Any indication we will have more group endgame content?

The problem is, the "already complaining about endgame repetition’’ bit from your original posting suggests it was rather early in the SWL life-cycle, possibly at a time when only the more ‘hardcore’ grinders were even E1 ready, while player numbers were still considerably padded by launch frenzy.

That would make the number effectively meaningless in terms of assessing how many retained players actually give ‘endgame stuff’ a shot.

It’s probably better to not post any numbers unless you can give enough context for a meaningful interpretation, and that wasn’t it - that was fodder for conspiracy theories.

This is the kindest appraisal of endgame bros I’ve heard in some time. Thank you; living up to that name.

2 Likes

On that note, how good are your player metrics? Idle curiousity - I don’t need (do want, ofc) specifics, but I’m very curious as to how y’all engage and analyze your playerbase and the extent to which it’s utilized.

SWL and TSW are hard games to guage.

There was another side to this. When I first tried to make my own NM raiding group with Sturm, it took me, what, two or three weeks to finally scrounge up enough players who played during a time frame everyone was available, and over those few weeks, several changed their minds and we never set foot in a raid. Players willing and able to NM raid in TSW were just straight up thin on the ground, and trying to find them was a pain in the butt.

Sturm was eventually able to get an actual raiding group together, and at least half of it was players who had never been.

This all circles back to what Tron’s data tells him. There just aren’t that many people at the bleeding edge of end game!

1 Like

btw I think the lack of new endgame content is just a part of far bigger problem of retention and balance between monetization and fun in game. I understand it may be better to prefer acquisition methods than retention ones if you have a big disproportion between casual story players and endgamers, but in some point you will end in situation when these decisions will backfire and you will loose far more players than you will get.

I would love if they would rethink some design decisions which lead to far bigger fragmentation of players than game can afford (hello 10 tiers), massive disadvantage of solo players in endgame (hello containers nerf), some boss fight mechanics to make stuff more variable and ideally some love to scenarios and pvp.

Well it’s just that they need to make “easy” content compared to the other MMO’s that have larger, younger and more competitive communities.

If they spend 5 months for content that only 18-22 years old tryhards with korean training can complete, it would be quite pointless. I’m pretty sure that if they ever release difficult content, it will be at the reach of the community. And probably more than 20 players.

1 Like

tbh, I’m almost happier with the rewards post-nerf… I made a lot of MoF farming and selling keys, but the shards I’m getting instead now are proving useful in getting that bleepity-bleep museum filled.

TSW’s NM raids were never going to be massively successful. They came at a time when a huge chunk of the end game population had already left, built on a system that many players despised and required a massive farm of just two dungeons just to stand a fighting chance.

3 Likes

When did “tryhard” change from a description of edgy 12 year olds to a description of people willing to try things they weren’t guaranteed to succeed at?

2 Likes

They also required the purchase of I12, which didn’t sell well. SWL will very likely have a bigger pool of players at the very end of the end game because of that, but I’m not going to be terribly surprised if it’s not much bigger.

I’m glad I’m not the only one disconcerted to see my vernacular being appropriated by whippersnappers.

3 Likes

The description isn’t about an age, or being “edgy” whatever that means but a behaviour, in this case, it means someone who puts a lot of effort (usually late teenagers who have more free time to invest in a videogame). And in this game it’s extremely rare, rarer than in other games because our age average is higher and the game isn’t regarded as a competitive platform.

I’m assuming you mean the Aegis system. Now that’s an attitude I could never understand. I’m a stubborn and determined rather than highly skilled player, but I liked Aegis; it added a new tactical dimension to the fights, was interesting in its own right and fun in practice. OK, not everybody likes innovation, and I can see that not everyone would go for it - but that doesn’t explain the extreme reaction of so many players against it. Perhaps it was something to do with how it was introduced, or that it was associated with Tokyo?

1 Like

I liked it to. It added a lot to the mechanics of fights in that even in a lot of the aegis dungeons everyone played a key role. Was likely mostly to do with how it was introduced and the switching mechanic made combat less fluid similarily to how elemental overheating mechanic in SWL makes elemental an unpopular choice. Another slight drawback was that it was aegis content specific and unlike something like augments it really provided no benefit to other aspects of the game.

1 Like

What a bizarre thing to insult people over.

2 Likes

How was it insulting? It was actually an exemple of exceedingly proficient people with a lot of time (so quite positive), the kind that doesn’t even exist in SWL.

It was a bit like saying “If someone wants to spend time building a pole vault apparatus in a retirement home, they should design it low enough so the residents can use it (as opposed to young and athletic people) and it’s probably a bad idea in the first place”.

That’s funny, I always thought tryhards were the people who put a lot of effort into something outside what’s merited. Like someone who does a super fancy poster for their 8th grade science project even though they’ll get the same A grade as someone who just did what’s on the grading rubric.

In SWL terms it’d be all the people using KSRs they bought for 700k I guess.

3 Likes

“Tryhard” is an insult for someone who tries hard to present an image they can’t back up; see edgy 12 year old, compare poser. I’ll assume that you didn’t mean it that way and/or weren’t aware of that meaning! After looking it up, I also found there’s a newer meaning which is an insult for videogame players that more or less maps to obnoxious elitist. That doesn’t match the way you were using it either.

I’ll assume there’s a newer, not insulting meaning for it though, and shake my cane at everyone to get off my lawn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…I was that kid.

But only for science!

Thanks for that. I was trying to find a way to articulate this myself.

Cheers!