Ceiling pillar trick

Hello everyone :smiling_face:

At both Ark Survival Evolved (And ASA) and our game I noticed the construction of a building by using the building parts “ceiling” and “pillar” as a foundation instead of the actual foundation piece.

If I could build a normal big castle with the ceiling pillar trick, will my castle will have normal good stability on each of it’s placed pieces?

2 Likes

yes. But Dude, it takes you 30 seconds to try that out ingame, why ask?

4 Likes

There is no reason to build that way instead of using foundation blocks, unless you just like the aesthetic of it.

If anyone tells you that there is a reason to build that way, they are wrong.

2 Likes

Because I have tried it in Ark games and all good. It’s just in Conan Exiles I haven’t because I am stressed with fear that it might or might not work for me only.

Totally right, the only reason was with the old purge, but with that gone there is no reason to use that anymore

You already spent more time in the forum than it would take to try it out :smiley:
But to stress you out a bit more:
It does work in general, but you never know if it works for you :slight_smile:

Thank you you were so helpful :rofl::rofl::rofl:. I will “kill you” @lanier67, he will take it seriously.
No Nick, you will have no issues at all to build with ceilings and pillars, it’s just more expensive and greater delay as you already know. My friend Nick just wanted more opinions than mine, he love his builds and he wants to to secure moves, nothing wrong with it i guess.
In Greece we say…
Κάλιο γαιδουροδενε παρα γαιδουρογυρευε.
Don’t try to translate it you can’t, but it means it’s best to be scholastic, than careless.

Ps, let’s call 2 champions in here to share their experiences in this matter.
@3LiON and @Jelostas can you please help my friend here :pray:t6:.

1 Like

Using ceilings instead of foundations allows for more versatility in building designs actually. For example, I hate the nemedian foundations, but I want a wall instead. I do it the way OP mentioned. Also, when leveling land, using ceilings instead of foundations is more cost efficient with materials. Sounds to me like you haven’t figured out the benefits yet.

1 Like

I made that exception already:

Only if you do not have full stability, which is exactly what OP is not talking about, otherwise, it is more expensive.

True, but this isn’t necessary if you plan out your builds. I do them all on single player first so I know exactly what should work. Sometimes I have to modify my build based upon alignment errors, but it’s mostly the same. Also, doing this regularly has allowed me to troubleshoot when I free build since I know what to expect.

Greek is not a supported language on iPhone translate. Oof.

2 Likes

The English version of the phrase is better safe than sorry.

4 Likes

Better tide up your donkey multiple times than go around looking for him :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Thanks a million, you are a true diamond my friend, always!

1 Like

On 8080 one and a half year ago. This build was mostly pillars and ceilings

1 Like

@Marylambs and I RARELY use foundations. You’ve seen how massive and detailed we build. We got in the practice of doing this after playing for a brief moment on a private server that prohibited more than 20 foundations on any given build, but had no restrictions on size of bases. We took the challenge and opted to not use any foundations at all. Now we only use them when they’re either esthetically better looking (I.e., stone brick foundations look better than ceilings) or they’re needed due to certain terrain conditions. We found not using them opened up way more design options than using them.

1 Like

I think this method of building was a thing back in the old purge days. There was a couple of videos floating around that said the purge targeted foundations so if you wanted a base safe from being purged you built on pillars and ceiling’s. pretty sure even Wak had a vid about it. it always worked for me.
EDIT did not read the whole thread. I see this has already been discussed. Apologies.

3 Likes

The best way to learn/test building mechanics in Conan is just like it is in ARK - open up your game in single-player, enable creative mode, and play around with different building techniques. Yes, you can definitely build using pillars & ceilings, but it’s less necessary here than in ARK because the bulding mechanics operate differently. The only way for you to feel the differences is to practice building in Conan for a short time until you get used to it.

3 Likes

Just make sure your settings are vanilla. If you have anything out of the norm, it may not translate appropriately to an official server if that’s your intent. I’m speaking mainly to land claim radius and building mechanics. Anything else shouldn’t affect it.

Because i read this more than ones…
He already play this way. He first fix his projects on single player and then replicate them on official servers.
He just lost a lot in the nemedian bug, that’s all.

He may have said that elsewhere, but If he said that it was not in this thread.

What he said was, “in Conan Exiles I haven’t because I am stressed with fear that it might or might not work for me only”

What that tells me is that he has not tried using creative mode to experiment with building to see what works and what doesn’t. The best way to stop being stressed with fear is to use creative mode and do some building experiments.