Competitive pvp in Conan can it exist

Really, if they made crafting of everything about .25 of thebtime, thatbwould allow for faster build up to pvp. Most vmcraft7ng is handled during non raid while logged off. This would allow clans to quickly craft gear, building mats etc in a time fram to actually pvp while online. Just pvp servers, but really the craft times are more of an inconvenience on all styles. And again, most people mass craft right before they log off, so really doesnt shorten the actual play time.

Look all steps u need make epic gear without thrall itā€™s a lot higher.

1 Like

Well yeah. But I donā€™t want nothing but PVPā€¦ Iā€™d play Street Fighter again if I wanted that. Iā€™m asking for a shift in balance, not a complete rework of the game.

Iā€™ve been playing this game almost exclusively on official servers, almost always as a solo, since 2018. It was always tough, but thatā€™s the way I liked it. I also never shied away from fighting other players. I chose PVP as my mode because I like to test myself against everything a game can offer, and this game was (still is) freaking amazing. It wasnā€™t just fighting, it was everything. A huge open battleground with asymmetrical fights on varied terrain instead of a closed ring with balanced combatants. I loved it, and I loved being the underdog. Against experienced well-armed clan warriors I would always die or end up running. Against new players, even those with endgame gear and a thrall, I could on occasion kill them with cleverness and experience while armed with hardened steel or ancient weapons. I felt that was what I naturally expected and how it should be.

At some point, this stopped working. It didnā€™t make sense. How could years of experience be making me worse at fighting? Looking back it it was around the time that Siptah was released. In fact the first time I felt something was off was the first week I had Siptah and two newer players whose base I was investigating killed me very quickly. I hit one of them five or six times and he didnā€™t die. He hit me twice and I did. I didnā€™t think much more about it, but it only got worse.

Now, I canā€™t beat anyone in the wild unless I have the same gear as them. And that gear takes a long time to get, and is only available by farming difficult PVE content and/or complex crafting. I can no longer compete with just an ancient weapon (except the pike lol), a will and a prayer. But I used to be able to.

This change has had two effects. Firstly the game no longer caters to the playstyle of people like me, which sucks because one of the strengths of this game is that itā€™s such a jack of all trades. Secondly, it has made people in official PVP servers much less casual about fighting one another. Why would you, when every fight is 30 seconds of excitement followed by one of you losing hours or days of PVE gear, which you then need to go out and get again before you can compete again. No wonder people quit official PVP when they lose.

Sorry this is so long. As Styker has said, the more powerful and varied gear given as rewards for PVE since Siptah has neutered PVP fighting. Itā€™s to the point where skill, experience and luck are negligible factors. As @erjoh has said, this may be FCā€™s vision. If so that makes me sad. Iā€™m a long time loyal and passionate player of this game and the wild west of the CE official PVP servers was a gaming rush unlike any Iā€™ve experienced.

Removing the incentive for people to actually fight one another though is probably an unintended side effect. I doubt they planned that. Itā€™s too punishing. When gear is everything, and gear takes so much time and effort to get, no one would put themselves in a situation where they risk it all. This is the root of the rise of offline raiding too I think. Makes sense to me anyway.

Right, so that was an epic tome. TLDR making mid-tier gear competitive again with the highest stuff the game has to offer (or some other balancing method like a pain wheel) will be more fun for me, and stop PVP players from hiding in their houses, offline raiding, and quitting when they lose.Or at least will help.

2 Likes

No reason to be sadā€¦imho, I donā€™t even think FC thinks its pvpā€¦itā€™s just three letters that sort of fit and attracts attentionā€¦ie marketing because pve-ultra is too confusing. No I think the original idea that is floating around here is that it was never to be considered pvp but marketing insisted on that name. Itā€™s just CE, full risk, vs CE moderate risk vs CE light risk. Most of us veterans best times in pvp comes from a time when there was less cut throat win at all costs. We saw these tides coming inā€¦and ignored it vs fighting for the soul of the PvP game. Because of this, we have an uphill fight to regain it.

Iā€™m with youā€¦CE is what matters more that pvp. Perhaps more folks will come on board and play a more complex game

Iā€™m with you

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point, there was a lot less scorched earth style playing back then. Usually clan warriors would leave me my pathetic gear in disgust if they killed me, and if I killed a clan warrior Iā€™d maybe take their weapon if I wanted it or some useful piece of gear. Instantly despawning someoneā€™s kit wasā€¦ kind of a dick move. Now itā€™s a pleasant surprise if someone doesnā€™t do it.

The amount of people who want to be able to click people to death, while at the same time not willing to work or PVP for it is ridiculous.

So what if your enemies are better geared then you? PVP them. That doesnā€™t just mean running in and clicking them to death. It means using other tools to subvert them. Use your charisma and leadership ability (if any) to get some mates together and blitz them down. A few guys with Ancient Pikes can take down the best geared guy in all of CE in a few seconds.

Guess what? You now have a set of great gear.

You can also humble yourself and try to find other means of dealing with the situation. Offer services to other people to grant you gear or help fight on your behalf. Sure youā€™ll have to do some things maybe beneath your pride to obtain them. But thatā€™s also PVP.

If your ethics allow for it (and if youā€™re a real PVPer and not just a silly dueler, they should), you can even use your enemyā€™s clanmates against them. Use intrigue and other means to get them to start fighting one another. Hell you can even join the clan under false pretenses and steal their things (to my knowledge this is totally legit on officials).

You all have options. Stop asking for changes to cover your own shortcomings. If you have PVP solutions, use them. And there is quite a few solutions available. Silly duelers wouldnā€™t know how to do this though. They should just submit to the ones sending them to the desert and just accept what is given to them.

1 Like

OK so it looks like this is the hill Iā€™m dying on. All the old forum people have some weird obsession - Taemienā€™s lust for the death of official servers for example. I guess mine is that I want a chance (however slim) to win a head on fight without min-maxing. I donā€™t want the bloody gear! I want a chance to win with nothing but a loincloth and a broadsword like Conan would have! Sheesh.

You could (and have chosen to) say that Iā€™m asking for changes to cover my shortcomings. Iā€™d say Iā€™m asking for my preferred play-style to be accommodated again after it has slowly been rendered impossible. More options are better than fewer.

1 Like

There is mods available for that sort of playstyle.

Yeah whatā€™s that Ark: Medieval, Ark: Primitive? Thereā€™s a version of Ark where the tech tree stops before guns. I would play the heck out of a version of CE with no epic gear.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. Itā€™s not the same as my experiences. I wear what I want and use the weapons I like or even just whatever I happen to have. Although I usually travel with some nice loot for the spoilsā€¦ For the past month or so thatā€™s all of the feroxic set except the daggers and pike, 2 to 3 healing water skins and maybe some nice torch like Final Breath. It makes others feel good to get something nice when I lose my aā€¦ I mean, when they win. :slight_smile: And I guess itā€™s about 50% of the time that after a 1v1 1v2 or 2v3, a chat opens up - ā€œDo you need any of this stuff back?ā€

Just today as a matter of factā€¦ I woke up in the desert with nothing, checked the map and all was gone. I saw only 8 of our 50 or 60 named thralls when i opened the map and knew immediately. I didnā€™t type anything in chat or call my clanmatesā€¦ I made a quick waterskin and ran to where our base /was/ - just east of the mounds. There he was, a single guy, his buds returned home, nothing but a now bare treb platform and the remains of our base. I asked him if he wanted to dual for the remainder (bold of me given I had nothing but a stone axe). He took about a solid 2 minutes (thinking - hand on mouse) and asked me if I just wanted everything back? I said; ā€œNah, you should keep some at leastā€¦ā€ in our secret Asian language - LOL.

He threw down a loot bag with 40 chests 12 Improved Ice Boxes and said ā€œplace those hereā€. I did and he gave back about 70% of everything and then even made a separate trip (while I waited and sorted some stuff) back to his base to get me about the same number of mats as the base took to originally build - shaped wood 20k, Steel reinforcement 18k, Hardened brick 41k). At the end 38 of the 40 chests and all the ice boxes he threw down were stuffed full of our old base and some mats from his own. He kept 42 named combat thralls we had in a box and probably about 30 or 40 full sets of some of the better armor - leaving me only 8 or 9 sets. The thralls that werenā€™t eliminated were just our horses and my white Frost Wolfs which I like to collect. I guess they couldnā€™t bring themselves to kill such cool doggy-dogs, :wink:

He said it was his bedtime, picked up his treb-base, and logged off.

Those are the experiences I have - about or maybe more than half the time. Heā€™s a member of the largest clan on the server and Iā€™ve seen them with about 15 or 20 people all on-line at once - so I guess theyā€™re full. Ours is currently a 6-man clan. He could have chosen any of several other paths - including sending me back to the desert with my pitiful stone axe and killing the wolf I managed to get following.

Here he is standing on his boxes filled with the remains of our base they just offlined and probably in clan chat laughing their ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off - as I first approached him.

As for weapon balance I donā€™t really have the experiences you describe there either. I fight wearing whatever I like using whichever weapons I think look cool or make the neatest sound effects (as long as itā€™s over 60dmg and 20 pen) - and I win about as often as I lose in most skirmishes 1v1, 1v2, or 2v2. I donā€™t follow the meta builds because I think theyā€™re dumb in CE where the current state of combat is mostly just learning how to overcome itā€™s awkwardness since FC ā€œfixedā€ it. If I win I almost always ask if the guy wants his stuff back or needs anything; and about half the time Iā€™m asked the same if I lose. If I donā€™t get my gear back from them I usually have a stash somewhere and if thatā€™s gone it only takes about an hour or 2 to replace everything I was wearing and carrying - minus maybe Final Breath - add 2 more hours for that as my luck usually goes. The private servers Iā€™m on are a little worse but not too much worse.

Mostly with privates itā€™s been my experience that you need to name-drop a bit - otherwise youā€™re treated as an underclass - whereas itā€™s an even playing field on Officials.

Cultural variations are always interesting I think. People complain about Chinese hackers and stuff but when east asian players come to Oceania servers I always find them more pro-social than my fellow Aussies. Australians have a real mean, might makes right streak in our culture. Couple that with the win-at-all-costs attitude of many gamers and Iā€™ve found Oceania PVP to be an intense but sometimes unpleasant experience.

1 Like

Hehe, yupā€¦ Thatā€™s totally me on one serverā€¦ I basically contracted to be their dirt slave. :slight_smile: Turned out to be some pretty cool people - commercial artists and architects from Malaysia. Their interest is to a level that it seems I might even land a few small RL CG gigs. :wink: Canā€™t beat that with a stick!

1 Like

I would still say it depends. But it is so rare, that 98% of the time the player with better gear wins.

1 Like

I would like to see some rescticted time pvp servers.

For example the server is open 4 hours every evening from 20h00 to 00h00. Then each player can have the same play time.

The session is one week, start level 60, you died it is the end, 40 players at start, the last one standing win (or the one with more points, quests to do ā€¦).

This will be fun :slight_smile:

Basically battle royale. Without a sandstorm closing in the playing field :smiley:

1 Like

Once againā€¦
What you seek can be found only in private servers.
Pvp servers private has taken this game to a whole different level. Still you have to accept 2 very important things.

1. Toxicity in privates is not tolerable.
  2. Rules exist for followed, no trolls allowed on rules.

Admins can become Gods but only if they are forced to do it.

Admins are looking for good players but good characters as well.

Not all the admins are equally good, but some are marvelous.

Forget the admin abuse complex, play, observe and choose without taboos.

In pvp, privates are the solution.

1 Like

This! Officials are to get players hooked on the game and have CASUAL fun. You want pvp arena championships or build massive testaments of you manhood in buildingsā€¦go to private.

1 Like

And? I mean, I see a lot of suggestions around to make pvp ā€œbetterā€ but no plan to make it meaningful without turning the game into a free for all. CEā€™s flexibility is what makes it the game it is, and if you ignore pve, a large portion of the player base leave and now the game competes with other games for the same pvp player base that arent necessarily drawn to the world of Conan (which is its niche). It would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The game allows for customization to make the pvp you want, you just cant do that on freely provided officials.

3 Likes

i believe he means killed pvp, not the game. Baseon the full post. But i could. wrong.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I understood as well, but if PVE killed PVP, thatā€™s not reconcilable within the game as it is designed, and why it sells. I thinks its an overstatement because even in PVP, the PVE elements are what make the game unique.

1 Like