Corpse Dolls,wood dolls,bomb dolls and other types of dolls

This reminds me of the question why Funcom doesn’t add crossbows.

Since I wrote a complete design for this concept that never even progressed past the planning stage, I can assure you that this would be a crazy amount of work.

Maybe if puppetry was a pretty typical sorcery spell in the lore, it might be reasonable to consider, but it merely being an interesting or fun idea is nowhere near good enough.

Edit: Actually, never progressed past the planning stage isn’t entirely accurate, it was complete enough to work in a pen and paper table-top rpg setting.

1 Like

Sort of. I think that if you strip out some of the stuff people seem to assume this involves, then it’s more of an incremental improvement on what already exists, rather than a whole new feature with a massive amount of work.

Specifically, I’m talking about the assumption that the player somehow controls these like a puppeteer. I can’t see where it’s explicitly requested, either in the original post (as far as I can sift through its incoherence) or in your “translation” :slight_smile:

To me, this whole thing seems like “what if we had something like Witch Doctor feat, but instead it crafts these creepy-looking dolls that behave in interesting new ways: the explosive doll tries to get near the enemy it aggroed and blow itself up, the wood doll tries to protect the player by blocking attacks, and the corpse doll is similar to any follower but it resembles the player who crafted it”.

The whole “doll” thing can be adjusted so that it meshes with the existing lore, and the AI seems interesting. The part where the “corpse doll” (i.e. a cross between a zombie and the Frankenstein’s monster) looks like the owner isn’t trivial, but since it’s a corpse doll, it doesn’t have to look identical to the player, either.

Who knows, maybe I’m just reading the whole thing wrong and trying to simplify it into something more interesting than it is. :man_shrugging:

I think you are simplifying it into something less interesting.

This idea is only interesting if you do it properly, and doing it properly is nothing simple.

I could give some small snippets of the plans I wrote up if anyone would want to see what this idea could be in a fleshed-out form.

1 Like

I guess that depends on personal interests. I realize not everyone will share mine, but I don’t find it appealing to try to control a puppet in a game like Conan Exiles, whereas I would really love some novel AI :smiley:

I’d definitely love to hear it. A creative game design discussion would be a refreshing change of pace from the endless repetition of the same handful of complaints on the forums :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, keep in mind that this was not designed for Conan, so a large portion of it wouldn’t even make sense if I posted it here, so I’ll try to keep it understandable. That said, I should first clarify that this was only one guild players could play as in the game, it was not a game solely about puppetry.

This is the guild summary:

Here is an overview description of the puppets:

(The number of puppets above may be misleading outside the context of the game, although there are thirteen types of puppets, a single person could only control up to four at a time. Other “owned” puppets were kept in storage.)

These are the descriptions for the thirteen types of puppets:

You could note that the Avatar is analogous to BallsofSteel’s Corpse Doll, and the Gargoyle serves a similar purpose to the Wooden Doll.

Puppets could be upgraded to increase their health and capabilities and they could be provided with special puppet armor pieces crafted by the Craftsman puppet.

Additional equipment could be acquired, such as a puppet case that allowed the Puppeteer to swap in a single puppet in the middle on combat, a Puppet Coffin that could resurrect one destroyed puppet, and improved strings that allowed the Puppeteer to expend magic to heal their puppets.

There is a lot of other stuff that wouldn’t make much sense here, like special combat techniques. Though one technique was the ability to make a puppet explode, thus filling in the missing third of BallsofSteel’s proposed dolls.

1 Like

Maybe if we’re nice, we’ll get Funcom swag sock puppets. Dibs on the Andy.

1 Like

I was hoping with corpse doll it would have the same stats as the player whom created it. The enemy falling into your trap. Thinking they are fighting you,but a corpse doll was fighting them instead.

Any of you played an MMO called Mabinogi? They have a marionette puppet skill. Yes they had two types of marionettes. Since Conan Exiles has a bigger staff. They could easily make this idea work.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.