Bug Blood Moon Beast

Well it hits for a casual 100k, so there’s plenty more where that came from.

I’ve seen a few reports of this on reddit… so I went and double-checked.

In the devkit that we have the Siptah variants are all completely separate and do NOT have the 100k attack of the Kurak one.

If it is indeed the case that now the Siptah version also does this, then the last update had to have changed it secretly (we don’t get devkit updates for minor patches).

The other possibility is that they accidentally are spawning this new Kurak NPC in place of the Siptah one too, you or someone else playing Siptah could confirm this by simply looking at their names.
The Siptah version is called “Blood-Moon Beast” while only the Kurak version is called “Blood Moon Beast” (no dash, just spaces).
So if the one that killed you on Siptah had no dash in its name, then it was actually the new Kurak one making a guest-appearance…

2 Likes

Ok but lets not make it seem like its meant to do that much damage ok. 8,000hp on a horse with damage mitigiation from the saddle in stats plays a part. The blood moon beast isnt supposed to one shot anything at max level with the proper gearing. Dont be that guy

I think you misunderstand…

The blood moon beast in the Kurak dungeon IS meant to one-shot everything…
It’s a deliberate wipe mechanic for taking too long to complete the dungeon (you have roughly 15 minutes before Kurak completes the ritual to summon him)

So I’m not being “that guy” I specifically checked in the devkit and it has an attack dealing 100k damage, so it’s supposed to one-shot ANY thrall or ANY player at ANY level :stuck_out_tongue:

The whole goal of the new dungeon is to stop him from summoning that thing… so if it gets summoned, it means you failed.

However… like I said above the Siptah version of the blood moon beast is a completely separate entity with its own separate attacks… etc.

So… if for some reason after the last update 3 days ago the Kurak version is appearing on Siptah… or the Siptah version has the attack that only the Kurak dungeon one should have, then that is most likely a bug and that’s what I was trying to explain and figure out whether it’s the whole NPC being spawned there as a mistake or is the Siptah version suddenly using the new attack.

2 Likes

ok yeah because I had been farming the beast for his bow for a long time and he hits for 2-5% hp per attack at best

Yes, that’s why I’m asking if you could tell me what’s the exact name it has as I don’t play on Siptah to test it.

So if you happen to remember, or can go there to maybe check? If it does not have a dash in its name like “Blood-Moon Beast” and only has spaces “Blood Moon Beast”, then it’s the completely wrong NPC spawning there which was meant for the Kurak dungeon.

In which case we could make a bug report, no idea if anyone reported that. So getting a screenshot of its nameplate might work

I went to the BMB again to tickle them with a bugged mace. This is shown in your mod. This is on Siptah.
BloodMBeast07

1 Like

Wait, it’s doing multiple hits? The name looks correct for Siptah btw

1 Like

The blob is doing yhe one shot if not mistaken. Could it be that? Seperate damage ie weapon damage on that bp?

I did a test with the Witch Queen as Thrall, she is a bit more robust, she has over 100000 HP. The damage of the blood attack is always performed 10 times and has a total of over 20000 damage.

Yes, that’s why it’s weird…
It’s a completely separate NPC, completely separate attack, completely separate attack animation etc…

The only way this could’ve happened is if they accidentally added this attack to the Siptah version too during the last update 3 days ago (since we can’t see any changes in the devkit until we get an update for it). But in the devkit we got, the Siptah one doesn’t have the 100k one-shot attack

1 Like

Thank you! Okay, so that actually makes sense then :slight_smile: I can explain it now

10 attacks in the animation of BOTH versions… however the Siptah one is configured to do 218 damage… if it’s suddenly 2667 then that means it’s not the kurak stuff affecting it, but some other form of buff it got with the recent update

1 Like

I was more asking about the blob attack. Is there an underlying BP that processes its damage? if so they might have accidentily linked the damage in that base level. Example as a character indo x damage. Hammer does x damage based on its BP. If the BP in that is calling the wrong dmg, then that would do it. But either way, seems to be a bug in there after last patch.

No there isn’t, it’s a simple NPC attack with a specific animation.

And the Siptah and Kurak versions have separate copies of both the weapon and the animation.

The issue seems to be related to templates and datatables… In the devkit they don’t actually hit for that much, but we had the bug that messes up tables (NPCs not spawning or spawning with 100 health in the devkit etc.)

I’ll make a mod in a bit to give me some data from the live version, see what’s going on as like I said in the devkit everything looks fine, however that’s both from before the update and also has some datatable issues atm.

1 Like

So far I eliminated almost everything :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s not the templates…
It’s not the attacks…
it’s not a different damage set up for the ball…
it’s not a modifier on the ball attack either…
it’s not a damage modifier on the NPC (already ruled that out with the templates, but just in case…)
it’s not the animation… :stuck_out_tongue:
all other of its attacks seem unaffected

See, I made a nice little diagnostic UI that reads these values from the live game (in case they were modified with the update)

1 Like

Found it…

Old version in devkit:

New version in game:

The two NPCs share a gameitem weapon blueprint. They had no reason to duplicate that prior as they don’t hold any important stats and were only used to apply the 10 damage acid buff…

The way they tried to trick players with Steel thewed to still die… is by doing damage via a BUFF instead or regular collision. So they changed the buff on the game item weapon to a different one that does 10k damage… This buff applies on every collision event… (normal damage only applies per group so you’d get a single hit from all that mess from above)…

Bottom line… the Siptah version also got affected because of this and tries to do 10k damage for every collision notify in a group as fast as it can (gets in roughly ~10 instances)

Solution?
If they want to stick with the buff, then they need to create a separate gameitem blueprint for the Kurak version (item template 23410) that applies the new Tidal buff and switch back to the old buff on the gameitem blueprint for template 23403 (siptah version)

@Sarealac this info will probably be useful :stuck_out_tongue:

(this is about the Siptah version so… sort-of ended up in the wrong thread, linked it in the relevant one)

11 Likes

Nice work. So an underlyng share os what it was. I thought as much, as i jave seen them do this alot while fodgeting around with ideas. Good effort @Xevyr. I was going to do it tonight while doimg my map mod and see if i could see anything they shared.

1 Like

Thanks, yea, it was a bit elusive so you probably wouldn’t have found anything in the devkit itself, though I should have suspected a buff sooner :stuck_out_tongue:
Basically the new buff is not present in the devkit and was added in the last update, hence why I had to make a mod and load it in the real game just to read it… and the portion they shared has no damage attached or anything so sharing it was totally fine… that’s why it didn’t really raise a red flag… until they decided to attach a new buff to it that actually does damage :joy:

4 Likes

Good job Xevyr :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So root cause, someone took a shortcut in trying to nerf steel thewed in the dungeon because it was unfair these players had to get hit 4 times vs 1 even though they invested 1/3 of their attributes to this one perk.

Is that what I’m seeing here?

1 Like

Up until this day I personally didn’t even know “Steel Farted” existed, let alone it would be broken in a specific scenario. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

There are a lot of bug reports on new dungeon - waves not spawning, disconnects - but hey, we better fix an issue 90% of playerbase wasn’t even aware of. Was it causing some serious problems - to a point everyone and their grandma re-specing “Steel Farted” to farm Kurak?

P.S. Good job, Xevyr :clap:t3:

1 Like