Did the dlc announcement anger more people then it made happy?

I can understand the op completly. And that his post got flagged shows once again how this fan comm is reacting to critism. The attemp to shut it down instead of dealing with it says everything you need to know about how fan based this forum really got over time. Its no wonder people take their complains out of here to other plattforms. It also explains why Funcom got such a bad reputation over time.

A new dlc is comming. Nothing wrong with that. But people also expect the game to be playable on their plattform. The plattform that they have bought the game for. Funcom has a responsibility to make their game work on all their plattforms since it can be bought on them. They can´t just advertise and sell the hell out of consoles and then leave it running poorly. Stalling tactics don´t work for ever. People expect resolution for problems and full playability, they paid for it. Would I have bought the game on consoles I would feel that Funcom frauded me. So I can understand the console players to 100%.

2 Likes

DLC = bring in monny
Bugfix = cost monny

3 Likes

Since I do not play a console, I do not know the issues on the console. Yes, they should resolve the major issues on the console as a priority. Nor do I know what was fixed this year and what still needs to be fixed either. I know Xbox had some serious issues which they had taken time to resolve which the game was unplayable in the recent past. Otherwise, I am clueless regarding this subject.

Consoles do have a special process for patches which I heard is a bit more time consuming. I wish your bug issues are resolved quickly.

was about time for a dlc! well done! why someone should be angered with? what is the stuff that angers someone about releasing a dlc?

2 Likes

They had alot of other importat stuff to talk about that they did not talk about!

like what? nerfing some weapons?

and how this is even related to releasing a dlc?
i could understand if someone was angry about not fixing these “important” things… but why someone can be angry about releasing new content?

1 Like

Not that they talked about the DLC, angry that they avoided the not so good stuffs. not even 1 sec on ex the new build restrictions and other hot potatos in the forum.

perhaps those were not ready to be spoken of! the count that implemented alone is a clear sign that they r aware of the building problem and at some point we will be announced with further measures (like with the trolls and content blockers)…
But still, why could someone be angry about dlc?
someone should be happy about dlc , and be angry about NOT fixing the problems u talk about (i would like to hear some of the stuff needs fixing in ur opinion ofc), but i still fail to understand why FC should put the art director and art compartment on hold , cause of issues in game that r not related to them! i am more than happy that i see the artistic department of FC developing and offering us new content (especially not p2w , but rather artistic -lets say reskins of existing stuff) for the ones that love to build and also getting an opportunitty to offer some stuff as extra content (like watchers twitch drops - i would also love to have more of those stuff that did not made it to previous dlcs released as such contents rather than rusting in some drawings)… i see dlc or content release as an excellent move.

so once more plz, someone explain me why the release of dlc would make someone angry? cause an artist did a research and offerred us a new thing in game?

2 Likes

You’ve really got to get past this narrative that criticism is somehow banned. It’s perfectly possibly to criticise both Funcom and the game without getting flagged - almost every one of the ‘top ten liked posts’ listed in my account is critical of Funcom and/or what they were doing with the game at that point. Personally, I agree that Hrothgar should not have been flagged - his post is a bit snarky, but to me doesn’t seem unreasonable, just frustrated. But someone feeling that it was too aggressive and choosing to flag it does not mean that criticism is not allowed.

Comparing this forum to this time last year, I can confidently state that it is now more polarised, more vicious, more ‘Funcom ruined the game’ than ever before. It is also noticeable that the community team members have been driven out almost completely (after all, it must get pretty exhausting to constantly act as the buffer between the company and all the hate-filled posts sent their way. Few positive voices even attempt to post at all any more, and I have witnessed multiple good people driven out of the forums for daring to suggest that the sky isn’t actually falling. I do not see evidence that this forum has become ‘fan based’ - in fact the evidence I see tends to be that most ‘fans’ get driven out pretty quickly.

Side Note: @TotenMeister I understand where you’re coming from in wanting better communication from Funcom - I fought for that for a long time (as did many others) and there was improvement for a while. The problem is that if the only announcement the community team can make is ‘it’s being worked on, but there’s no news yet’ - people like you or I might well accept that and be happy with the communication, but there will also be others who will take that as yet another reason to spew bile at the community team member in question. So much as I’d like more communication, I’m coming to understand why it stops…

@Hel As to the rest of your post, there is much that I agree with - people have every right to expect the game to function on their platform, and so frustration is understandable. But all we can do is remind them, as people have throughout this thread and the other similar ones, that dlc and bug-fixes are two separate things worked on by different people. It is not a matter of prioritising one over the other - both run on unrelated tracks. Bug fixes are coming - many of the bugs being complained about are already listed as fixed for 2.6, which is likely to go live when the dlc does (with the added point made in the livestream that they are now aiming to ensure simultaneous release for all platforms - because they listened to the criticism and frustration from console players after Siptah). So let’s see if the situation actually improves before we complain again about what happened last year - which brings us back to the OP and why he was flagged - probably because someone was frustrated by seeing it stated that there are no bug fixes, the dlc will be broken and it will take 6 months to be forgotten about instead of being fixed - understandable claims given the past, but it simply hasn’t happened yet - so maybe let’s see what actually does happen before we condemn Funcom for it.

6 Likes

It wood not be any problem if they did b4 to have regular streams every week but now it was almost half a year sins last one.

Exactly.

I love the DLC. But, then, I play the game to build, so DLC gives me options.

As far as bugs, it’s my thought they can both review and fix bugs and develop new DLC.

An issue with development will always be the unintentional breaks that come with new code and fixes. Conan is not a perfect game, but no update has changed the focus of the game so drastically that it caused me to stop playing. This has happened with numerous other games.

4 Likes

Yes i guess the art desiner and other do ther things and its not bugfixing, its not ther skills so to say but maybe @CodeMage know more about that part?

1 Like

The DLC made me sad…
…Sad that I’m not able to play right now, because it looked awesome.
I plan on getting it as soon as I can play again.

8 Likes

Yup, it angered me.

I have to go buy another DLC.

I hate spending money.

4 Likes

I’m just a little disappointed in the heavy armor appearance - it looks…somewhat off, compared to the other two. And with all that “german orderliness” feel they seem to be aiming at (and the Nemedians being “the second best army in Hyboria”…), would it be too much to ask the apparent “officer” armor to be…well, less “scavenger-like”…?

1 Like

Anyone who insists on this idea that Funcom is “silent” about fixing reported issues needs to go look at bug tracking sites out there. Pick a few, it could be open source or proprietary, it doesn’t matter. Take a look at how a bug is handled throughout its lifetime.

If you do so, you’ll notice that the software maintainers don’t periodically come back to the bug to say “we’re still working on it”. Instead, they post comments when progress is made and they change the status when something happens.

The big difference between that and what we have here is that we don’t have access to a bug tracker. Instead, we have to hang out on the forums.

Would it be better to have a read-only heavily-filtered access to the bug tracker? Sure, it would be much better. I would personally love to see that. But I also happen to know just how much freaking pain it is to set up something like that. “Pain” in terms of effort to prop up the system, yes, but also in terms of making sure the development process inside the company adapts to that, so that the devs are careful about what they post where and what button they click on and whatnot, in order to prevent stuff from “leaking out”.

What Funcom opted to do instead is improve how they handle bug reports on the forums. There’s a “dev reply” tag that indicates that someone from Funcom responded directly to the thread. Then there’s a “report received” tag that indicates that Funcom is aware of the report. There’s the dev tracker, which you can use to search for dev activity on the forums. There’s the search feature, which lets you search the bug reports.

Is that better than access to a bug tracker? Hell no, but that’s the wrong question. The real question is whether it’s good enough. And the answer to that depends on what people you’re trying to please. There will always be those who can’t be pleased.

I know you know this is false. You were active on at least one thread where it was explained, in detail, how flags work: who flags things, what flags do, etc. I won’t go into those details again. Instead, I’ll just state yet again that it’s not Funcom that flags posts, it’s forum users. If anyone is interested in the gory details, they can either google for “discourse flagging” – Discourse is the name of the third-party forum software Funcom uses – or search these forums for the same keywords and find my posts about it.

As for your insistence on spreading this falsehood, I don’t know what your motives are, but when someone knowingly spreads something false, that’s called lying and is generally not appreciated.

EDIT: My reply to Hel was stupidly based on my misinterpretation of “fan comm” as “Funcom”. I apologize for what I wrote.

2 Likes

Its neither the one nor the other. The fact that you don´t understand or have another opionion about the topic and why I feel the flagingsystem is an pure abuse system and that this thread is the best proof of it doesn´t mean my view is wrong. You just like to state it as one, but this is your problem not mine. You will not change my mind about it. And I don´t really care about your disparageing my view of stands since I believe or think what I believe or think. I don´t need your approval or appreciation. I am not here to please you.

1 Like

DLC terms have changed abit of years…
Same as micro transactions.

DLC is usually add on content, Spitah falls in Expansion… Do to larger content.

Point was, new dlc is not changing anything major, and isn’t impacting much.

3 Likes

[s]I don’t care about your views or anyone else’s when those view oppose facts. It is literally how the forum software works. Hell, it’s open source, you can even go check the source code if you don’t believe it. But sure, keep spreading conspiracy theories, see how far that gets you. :man_facepalming:

For the record, if you had said this was an example of users abusing the flagging system, that would have been entirely correct. Instead, you blamed Funcom for it, which is, at this point, a bald-faced lie.

EDIT: This post was really stupid of me. I misunderstood “fan comm” to mean “Funcom” and based my replies on that. I’m not going to delete it because I own my mistakes, but I’m really sorry I did it.

2 Likes

So people abusing a system is open source. Ok. Sure. Why not.