Archery update is horrible!

yes, and no
speck into a glass cannon is fine,
speck into a glass cannon that can’t aim properly becomes a liability.

to be clear, I’m not talking about target lock, take that out for all I care.
neither am I talking about the inaccuracy while moving.

I mean the fact that the arrow auto releases instead of when I want it to fly, and that I can no longer aim without wasting an arrow.

So going melee is the cheap solution?
Do melee fighters really feel good knowing their way of fighting is the cheap one? Maybe even the too easy one?

Agree 100% with this, no one like this timed auto shot they added with the new bow. We desperately need the Right Click to aim, and left click to release the arrow for heavy attacks.

Why would you say melee is a cheap solution? Its about choices and playstyle, if you want your character to be stronger on melee, you make a build focused on melee the most, and vice versa for ranged. And btw, having 40th on str and 50 on acc, you have good dmg on melee and ranged together, of course you’re weaker on stamina or whatever stat you sacrifice.

I wanna see PVP of Melee vs Bow i bet its a right f ing performance for the archer. Prob leaves with his ■■■■ hole twice the size of when he started…

In this new combat, you’re right.

But with the Aim-zoom, controlled release and long shots that could be done in the old system?
it was pretty much just the melee falling down, or running to or from their death if they saw the archer at all.

That is why I am asking if melee is going to be the cheap way to play this game.
Because I dont see any sacrifice for melees, instead they seem to have more damage without any weakness.
And dont bring that melee being vulnerable because of being in melee range reason. There have been multiple people saying they cant even connect the hits because of their target walking backwards - while healing up.

Also until now I always only went and talked about 50 accuracy. Even then archers were having way lower HP, stamina and encumbrance than any melee. With 50 accuracy and 40 strenght, this becomes even more visible.
Of course those stats can be reached by going for flawless armor. But of all spawned armorers, only 5 had any accuracy armors. (Jehungir (black galleon), two relic hunters, two exiles)

Compared to this, melees got a wonderful life, being able to eighter go with full Legion armor or any else armor. Even mixed up armor is just fine.
Maybe that 50 strenght perk should become something melees really want? Because I can understand +50% damage if below 25% health isnt attractive, as one more hit will most of the time kill the melee.
If that is supposed to be attractive, simply add some 3-5 second damage immunity on top of that. This would also lead to archers becoming even more vulnerable, setting up a situation, where its okay to buff bows a bit. (+20/30%)
I would like to see a situation where melees actually want to go for 50 strenght, just as much as archers want that headshot-perk.

Though there is one unknown part in it. What is 40th accu perk meant to do? (Putting aside some people said that perk wouldnt be working.) Is it 10% becoming 15% or 60%?
→ Also, what sufficient reason is there to stack accuracy for melees?
There is one for archers to go for strenght, as all those 4 perks are freaking awesome. But for melees? To invest whole 40 points into accuracy for one sole perk? I think those points are better off spent in vitality for eighter doubled healing (or simply increased healing, as it was said in the last stream its too powerful) or something else, going for a mixed build.

If everyone is okay with a certain type of weapon to only be strong with huge statinvestment, why should that not apply to each/every weapon?

Oh and as I watched the latest stream it was stated that they will bring back the way bows worked before. (Meaning that aiming+releasing by the player himself.) It will be after launch though.
So the fun part of archery will come back.

I really wonder why ranged fighting has been introduced even though Conan Exiles was supposed to be a melee game.

1 Like

Happy Dance :metal::sunny: :sunglasses::joy:

3 Likes

:aurum: They also affirmed the bow’s original intent was that of a sidearm. We’ve come well past that capability, IMO.

Just like with Encumbrance, if there were a more meaningful near-buff at 30 points, you could actually get by as a hybrid archer type. (pun that one, Mister)

I have built an all dmg build with stats on str and 50% head dmg and all that. I can then shoot, with Bessy’s bow and set arrows, someone in the face repeatedly that is naked, standing still, and drinking ambrosia and never be able to kill them. No other weapon is this weak. Usually when players complain about Combat it is not PvE like that video.

For PvP bows are completely useless. Nobody will carry around the heavy load of arrows and an extra bow when they do absolutely nothing in PvP. Hopefully the new healing balances will fix this problem.

If they are bringing back the old archery then I am looking forward to it. Currently, the arrows are slow on moving targets, making them useless in PVP. The new requirement to make arrows, feathers, are hard to find unless you travel to BFE nowhere and climb around on cliffs. Birds are scarce now too. Making it this inefficient and this difficult to maintain makes the whole skill worthless.

That’s why shields were invented lol. which means people can swarm archers with shields forcing them to retreat or die. i remember me and a friend having a fight and he had shield and i would hide behind him with my bow pop out and shoot enemy then go back into cover. it was most fun we had in the game and made the fight very fun. can’t do that no more…

Everyone seems to not get just what a good archer could do, people look at that pve video and think he’s good,
I look at it and wonder why is he so close?

I’m not kidding when I say I have from a very long distance killed players that didn’t even know where I was.

did it work every time? no
have I lost to melee? yes

But I have done it and more than a few times.

Oh, and they were level 60, in full heavy, it’s how I used to outfit my thralls on old us2

Perhaps it’s a cultural thing. Or it’s a video game thing. Maybe it’s a gaming culture thing. People seem to have a strange view on archery. Was it Braveheart, or Henry V via Agincourt that semi-consigned the fletch to weapon of mass destruction? Is it first-person shooters that have made ranged combat for some reason “all up in one’s grille?”

When I met you, it was only because of arrow trails and video capture. Otherwise you could easily have spied me running along the cliff face to the Spillway, waiting until my climb before peppering me from across Priestking’s Retreat. High ground, cover, escape, obstacle and flank. Good thing you were friendly. :smiley:

I wasn’t at priest king. I was more to the south on the flats :slight_smile: I was actually in the process of flanking you when, I realized who you were. there were enough hostiles on that server, I needed all the friendlies I could get.
that’s why I popped up when you turned around :slight_smile: We had spoken earlier, about that glitch I found.

What I’m meaning is the trajectory of your long shot told me all I had to do was continue on my way east and be in your killbox. So I dropped back and peeled around terrain, letting the rhino do the work. These days, I’m not as worried about bows.

Yep, no reason to worry about bows right now, can’t even get half the range with the current set up.
about the only thing a bow is good for now is pve

How can I dislike a post??? :smiley:
No seriously this guy is a whole new case by himself, very skilled, while the majority of the players are not. But watch how long this video… You can achieve the exact same outcome in like 3 minutes at max (maybe 1 and a half) with a 2 handed sword.
(even if he would climb to a high vantage point as archers should, it would take him kinda the same time…)

OR try this and than tell me archery is in the place it should be:

You remember our old friend the bone dragon? yep you can shoot it from safety and even if you use the highest damage your bow can do it took like 600+ arrows (starmetal bow + snake arrows and a bunch of time, not to mention the break because of the bow repair)

WHILE You can go in play darksouls with an OP pike and kill it like IDK maximum 40 thrust.

You see the pattern? 600 arrows vs 40 scratches… Bow damage MUST be buffed a lot also the ability to let us control when that arrow fly or not…

And there is the fact that in PvP, the opposing player is not a computer AI and can heal as he closes the distance quickly.

1 Like

Also he can climb the same vantage point usually… :smiley:

I do think they made one good step for “optimize it”:
When you move you lost all your accuracy.
For start this is good. but with higher skill this should be able to negate.
For example they could exchange milestones around and eventually have something like “uber stable hands” as the 4th or 5th reachable perk in exchange of trickshot.

So if somebody pumping his accuracy up to lvl 4-5 -ish perk, therefore waisting a lot of other options, I guess that somebody can earn to move while aim at the same time with a high enough precision.

Someone ordered healing fix and set arrows?
(I think in that devstream on april 20th it was stated that any healing is meant to cease when taking any kind of damage… Joel mentioned something about daggers and bleeding on some devstream prior to that (6th/13th). So healing is meant to be cancled on any damage. This would of course include set arrow-poison… :smiling_imp:

I like that!
(Make 40th the 20th one, then put that uber stable hands on that 40th.)

1 Like