Building Question

This is very simple but I never actually noticed it before. Say you put down a wall on a foundation piece, and next to that foundation piece is another foundation. Now you have one wall sitting “between” two foundations. Make a third foundation and place it on top of one of the two and you have a wall that is up against your last foundation piece.

Buuuuut…you can’t put a wall against a foundation piece, it will never work. You put up the wall first then the foundation. Why does this work one way? Why not both?

I’m a big fan of making basements, I wish I had known that before. Now I can give future basement sexy walls instead of always just foundation “walls”.

2 Likes

I wish that this was doable also, I think it was at one time.

One trick, though, is that you can still add a fence foundation over a foundation that has already been placed so long as there is either ground or another fence foundation below it. It’s not as ideal as being able to add a wall, but at least it can save on expensive basement renovations if you’ve already built the upper floors. :slight_smile:

Another trick I’ll sometimes use (if I don’t want upper floors to collapse while I remove and re-add foundations) is to either tack on temporary ceiling tiles along a wall to transfer stability laterally, or set down some pillars to do the same.

Suuure would be nice if we could just add the walls directly though… :drooling_face:

1 Like

Well it works if you add the wall first, THEN the foundation behind or in front of wall. But you can’t do it the other way around.

Thing is now am wondering if that is even legit? If I build my whole basement this way and then they patch it, I may be in for bad surprise. What do you think?

Well, if they did change it, the only things that should collapse are those pieces that have been offset in height from the level of those foundations (i.e. if you used fence foundations or door frames to lower/raise the height of ceilings independent of the foundations they cover).

In that case, nearly everything I build would be a giant pile of rubble, but it would be such a drastic change to the building system that I can’t see them doing it at this stage. After all, those pieces aren’t criss-crossing each other or occupying the same space, they’re using legit snap points.

I’d say it would be more likely to see the fact that we can’t add walls over a foundation fixed as they’ve fixed other instances of not being able to add walls alongside other pieces (i.e. stairs, etc).

But if you add a foundation behind a wall, and both that foundation and wall are on top of another foundation, aren’t they using the same space?

@Multigun is more of an expert on this than I am, but I believe walls and fence foundations occupy a space/ snap-point capable of sitting between two foundations.

I say this because many of the square foundations have visible gaps when placed side-by-side, and if a wall is placed on the edge where two adjacent foundations meet, the wall will still remain if either one of those two foundations is destroyed.

A good way of observing this is to place a foundation, then put a wall on it and observe how it overhangs the face of the foundation slightly. (This is also why folks were disappointed that the Arena set didn’t include fence foundations.)

BTW, if you’re not familiar with what I meant about offsetting heights, I go over the technique in this how-to video:

It may help to illustrate why I’m suggesting that foundations and walls don’t occupy the same space.

2 Likes

Oh wow, ok…thank you for that, it is making me see that the building system is a bit more complex than I thought. I always wondered what that lowering/rising function was supposed to do. My new basement is already starting to look so much cooler :smiley:

1 Like

Walls on Foundations was a thing back during EA, and was removed when they did a collision update to the Foundations. There is an array in the blueprint that would allow them to restore this option do so, but there is probably some exploit or imbalance that comes with that territory.

Building a wall, followed by a foundation, as you discover works. This is hardly the only instance of where “order of operations matter”, and Conan is hardly the only sandbox game with building elements to have this be the case. Has to do with the various building check boxes that determines whether a building (or even placeable) can be placed, and would take me too long to explain every single instance.

2 Likes

Indeed. One of the things that used to annoy me was trying to place a furnace in a single-storey building. If you build the house and place the ceiling first, no problem. But if you place the furnace first and try to build a ceiling over it, won’t work. At least nowadays you can pick up the furnace, build the ceiling, and place the furnace back.

Trying to build stairways from top to bottom and using ceilings as platforms used to be problematic, too. But I believe that was fixed. Maybe one day we can place a wall on the side of a foundation piece, too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.