(BUG) Unable to see contents of loot chest on first opening

Game mode: [Online private & Official]
Type of issue: [Bug]
Server type: [PvE]
Region: [US]

I was hesitant to even post this, as I think it may be mod-related. I’ve not seen any other posts about it, so I figured…why not?

Since the last big update, every time I open a loot chest (e.g., those random chests you see in enemy NPC camps), it appears to be completely empty. Not even an empty grid is displayed–the “chest contents” screen is just blank. If I close the chest & reopen it, then the contents are revealed. This does not affect any storage chests I or my clanmates have in our bases, only loot chests.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Open a loot chest in a hostile NPC camp
  2. See that there is literally nothing within, not even an empty grid
  3. Close the chest
  4. Reopen the chest and suddenly be able to see what’s actually inside.

[EDIT: Changed title to include “BUG” and game mode to include Official servers.]

2 Likes

I got the same thing, but its also on a private server with a ton of mods…

1 Like

I usually had to open twice to be able to scroll the contents but now gotta open twice just to see what’s inside. I haven’t any mods at all and on official. Has been this way since the last one or two updates.

1 Like

I had it happen on Official#1735 today.
If you change the chest’s sort method from ‘all’ to one of the subcategories, then switch back to weapon subcategory, it will display the grid and item.

1 Like

Yup, I’ve seen it too. Single player, no mods. The contents are there, but the chest appears empty. If I hit “take all”, the stuff appears in my inventory.

1 Like

Hey @TimeLord75

We’ve heard a similar report not too long ago. It might have to do with asset streaming bottlenecks on a server. We’ve sent note to our team so they can give this issue a look.
Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m like that. If it’s not Ichor, gold/silver bars/coins, steel reinforcements or Eldarium then I’ll usually leave it. When I need the other stuff I prefer to go get it in bulk all at once because I loathe running around like a headless chook putting the small quantities away in their respective chests. There are a lot of people that clean out everything though I’ve noticed. Real pack-rats. :smile:

:laughing:

It’s a “folk remedy” for an old bug that got fixed eventually. There was a time when looting a chest would leave it “stuck” and it wouldn’t respawn its contents. Most people believed that you could avoid that by looting all that’s in the chest (and then dropping what you didn’t want).

It used to drive me crazy back then, because it didn’t actually work for that specific bug, so I would keep running into completely empty chest. Took me a while to figure out how to actually solve it. I only put two and two together when I realized that a chest that I looted would respawn its contents when I came across it later. It turned out to be some bug that made the chest “imprint” on the first person to open it, i.e. regard it as its owner. So the “correct” workaround was to destroy the chest after looting it, so that the game would have to respawn the whole chest, not just its contents.

Anyway, sorry for the noise. You guys took me down the memory lane :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As I recall, there was another weird one a while back where a chest wouldn’t re-spawn if you left it open. The lid wouldn’t close until you interacted with it a second time. So if you had OCD, you were safe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, for me it’s mostly a habit I picked up from playing MMOs. You find a chest out in the field, it’s considered good manners to empty the thing so it disappears and respawns quicker. Otherwise it takes a while for the partially full chest to vanish and start the respawn timer. So after you leave there’s a chance someone else will happen by, get excited about finding a treasure chest, and then discover there’s nothing but a chunk of copper ore or whatever in it.

Also I just find it easier to loot everything and then dump what I really don’t want on the ground before leaving the NPC camp. As far as sorting stuff back at base is concerned, one trick I use is to designate a large storage container of some kind as my drop off container. Weapons, armor and decor I don’t want go in the dismantling bench, stackable stuff goes in that container. Then whenever there’s a sufficiently large stack of something, just grab it and drop it into the proper storage area. That way I’m not running back and forth between boxes and stations sorting loot for twenty minutes every single time I get back to base.

3 Likes

I forgot about that one! The funniest thing was that it wouldn’t close the lid if you used the Escape key to close it, but it would close the lid if you used the E key (or whatever your interaction key is).

Yes, that’s a great idea. I always do that when I’m moving bases, I just hadn’t had room for a big-@ss vault unless it’s sitting outside messing with the aesthetics/defence lines. :grimacing: I might try to incorporate one into my next base build.

Well strictly speaking, it doesn’t have to be a vault. A large crate, cupboard or chest will do the job. They’ve each got 50 - 45 item slots. :wink:

Oh yeah, those were some annoying bugs to squash :sweat_smile:

Ah, the memories

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.