Fish Bait & Bait Farming

While the idea of needing bait isn’t a bad idea, to incorporate it without updating a better way to farm the bait is terrible. I’ve found the only way is to whack bushes with my axe or pickaxe yet the yield is soo terrible at the cost of repairs for my tools it makes fishing quite useless, low priority. Please incorporate a better yield to farming these critters so we can make use of fishing again.
Edit: The sickle works better upon a second login/test run however the ratio to repairs still feels off. Low end ingredients shouldn’t be hard or take advanced methods to produce.

I always build 5 compost boxes and leave a fertilizer in them so that they generate fat grubs. You quickly have a stack of 50 per box and you can catch fish with it.
edit:
Funnily enough, the non-stop fish generation has only shifted because the compost boxes are now working continuously. xD

4 Likes

I always believed that using your pick on a bush is pointless and silly. Use sickle, you’ ll get fiber, seeds, bees and bugs. Fiber is more important than stones in so many ways. Even if you actually composting, you need fiber, so my opinion is to stop this system with the picks and use the sickle.
Now if I can add something to the bate issue, is that I would actually had one bait for every single fish, especially for the buff fishes :wink:.

2 Likes

At stelagel I totally agree with the sickle option and it was a late thought. But yes, I found I was only getting occasional handfuls of bugs using my pickaxe but the ratio to repairs is completely off. Hand picking is not an option unless you’re level 1 just gathering to craft your first tools. They didn’t think this one through and it’s done more harm than good to fishing. I hope they can push this fix up soon.
& at Dark_Overlord that’s also something I didn’t think of and good, yet more work, especially unfriendly to lower levels yet to begin the composting processes. But, that will help myself atm. Thank You for that bit

1 Like

I’ve just come back to game after some time off to start finding these changes. I also notice it takes more food to break Thralls in the wheel which leads me to believe the same for taming animals therefore generating Greaters will become a way too serious grind if true. Plenty for me to start finding. I hope they can properly adjust drop rates, even if some not too significant, but something to not “Break” previously or already difficult to attain things. Time will tell and hopefully an Admin/Dev, whome I’m sure have plenty to do as is, will look into these things. This doesn’t just affect PVE… as it’ll make these things on PVP servers far more of a nuisance.

Also, at the Devs, I wanted to take the time to Thank You All for your hard work and what you bring us. We wouldn’t have issues like this if it wasn’t for you bringing the changes others have asked for at some point in the first place, which goes to show you are trying to make player opinionated changes etc. I’ve well over 1k hours into game with at times when I had too much time on my hands 60 hour weeks. Goes to show I enjoy what You All have brought us. Thank You :smile:
Keep up the excellent work!

1 Like

Probably, just a little uptick on the number of insects and bees collected when harvesting plants would make a world of difference. Plus, maybe allowing for the use of Cochinel as bait, I mean they are bugs.

I have 3 composts at my base and three Improved Fish Traps. My primary bait are grubs. Every time I get the chance, I take the grubs off the composts and throw them in one of my freezers, especially when we are not baiting the traps. Like before signing off or if the traps are already baited and still collecting fish. This way, we always have something to put in the traps. It actually works out okay. Add to that regular insects and the occasional bee, we eat fish strips as our main energy snack on patrol and get a decent number of those special fish too.

1 Like

If I can add something to the bait list is the shrimp. I love the real fishing you know and my bait 80% is the shrimps. Another great bait is the bread, we have the ability to fix bread in the game but it has no use, so as a fish bait it would be awesome. Another bait is the greens, we have aloe, phycus, glowing coop and fiber. Some fishes enter the fish traps when they see greens inside.
So, yes we have a lot of options to make the fishing experience more effective. All that remains now is to wait and see :wink:.

1 Like

I may have ran into a glitch or who knows because the sickle is now producing approximately 10-12 critters from Bushes upon testing/short farm run for eggs. However… my main reason for fishing was to produce Ichor and now they aren’t producing that so I either ran into another bug or they changed up Ichor and I now have to travel/fight more stuff for a low end ingredient… LoL. Ooof

1 Like

Been that way on PC for months. I deleted all of my fishtraps. I dont even bother. If you’re on CE that is. . .If your on Siptah. . . have fun.

Spiders drop about 35 ichor per kill and you just look at them and they die. I run the spider caves every few days and come back with around 600 ichor. (Just the two upper caves).

Salamanders drop also, but are more annoying to kill.

3 Likes

Well the best ichor farming for me by killing foes is the alligators in the jungle across the docks where the mini boss reptilian monstrosity is. The spiders in the executioners cave give good amounts of ichor too, but I believe that fishing is giving ichor too, try the videos of @Wak4863, I am really sure he has all the answers you need. Unfortunately I play on ps4 and I am way behind. Plus all the scorpions and the locust gives ichor too. One last thing that comes to my mind is pressing the abysmal flesh, but I am not sure if it works on pc now.

1 Like

Thanks @stelagel for mentioning me.

This is the answer or at least the work around. :wink:

3 Likes

TY @Wak4863 & @Dark_Overlord and all who’ve contributed thus far. I feel the low end Mats shouldn’t take extra work or advanced methods to obtain. Great answers and Thank You for your time to assist us here.
At_JJDancer Great reply and thanks. Killing spideys is easy as we get past low levels, though, so not too bad a work-around. I usually run them over otw to the Boss (Giant) in the Desert then swing my Sickle like crazy. I got used to the cooking method but in the end, less useless cooked fish clogging up storage or sitting to produce Putrid Meat isn’t a bad thing.
@stelagel I can agree with having more useful uses for the fish/shellfish etc. I’m not opposed to the fishing rod idea yet I wouldn’t want it to take from the static placement farming methods as this game requires enough time focused to things as it is than to find myself playing Bait n Hook for hours.

1 Like

To the game no way, i don’t want fishing rods, no game can replace real fishing, none. Baits i want for the fish traps, i want fishing to be more controlled. Especially the deep fishing. Special fishes must have baits, i use them a lot and it would be awesome if i could control the numbers i get every day. This is the greatest purpose of my complaint :wink:.

1 Like

That’s not entirely an apples to apples comparison, as each box is capped at 50 grubs.

1 Like