Fantasy Favorites

Well met! I thought it would be fun to share some of the fantasy content I have enjoyed over the years. I have a notion that some may be lesser known to a point- maybe not and I would like to know. Please comment and share your favorites, maybe we’ll find something undiscovered along the way. All are from my memory, but I did research just a bit to make sure I had spellings correct. I don’t want to give away everything, in case someone wants to quest for this material.

BOOKS: Mazes and Monsters, by Rona Jaffe. This was an 1981 book, that was made into a movie in 1982 that had Tom Hanks. I remember the movie being horrible, but the book itself is really good. I am going to dig and see if i can find my copy and re-read it.

The Haven by Graham Diamond. I read this many years ago, several times. I only discovered later that apparently there are many books set in this world, but The Haven is the first. It is a fascinating story, quite different from the normal sword and sorcery that is often seen.

Of course, the big ones as everyone knows- REH et al, JRR Tolkien, Stephen R Donaldson, Guy Gavriel Kay (The Fionavar Tapestry) and many, many more.

For the Collectors:
This is a great place and a great bunch of folks. If you are need of serious weapons for a collection, check into this. From these guys, I have a hand and half aka a Bastard Sword, the prices have gone up over the years but I guess what hasn’t?
http://www.badgerblades.com/index.php

My favorite movie is a well known flick, I would think. John Boorman’s Excalibur. It does a good job of tying up many loose ends of the Arthurian Legend and covering most of the important events from several different writings into one movie.

A few of the others I will mention Sword and Sorcery, Ator the Fighting Eagle, The Beastmaster (Ha!) Now one of the *cough finest is The Warrior and the Sorceress, starring none other than David Carradine (and his name is also Kane) of TV’s Kung Fu and of course Kill Bill

There is probably alot more I could cover, but I am getting a bit long for this post. Enjoy!

2 Likes