Platform: Steam
Issue Type: Crash
Game Mode: Online Official
Server Type: PvE
Map: Exiled Lands
Server Name: 1511
Mods: nope

Bug Description:

I will be playing normally and seemingly at random the game will crash with this error:

pak error

I run the validation each time this happens, and it completes without finding anything wrong. If it dont run the validation I’ll get the error back soon after. If it do run it, it seems to buy some time. This is regardless of the fact it completes successfully.

Bug Reproduction:

It seems to happen just as I go from one window to another one, say opening a vault.

Greetings Natohk!
Thank you for reaching out to us.

Since you’ve already verified your files, we recommend that you first reinstall your game and then verify it again.

Please let us know if this has solved your issue!

We’ll be waiting for your reply!

I reinstalled last night, verified just now. No errors. We’ll see how it goes!

… and it just happened again.

I know it says no mods in the first post. However,

Did you ever run mods? because mods are stored in a different folder than the game.
Two different folders in fact.

So a full reinstall of the game, wouldn’t help if the problem is a remnant of a once installed mod.

If you ever had a mod installed search for folders named 440900 delete them and everything in them.

Then and this is important, verify the game files after the 440900 folders are gone.

If you NEVER had a mod installed, then I apologize for taking up your time.

1 Like

Never had mods installed, but it’s good information, thank you!

1 Like

Happened twice more, twice more file validate was successful. I could reinstall the game yet again … I dont think it’s the SSD, no other game or app is having any trouble.

… and again, I’m sure the validation i’m running atm will be suceesful. I dont know what more there could be for me to do, reinstall the game every morning?

its not your ssd (but also i have only ssd drives on my system and share same problem than you), this problem is nothing new and have been reported already years ago, this bug appeared something like 3-4 years ago, then had dissapeared some months ago; and reapered recently (some weeks ago). it dont hit all users, but only some, it’s random. re install of the game has never solve the issue, neither the change of hard drive, it s a software linked problem may be due to issues of conan with nvidia update drivers or directx or i don’t know what (but only linked to conan)

the steam verify and validation allow you to finally succeed to launch game, but it"s a 10-20mn process than will let your toon alive in conan while your game crashed, and you will have to do a new steam verify and validation at every game crash (and sadly it can happens very often, some days i have 2-3 crash per day…),

@HighSaint
as memory, nothing new ; Consistent reproduction of "Pak file corrupt errors, NO MODS at all - PC Discussion / PC Bug Reports - Funcom Forums

a simple search on “pak files corrupt” on this forum will lead to dozens and dozens of thread about this subject in the past with no real solution.

and this bug also occurs on the current beta version, where it is even longer to verify files through steam validation than on the live official version.

1 Like

yup that very good information, thank you to have shared your knowledge about that.

I have tested this to some extent on a couple different systems. It appears as though this is a network driver issue, or at least the network driver will make the issue worse.

If you update your network driver through windows, often times you get a generic driver. It is best to find the manufacturer of your network adapter and get the latest update from them if available.

Your network driver is how your system talks to and receives info from other systems online. An outdated driver will cause your system to not communicate properly.

My suggestion would be to look at the manufacturer of your network adapter, go to their website, if available, and get the latest driver for your particular adapter. If nothing is available from your network adapter manufacturer, make sure your generic driver is up to date.

Reboot your PC after installing the new driver, and go play a bit and see if you continue to get the “Pak File Error”.

I hope this helps and solves the issue for you. If not, we tried. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey thx cortex, will have a look to that

Thanks, never would have thought of the network driver, but iirc this started happening after i ran cat 6 thru the house. I’ll switch back to wifi and see how it goes.

From what I have seen, it can start again after a windows update, but the drivers typically update immediately, so I started checking them after every windows update and have not had the issue since… not saying it will work for everyone, but it has solved it for me for quite some time now.

well i have a wifi intel ac 9462, driver wireless for windows 10 was from may 2024, there was a newly one from september 24 that windows have not installed trhough automatic update. so i forced the update, so far no crash, but was not long enough gameplay to be sure, i will post here if it solve.

I was about to think that the problem was solved, but sadly today after 1h of game, pak file corrupt again, well as you said we have tried, but i recommended to everybody that have the problem to try the update of network driver as you recommended it as it seem it can solve in some case, and for the rest, well up to funcom to find what is not going well somewhere for a random bug that is here for so long time.

1 Like

Disregard: Removed by Author

Well, no matter the driver it’s still happening. Tried ethernet and wifi, tried updating drivers …

still no luck fixing it? my friend has same problem !

no, no known solution, seem to happens less since a few days, to check with new update