Apparently random BSOD while playing

Heyhey everyone.

First up: The Workaround by playing in Windowed worked surprisingly well as of now. I was able to play a few hours straight oppose to the 30 to 120 Minutes it took in average before.

I had no BSOD as of yet. Thanks a lot for that Info @kefka !

@Vattende
Memcheck came back fine. Used the onboard memcheck from Win7. Temp is not an issue at least from what i could see from the onboard tools.

Out of curiosity: When heating is the issue, wouldn’t the BSOD occur when calling different functions? Might be coincidence, but i had 2 or 3 consecutive checks of the Dumps and it was always the same Module that is affected.

@Shadoza
Going to look into that. Although my guess is still something on the software side (not necessarily the game).

@kefka
Regarding the used Libraries - haven’t found a way yet to look what DLLs are called. Windows has some kind of optional ProcessMonitor, will see if i can get some info from that.

A big thanks to everyone trying to resolve this issue :slight_smile: Appreciate it

1 Like

Just bumping to keep this thread alive.

Workaround;

• Switch display mode from “Fullscreen” to “Windowed” prevents BSOD.

Confirmed by @fairiestoy

That may be your solution.
All configurations are different, and a direct-x version can interfere depending, that’s a fact. At least you found a solution, maybe not the optimum for your use, but still better than looking at a blue screen.

I use all options, but the most time i’m also in windowed mod, simply it give me more and easier access when i do multiple stuff, like mostly.

Tab out was an issue for some users in the past, this may also be related. Some fixes was rolled out, and again, myself i can tab-out without issue, but still i know some users experimenting troubles doing so.
Windowed version, full-screen or not, is mostly more perf friendly in most games. Again, there are exceptions.

Hey there,

It’s not a solution it’s a workaround :slight_smile:

I just hope @Ignasi gets this info and shared it with the QA team.

In @fairiestoy case and myself we were able to narrow it down to some environment similarities.

• Window 7 64bits
  • AMD CPU
  • Radeon GPU
  • Fullscreen Mode.
  • Extended playing.

We also accidentally discovered that playing in “Windowed Mode” was preventing the crashes we were having.

If you don’t share those similarities then the general issues and solutions that you provided (hardware failures, heat, drivers versions, etc) might not be relevant to this particular case. Even if they are, generally speaking, the right thing to say.

But eh, we’re all here to help each others right :wink:

That being said, this might not be a pattern of reproducibility. It can be just a coincidence. But if not, if it’s a pattern. Then it’s the very first step of being able to solve it.

Thank you all.

2 Likes

I have the same config, except the windows version.

Yes, there was anyway some problems going on with some AMD configs in the past. For most this had been resolved over the time.
I experimented only some issues in this order during a short periode, still in EA if i remember right.
But other exceptional configurations may still run in some issues.

I prefer mostly a windowed mod, but that’s simply due the my activity, and wish to switch easily from one application to an other, and do lot stuff on my pc.
Like said, most configuration may run most games in a more stable way. :sweat_smile:

I know, lot speculations, and maybe, but all machine are different, so are the users behind.

The last bluescreen i can remember was in 2011 with Windows 7 and maybe thats allready the solution for you. Just update your PC to some actual operating system.

Sorry but an 8 Year old operating system (which has drivers too) is by far not up to date anymore.

Greetings
SirBowen

1 Like

Hey Sir,

That’s a bit rude isn’t?

Windows 7 still hasn’t reach the end of support AND still respect the minimum requirements for this game.

Did you just comment this thread to say that we should update and that we don’t deserve a working game because we use Win7 ?

Not sure it’s helping.

Regards,

It definetly wasnt in a harsh/rude meaning or trolling wise.

I rarely can talk about “Up to Date” with something that comes up in 2009 and get updated in 2012 with a newer version. And even this newer version is allready outdated twice.

Sorry but we have 2019.
So we talk about an ancient 10 year old piece of software with some little updates here and there (mostly because of security issues) and still using Service Pack 1 i guess.
Thats a DECADE and half the age of some of the playerbase here :wink:
I really hope you understand what 10 Years mean in the fast running digital age we are all into.

So as i say, i never had a bluescreen since than (win8 (which i hated) / 8.1 / 10), i dont even know if a bluescreen is still a thing nowadays. Thats also the truth and no trolling or harsh meaning.

And yes i loved my old Win7 too, but am I really wondering why such an old program doesn’t run without problems today? The AMD Radeon HD 7770 is also mentioned as minimum requirement for Conan Exiles, but no one comes in mind using this graphics card with the AMD Catalyst 12.8 WHQL drivers who comes with it back in 2012, so why you are doing this with your operating system ?

So without any trolling and as allready mentioned above.
If you run into any problems with your PC, than as allways:
Bring your drivers “UP to Date” (and that doesnt mean only the drivers for the sound and graphics card. The operating system has drivers too.)

Greetings
SirBowen

1 Like

Hey Sir,

Thank you for sharing your POV on operating systems.

However with respect, this thread might not be the right place to do it.

It’s about helping Conan Exiles players within the game minimum requirements to enjoy their purchase.

And maybe helping Funcom to fix a bug affecting an unknown amount of users.

I’m sure you can understand that.

Regards,

I totally agree.

So my helping hand here for Conan Exiles players who run into problems.
1st) Bring your drivers “UP to Date”
2nd) disable all mods (transitionally)
3rd) repair the gamefiles via steam.

greetings

3 Likes

But as someone who is professionally engaged in troubleshooting, I can only recommend that we do the troubleshooting objectively and without personal inclinations.

So lets narrow it down a little bit more:

• Extended playing. Without knowing any detailed studies, I assume that this point applies to a good 80-90% of all Conan Exiles users and can therefore probably be excluded. Otherwise we would have way more users here who reporting this issue. Extended playing

• Fullscreen Mode. Also without knowing any detailed studies, I assume that this point applies to a good 75% of all Conan Exiles users and can therefore probably be excluded too. Otherwise we would have way more users here who reporting this issue. Fullscreen Mode

• Windows 7 64bit. Referring to the latest Steam Hardware Survey (May 2019),
    24.43% of all steam users are using Windows 7 64bit. So therefore i probably would excluded this as a reason too. Because otherwise a quarter of the Conan users with the same problem would be here in this thread too. (If we take over these percentages from steam users to conan user 1:1 (mathematical probability))

• AMD CPUs. Referring to the latest Steam Hardware Survey (May 2019),
    18.2% of all steam users are using AMD CPUs. This statement is probably too general, because otherwise a fifth of the Conan users with the problem would be here in this thread too. (If we take over these percentages from steam users to conan user 1:1 (mathematical probability))
    So we have to look more closer i guess.
    Related to fairiestory and Vahlok’s specs (kefka doesnt tell us his specs)
    7.31% of all AMD CPU user using an AMD FX 8core above 4.00GHZ.
    7% are still quite a lot related to the few who have such a problem here. But I don’t want to take this off the table as a possible cause.

• But when it comes to percentages and possible causes, i would poke my finger first into this as a reason. Because:
    AMD GPUs Referring to the latest DirectX 11 Systems Steam Hardware Survey (May 2019),
    0.18% using a AMD Radeon R9 200 Series like fairiestory does.
    1.16% using a AMD Radeon RX 580 Series like Vahlok does.
    Mhhh :thinking: these percentages already rather reflect the reporting rate in this thread.

Long story short.
This is how I would proceed in my job and start with the AMD GPUs as the biggest possible cause related to the amount of reports from different users.

Which means:

• Checking,- drivers and do a clean installation; fixed location of the hardware; visually inspect hardware for damage; inflated capacitors; corroded conductor tracks (especially at the slot/socket); hardware and fan cleaning; cold solder joints; dust misalignments; operating temperatures; etc. etc. (p.s. for slightly tarnished or corroded conductive tracks, an simple eraser helps. For cold solder joints, a short heating in the oven, which causes the tin to run again. But be careful with this.) And last but not least replace the hardware with some other as a test. (If not available, ask the neighbor because ISA,EISA,AGP,PCI isnt anymore, which means he/she definitely has a useful card to make some tests.)

I hope this little workaround helps to figure out where the problem is.
I would start with GPU than CPU than OS.

Greetings
SirBowen

4 Likes

Heidiho guys,

first up, detailed work there @SirBowen.

I can understand both your points. I am aware that my OS is slightly before its End of Support (a quick Google revealed January 2020). I suppose i am sticking to it, since you cannot Game adequate on a Linux Machine (yet) and I am personally biased against Windows ^^

I will go through your hardware Checks coming weekend. If after that i am able to play in Fullscreen Mode: Great!

If anybody else finds another solution, so i can play in Fullscreen: Great!

If not: I have no >Win7 Version handy nor anybody with a spare Drive >Win7 preinstalled, therefore its Dead End for me, until i am forced to upgrade. Therefore i will stick with playing in windowed Mode for the time being. (for now :grimacing: )

Personally, i share @kefka 's thought regarding the Minimum OS supported. But that doesn’t help me when Dev’s decide, it’s not worth the effort supporting the lowest Minimum to the last Bit. I am at the whim of these mighty Ones ^^

As stated above, i appreciate the help :+1: Up till now, helpful Community here :slight_smile:

Have a nice Week

2 Likes

First, let me apologize for not reading the entire thread, but you are talking about Windowed Fullscreen, right?

After many years of playing various games on W7-10, this is still the only mode I use. As long as your desktop resolution = game resolution, alt-tabbing is instantaneous. Also, I see no visible difference between Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen.

Regards

jim

2 Likes

Heyho Jim1,

i am talking about the actual windowed Mode.

Y’know, that thing with the Window Management Controls in it :smile:

Since i didn’t see any difference to fullscreen, as you said, i switched to Windowed. Wanted to play a while without BSOD so didn’t want to take a Risk ^^

Have a nice day mates

1 Like

Hey mate,

I’ve tried “Windowed Fullscreen” for a couple hours and didn’t get any crash.

Still to quick to call it successful, but it seems promising.

Later,

1 Like

Hey there @kefka

as of now, your solution seems to work. No more crashes occured up to now.

I am optimistic at the Moment, that this will resolve our present situation. Still trying a few things (could not find any hardware errors as mentioned by SirBowen, but haven’t tried everything yet) but only if i find the time.

In the End, i want to play the Game in my Free time :wink:

Thanks again for the effort in this issue.

2 Likes

I’m glad I was able to help you with this one.

I hope that @Ignasi or @hugo will forward it to the QA and DEV teams.

Or at least add it to the AMD thread.

It’s a bit disappointing that we had to figure it out by ourselves tho, it feels like we weren’t the right target customers.

Have a good time.

2 Likes

As of now, this Problem is solved with limitations. Ignasis has confirmed to move this to QA i am therefore resolving this issue for now.

No Point in pushing it again and again.

@kefka If it occurs again, we can open up a new Thread with reference to this one. :+1::smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.