Construction is absolutely horrible

Those problems you mentioned are about in any building game for what i know .

I find the building system, while buggy at times, to be superior to most building games. I’ve played Ark (shudders).

But there is currently a bug that is just driving me nuts. “Cannot place while overlapping another object”… except it isn’t. It appears that the collision is off on building pieces in general. This has always been an occasional thing but I’ve noticed it degrading over the last week and it came to a head last night.

I would have to re-position myself, crouch, angle and attempt to get the green jammed in. I would attempt re-logging, re-equipping the hammer, removing the piece I’m trying to place on top of, etc.,… everything I could think of didn’t work except for contorting my camera.

And this was just a wall on top of a wall. That’s it. It was happening with other pieces but not as bad as walls…

3 Likes

This one personally finds the building system largely good.
There are a few issues that do cause frustration, especially when the footprint of a placeable is significantly larger than the placeable itself. Furthermore, there are certain pieces that can overlap and some that cannot and this one does not comprehend the reasoning. Perhaps it is a code issue.
Snapping points have had quite a bit of improvement over the years. Inverted sloping walls are now much easier to place. There are still a few build pieces lacking what would seem to be obvious snap points, but those are specifics rather than systemic issues.

That said, this one does feel several pieces are missing from the game.
Interior corner awnings, for example.
Also, spiral staircases. Yes a few of the Bazaar sets have the itteh bitteh corner stairs, and they do serve the purpose, but spiral stairs would look better.

As far as systemic issues…
A single wall piece is too short.
It leads to odd head bumping especially when ascending stairs, comically short doorways, issues when placing higher tier craft benches, and the choice between claustrophobic and cramped rooms, or double wall height with huge overheads.
This one would very much like a half wall and half stair, but realize this quickly mushrooms into many more requests.

4 Likes

Seriously, I’ve given Valheim three chances now, with months between one try and the next.

Every time I’ve tried it, I quit because I just couldn’t build with it. Every. Single. Time. That’s how shіtty their building UX is.

4 Likes

We will have to disagree.

I found 7 Days to be pretty good, but Valhein did not fill me with joy.

Conan building is twitchty, certainly, but my assessment is that it is superior to many sandbox games.

This is not a refutation of your position, just a disagreement.

3 Likes

I have had a similar experience.

2 Likes

If you add up all of Valheims building pieces from start to endgame, and ALL modded content.

You can still have more variety with Sandstone in Conan Exiles lol.

You also have more pixels in one single block of sandstone than all of those textures combined from Valheim :laughing:

2 Likes

What I’ve found to set animal pen or alter set up a stack of foundations next to where you want to place solved the problem every freaking time the height is the difference we. Have all been doing this for years.

3 Likes

It is about not having to spend 5 minutes rotating Wheel of pain / Altar / Animal pens trying to find that that one degree of of 360 that will allow you to place it - despite foundation visually having more then enough square footage to accommodate the structure.

Ok I can give you that.
I have the same problems and often reported how some structures are needlessy big.

Altars, wheel of pain, MAP ROOM … damn, that is ridiculously big.

Not to talk about Stables and Animal Pens which are TOTALLY WRONG in the concept itself (considering that this game is about BUILDING structures, is stupid to force players to have pre-built structures - which often have totally different style compared to the rest of the base).

I agree, some stuff is wrong and takes lot of planning to fit in a spot without making huge cubes which are terrible to look at. And sometimes it is not even possible.

That said, I still think the building system of CE, overall, is one of the best around. Maybe the absolute best atm.

Bit rude

Lol

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.