but can introduce input lag.

Launch NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings > Vertical sync > On.

Use Maximum Performance

To make sure Games get maximum GPU cycles, its best to change the power management mode to prefer maximum performance. Open Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Select a program to customize > Power management mode > Prefer maximum performance.

Use NVIDIA GPU instead of CPU

If your settings have somehow changed to use NVIDIA CPU instead of NVIDIA GPU, change it. In the control panel, configure surround PhysX.

Change Other Windows Settings

• Disable gaming option in Windows 10 which is available in the settings. Go to Settings > Gaming > Gaming mode, Xbox, turn off the options.
  • Reinstall the games sometimes solve the problem. While updates do help, but if something is misconfigured, this is your best chance.
  • Check your game settings. Most of the games offer the option to raise FPS which works best for that version of PC.
  • You can turn off Full Screen Optimization. To do this, find the exe file of the game, and then Properties > Compatibility > Disable Fullscreen optimization.
  • Disable Diagtrack service .
  • Disable antivirus while gaming.
  • [Run SFC on your computer. It may fix some corrupted systems files on the PC.
  • Reduce the PC resolution by going to Settings > System > Display > Scale and layout > Resolution.
  • Disable Intel Turbo Boost by changing Power Plans.
    • Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options > Change advanced power settings
    • Select Processor power management and expand it.
    • Expand Maximum processor state and modify both On battery and Plugged into 99%.
    • Then simply click Apply and OK.

Keeping in mind the Intel Turbo Boost option, whenever you are gaming, always choose to use the battery plan which offers maximum performance, especially when you have a gaming laptop.

4 Likes

Thanks KingUthred, there are some things in there I didn’t try yet.

1 Like

I tried to tell 'em it’s more likely the game and not people’s rigs. It happens on such a wide array of different hardware, OS’s,…etc. A lot of folks have already tried all this to no effect, myself included. The only thing I know of that’s made any difference one way or another has been patches. I.E. One made it worse, one made it a little better.

1 Like

So I’ve been playing around with online servers lately. I have two rented, one with GPortal and the other with GoGaming…

I have been setting the two up identically, which takes a bit a faffing as both have very different user portals.

I’m starting to lean towards the stutter issue being on the server side… I’ve played on official with hardly a stutter to be noticed… Vanilla rented Gportal server is as good, the GoGaming wasn’t until I paid the extra 5 bucks to get Realtime CPU Priority…

Things get really interesting when you start to add mods…

I’ve also be visiting a lot of private servers and copying their mod lists, load orders, etc In some cases my servers performed better sometimes not. Mind you, my servers have a population of one so…

One interesting thing I have noticed. The GoGaming portal has visual bars representing population, CPU load and memory usage.

With a bad mod install order, I can create memory leaks. With some mods installed, the CPU load spikes even with a zero pop and clean map… 15% spike in some cases… this is also evident with a vanilla setup but not as bad.

I’m not about to come to any conclusions as I’m no expert, mainly just learning about server admin and mods n stuff… but personally I find this almost as engaging as the game itself! :grin:

1 Like

We’re talking about stuttering ( hiccups ) in singleplayer here, not server lag. And mods are not a problem, it stutters with a fresh install, on a new system, and no mods too.

But I wonder if singleplayer could be affected by a bad network too.

I tried everything KingUthred said and nothing worked unfortunately.

1 Like

You replaced the whole HW and tried all KingUhtred’s suggestions - but have you tried with a different monitor? I know it sounds silly but it could be something with your specific monitor model. Check refresh rates and try the borderless window mode instead of fullscreen, perhaps.

Since it’s not a network issue (you play on single player), nor mods (fresh install), and definitely not hardware, it’s worth it taking a step back and try to see the bigger picture / think outside the box. What haven’t you tried yet? :thought_balloon: I’m not sure if it could be faulty cables (specially given that all other games works fine), but maybe it’s worth the shot trying different ones as well? Just throwing ideas out there.

1 Like