Bug - Incomplete shelter inside my base / raining inside my base

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvP
Region: US

When I am sheltering inside my base, I find that whatever spot I end up standing in (usually about 50% of the time) does not offer complete shelter. Even in a base with multiple layers of foundations and ceiling tiles (2 or 3 stories tall, standing on the bottom floor), somehow I still can very easily find a spot where my character is affected by the outside environment.

This bug is also noticed with regard to the game’s ambient sounds. When entering a fully enclosed player structure, outside noise (like rain) often becomes muted, and a gentle echo is added (I hear the clicking of my feet on the floor tiles echo). This is actually a pretty amazing audio feature, and does a lot to bolster the game immersion. When you step into a space inside your enclosed base where there is not complete shelter, suddenly the noise from outside becomes louder as if opening a door. There is very definitely a calculation going on here that modifies sound based on my percent shelter. And walking in and out of these incomplete shelter spots makes me feel like my children are going back and forth from inside and outside of the base, and cannot manage to keep the door shut. This, of course, is immersion-breaking.

To add insult to injury, when it rains outside of my base, my floors inside my base are all damp, and droplets drip everywhere, giving the floors and surfaces a wet sheen.

The worst part about this is that if I have to step away from the keys for a minute, I have to double check and make sure that I am in a full shelter spot instead of an incomplete shelter spot. If I leave the game unattended for a little while in an incomplete shelter spot, my character consumes food and water. And if I don’t return promptly, I will come back to find myself dead – either starved to death, or dead of dehydration.

Please see the attached image. In this example, I am on the bottom floor. Directly above my head in this screenshot:

Black ice ceiling tile
Sandstone foundation
2nd floor (open space, 3 blocks high)
Black ice ceiling tile
Aquilonian foundation
Jungle air / atmosphere / rain

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Build a totally, 100% enclosed structure. Optional: build a second and third floor to the structure, or a second and third roof.
  2. Walk around inside of the 100% enclosed structure until you see a point where you lose the peak on your full shelter icon.
  3. Get partial exposure to the elements, get hungry/thirsty and potentially die if you idle there for very long.
7 Likes