Can we expect any update regarding farming?

I don’t often write suggestions / questions here, but I’ve been thinking about two things for a long time now, but I see that not much attention is paid to it and I haven’t found many topics that discuss the things I’m going to write. I’d like to point out that I’m looking at these things as a PvE player, so it may not be very interesting to players who are focused on PvP

That particular thing is FARMING. Making compost, growing Aloe and Lotus is quite an interesting thing, especially if it is connected with a nice construction in the “green house” style. Thanks to the product you grow, you can make a lot of things, but at the same time quite a bit. I think that this game would deserve more options if it is about these specific things. I can imagine that the players would not only grow “flowers” but also things that they can use for cooking. Maybe potatoes, carrots and so on (everyone probably understands). The second thing related to farming is raising animals. I understand that it would probably be very easy for skin and meat farming but in the end why not? It would certainly be at least minimally interesting. I understand that maybe this thing does not fit into the game itself, but in the end it is survival. You have to mine stone, iron, hunt animals, build a good base and face many bosses and “hostile” inhabitants of The Exiled Lands - so why not have the opportunity to build your own garden?

So my question is… Are there plans to address this topic in the future or is it something that players and Funcom don’t really care about? I think it would be a good and interesting thing

Thanks

11 Likes

Why raise livestock when Lord Yog provides with an endless supply of good meat AND skins for leather?

Let Yog into your heart friend, endless possibilities await!

2 Likes

Dennis said he was on board…

6 Likes

Agree! There are two possibilities in respect to this; growing crops and raising livestock. For crops some nice ideas would be fruit trees, wheat, potatos and yams, some patches of placeable fertile soil, double or even triple slot planters. Then there are the livestock/animal possibilities. Why not have some animals in pens produce resources passive. For example have shoebills produce eggs, goats produce milk, and so forth.

11 Likes

This reminds me, crop rows that are flush with the ground that do not have planters (some stone borders would be kewl tho).

2 Likes

I was quite afraid to write it here because, given that no one had addressed this topic, I expected an attack from the players. But I am glad that there is someone who agrees with me and also sees something interesting in it. I meant exactly what you wrote. It would be awesome, although I don’t think the developers would want to do something like that, which is a shame. I haven’t really found many mods that would allow something like this. I personally would welcome it in this game. Maybe one day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Emberlight has a lot of farming and livestock and its quite a popular mod, so I’m not so sure its as far afield from what could be done as you assume. The as yet to be defined “settlement system” could include these very things if its ever done.

I looked at that mod, but I had the feeling that it was more focused on the decorations themselves. I’m wrong? I’m not sure if it’s possible to breed the animals or if the cultivation of plants is processed somehow. But I guess I’ll try

It has a pretty large farming and animal component, kinda depends on what you mean by animal breeding tho. It also adds food options and stuff but its definitely worth a look to see if its kinda what you’re looking for. Nothing’s perfect afterall.

2 Likes

I never understood why farming is so overlooked in this game. I get it’s not the main focus of the game, but its another activity that bring more depth and choice to the game. I know that at the moment one can go with a black blood sickle and get plenty of materials easily. But why not allow people to have a choice, some may rather build a nice farm with some plots like Ark does and passively obtain their mats. Adding more complexity to the game where it makes sense, won’t hurt anyone.

5 Likes

I don’t think its off the table. The history of how we got to this point is fairly relevant. The game took off more than was anticipated I hear, and its been getting investment ever since. Its a work in progress and while farming doesnt scream CONAN it certainly fits in the world.

4 Likes

I would be happy with Dirt Lines, that are place able. And have 5 slots.

Or maybe Something half Pen Size, With Frame work you can place that has 8-10 slots for planets.

I think anything past that would be to much work.

3 Likes

I thinknit is something the devs wont do.

They nerfed fishing traps because it was 2 things,
A passive farming system for oil that pulled from the go out and adventure game loop.
The ease of creatung 100 foshtraps per clan caused issues with performance (crafting timer etc).

Farming would fall too close to that, thus not be a priority for developement.

But who knows, maybe the Age of Farming Battle Pass is on the road map if they can fotnit into the lore and justify developement time.

1 Like

Never afraid to say anything. You might take zero replies, or 200 negative, so? This is what you want isn’t it? I love the peaceful days in Conan, sometimes when I log in alone I may spend hours of fixing ingredients and cooking different recipes. In my solo pve days, every day my fishing traps were giving me a routine. I was always organizing my home just to do a routine that it was useless anyway, but still it was relaxing me, so why not, my gaming, my fun, I don’t believe I have to apologize for that!
Yes, I would love to have what my precious @Croms_Faithful said about animals, I would love to have some vegetables and trees, not only decorative trees but fruit trees too. Plus I would love to have a reward for well fed on my pets and thralls. Solo gaming needs more reasons and the player base that plays this game solo is huge, even online. Even me I played solo more than 80% of my gaming hours in this game . I believe that if the player base support the Conan store our wishes stand a chance. However we need to understand that it is pointless to ask things against pvp, this mode is the popular mode of the game, I am not speaking for officials but for privates. So whatever new comes should not affect this mode. Yet in RP pvp servers this idea with the possibility of a trade system between players, the whole player base would find new interests. Once @erjoh suggested to have servers that will react in all modes, so no pvp if you don’t wish yet pve in a pvp server. Actions like these, farming, animal breeding (stronger horses etc…) and a trade system would create a different reality in this game. Better or worst, I can’t tell, yet I like it as a dream :wink:.

3 Likes

Personally, I think that the reason for redesigning the fish trap system is not what you wrote, because currently the production of oil is 10x easier than using fish. On our PvE server, most players build bases from things offered by DLC. Which means you use Shaped Wood, Hardened Brick and Steel Reinforcements. Insulated wood remains pretty much unused, so you have no reason to produce it, and therefore you don’t even use Resin. So you have no problem using the large amount of Resin that you collect during regular tree felling (if you use a pickaxe) to produce oil (Resin + Ichor) - it’s much easier. Collecting Ichor is also not a difficult matter, it just depends on how you do it. For example, I don’t go to mine Brimstone on the lake near Sepermeru, because it’s more profitable for me to mine it in the cave at the bottom of the map + I get Ichor from the spiders that are there.

But as I wrote above, I look at it through the eyes of a PvE player. I would choose a different variant and play style when playing PvP

the bark (not resin) plus ichor was added because they reduced fish for oil. Before that people had fish farms of 50 traps or even smarter 10+ traps in a large well and had chests full of oil in a few days. Now it is a balance of using bark for tanning or oil.

And they said in a live stream the impact on performance from all those traps was one of the reasons for the nerf of passive fishing.

1 Like

You’re right, I was wrong - it uses Bark instead of Resin. But the same as what I wrote applies. Yeah, maybe you’re right about the lag stuff, but I definitely don’t think it was changed because it was too simple. And if they really did it because of that, I’d say it’s even easier now, so they didn’t prevent it much :smiley:

I wouldn’t mind a gardening patch for some delicious root vegetables: beet, turnip, carrot, etc. As Sera67 suggested, this could be something you place on the ground with slots for growing vegetables.

Use Compost as fuel, as in crafting stations. Maybe a Farmer thrall for increased speed. Then you could have, say, five slots in which vegetables could grow simultaneously (like pets in an animal pen). The growth would be slow, but the end result should be an edible item that doesn’t rot quickly.

And you think growing vegetables doesn’t fit into games of brutal violence? Largo Potter disagrees:

3 Likes

it was simple xompared to now. You have to at least hunt a t3 alchemist to use bark and ichor. Before once you had 50 traps, you just pressed oil non stop. Log off amd back on traps were all full again. That was the ease of it. But it was mainly the lag i believe. Fish traps were cheap to make, and one could spam them all along the river.

Some private servers even banned fishtraps sometimes to reduce the lag since 15 clans built fishhouses with 30-100 traps. So yes, it was because of the lag and perfomance issues.

1 Like