EHP & Damage Received Calculator

Ever wonder how hard an E10 boss hits?

Or how much damage Warding Mk III prevents?

What does “Protection” really mean? :thinking:

This spreadsheet was designed to help players understand what’s actually going on when damage is received. By inputting your character’s stats(or anything you want!), you’ll be able to determine how much damage you’ll receive when any single hit of damage is taken at any tier, and how many hits you’ll be able to receive without healing.

This can be used to better understand the breakpoints you’ll need to reach on any given tier in order to survive the one hit required to sustain tank, consider off-meta builds, or you could even input your stats as DPS and compare the difference! This spreadsheet isn’t intended to teach players how to tank, but should be played with to gain confidence in your gear and understand how your mitigation abilities are working on a much deeper level, yet removed from the stress of combat. :3

HOW TO USE:

File > Make a copy…

1. Disable all Supporting Agents in-game.

2. Input your Hit Points, Protection, Crit Power, Healing Power, Glance Chance, and Evade Chance under Base Stats. (B2-B7)

3. Add any Additional HP you’ll have during the encounter. (B9-B11)

4. Add Agents. (C2-C4)

5. Input enemy Base Damage by referencing the “Enemy [Base Damage]” drop-down menu. (C19-C20)

6. [Optional] Select any Weapons with mitigation effects you’ll be using. (B13-B17)

7. [Optional] Add any temporary defensive effects or Barriers to model incoming damage while under these effects. Misc Protection can receive input to model any unlisted Protection source, including from weapons. (G2-G17), (K2-K11), (J12-J17)

8. [Optional] Add Debilitate to the enemy, or receive a Glancing blow. (E19-E20)

Done! Read out Damage, then play around to see how other options compare!

FURTHER READING:

Protection is often considered to have diminishing returns. This is true in practice due to how quickly enemy damage scales, yet mechanically false. In-game, the value of Protection is represented as “Damage Mitigation” which appears to have diminishing returns, however this isn’t exactly what’s happening under the hood.

Protection follows a simple formula: Protection/245.38 = Effective Hit Points %

This means for every 245.38 Protection, your Hit Points will effectively increase by 1%. So the more HP you have the more Protection will add, and the more Protection you have the more HP is worth because they scale together.

Now that we’ve converted our Protection to EHP%, EHP% is multiplied by HP to determine Effective Hit Points, or EHP: HP * (EHP%/100) + HP = EHP

At this point we can mentally discard HP, Protection, and Damage Mitigation to focus exclusively on EHP to compare how effective any weapon, talisman, or other defensive effect is and determine exactly how much EHP each one adds.

Therefore whenever we speak of mitigation, Hit Points or Protection can only be used as vague metrics for comparison because their values depend on various other mitigation factors including each other, however, Effective Hit Points(EHP) is the sum of all parts so EHP is the universal resistance to understand(although this is essentially invisible in-game).

On the other side of the equation: An enemy’s Base Damage becomes (nominal) Damage when it’s reduced by debilitate and all sources of player resistances - But, we’ve already accounted for player resistances in EHP. Therefore, Base Damage subtracts from EHP. Or in other words if we know what an enemy’s Base Damage is, and we know what our EHP is, we can discard all other non-RNG variables.

Anything with the prefix Average, AVG, or labeled AHP is RNG-weighted based on Glance Chance and Evade Chance. Average EHP is the result of all sources of mitigation, but this is shown more for curiosity’s sake than for practical application because RNG is never guaranteed and a missed proc often means death in SWL. Therefore anything that is Averaged shouldn’t be relied on in practice, yet will still accurately represent your average results especially if glyphed for Defence and/or Evasion.

Data for Base Damage was collected by many hundreds of deaths over countless hours, then reverse engineered with an older version of this spreadsheet. The margin of error is some fraction of 1% depending on the tier, but keep in mind the listed values are a median: In-game damage will vary by ±5%.

If you’d like to help collect data for Base Damage, here’s how:

Testing with 0 Protection is ideal, but 2259 is what you’ll have with all passives unlocked and no items equipped. The lower the protection the lower the mitigation, which means the more accurate to the enemy’s original damage data collection will be. Unfortunately, at higher tiers this often means suiciding with Immutable which makes data collection time consuming.

However, meaningful data can still be collected in full tank gear with immutable and pain suppression(never use any abilities that increase protection or debilitate the enemy). Most of my first boss dungeon tests were performed at 34092 protection(Radiant 70 talismans & Faction Recruit), but this proved to be troublesome at the E1 and E2 tiers because damage was mitigated to such a small window.

In order to collect Base Damage data yourself, open the spreadsheet’s Data Collection tab(or start your own). Copy and paste the provided worksheet if necessary. Declare and maintain your Protection both in the spreadsheet and in-game. Face pull the enemy, and if necessary to survive use only immutable, pain suppression and similar heals that don’t increase protection or debilitate.

Monitor your combat log. Discard any glancing blows and evaded hits. Find the absolute lowest hit and the absolute highest hit. Input these values into “min” and “max” respectively. “Variance” will determine how far apart your minimum and maximum hits are: 5%(0.05) appears to be the goal which suggests damage in-game varies by ± 5%, but this degree of accuracy may not be possible to reach on any character with more than 0 Protection. If your data exceeds 5% variance from the median, double check to ensure your data wasn’t corrupted by a debilitate or some unintended Protection change.

Once data is collected, reference the “median” value. Return to the EHP & Hit Calculator tab. Disable all effects and set Protection(cell B3) to the same number you tested with, then verify at cell B24. Adjust Base Damage until Damage is equivalent to “median”. Base Damage for this enemy is now as accurate as your “variance” is to 5%. If desired, cross reference Base Damage at other Protection values by repeat testing.

Special note/request for NYR: The Lurker’s damage profile appears to be 1 second(two ticks) of very high damage followed by 9? seconds(18? ticks) of less damage. There are at least two further noticeable damage brackets during the final 20 ticks that continue to lower damage received, but currently I lack the data to prove exactly where this changes if hard damage brackets exist at all. Much more data is required for this enemy in general, and ideally data would be separated by individual stack for unbiased clarity.

JANUARY 27TH RELEASE ISSUE: Damage Reduction is a multiplicative effect, which means it and Protection are calculated differently. This is correctly reflected in Damage but currently the spreadsheet lacks a formula to automate how this becomes EHP, however it’s still possible to find the relative EHP and EHP% values of Damage Reduction effects:

1. Enable a Damage Reduction buff.
  2. Record Damage’s value.
  3. Disable the buff from Step 1.
  4. Add protection under Misc Protection until Damage’s value matches Step 2.

Since we can find the answer by hand there should be a formula for this, but I haven’t figured out how to write it out in Sheets yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Special thanks goes out to everyone who helped sanity check the spreadsheet through its many various incarnations(first iteration in June 2018, second in August 2018), and to all the RP’ers patiently waiting on me to reply. I put a few too many hours into this. :3

Possible updates:

• Gather/crowdsource data for additional enemies: E5 NYR & Dark Agartha[Gatekeeper] are high priority. Maybe specific abilities, like Concuss? Macroshock? Molten Metal?
  • Expose on player?
9 Likes

Thank you for great work. It was very nice to play with calc. Molten Metal would be very good addition if you could make it.

I hope it helped! :3

Molten Metal will be the most time consuming ability to gather data for because it will require a group, but it can be done. No promises on when, but it’s something I’d like to see too!

Thank you. Let me know, if Orochi Motivator of warding would be a good investment. Thank you

Warding isn’t inherently that bad of an affix, but there are just more useful utility affixes out there in practice. I’d rather settle on either Alacrity or Energy.

Regarding the Orochi Motivator, despite its stacked protection effect not being bad on paper, it takes it literally ages to stack. Frost-bound is the go-to tanking hammer these days, but it’s somewhat rare. I could only invite you to read the sustain tanking guide which is pinned in this subforum.

2 Likes

Thank you. It ‘twas a muse. I already have a Frost Bound alacrity. And… Flame wreathed alacrity & Pneumatic maul energy.

I’m glad y’all have it figured out. I figured it was bad.