Funcom apparently doesn’t understand that the players have at least been its customers

Oh, I don’t know, either. I mean, it certainly can’t be that this game isn’t quite as horrible as so many people on these forums make it out to be, can it? I mean, if selling Conan Exiles and its DLCs was enough to cover the ongoing cost of hosting official servers, that would mean that many people here were wrong, and we can’t have that. :roll_eyes:

If only the rules said why claim spam is a problem. Something, anything. If they said something like this, then that would make things much clearer:

Sadly, we’ll never know the truth.

Most of the time they can’t even do that, because they often can’t know which player is responsible. Not every little detail of every individual action is stored in the game database or event log.

1 Like

And that is what having discussions on a forum should be about. :grin:

But you are still not addressing the question of where they are going to get the money to add yet more staff to admin all of these servers. As it has been well established the cosmetic DLC’s pay for the servers, or at least a large chunk of that cost. So where do you propose they get the additional funds. If we are talking about additional cosmetic DLC’s well, just look at the other posts of rage fill tantrums on the forum about those. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, my point was that PS and XBOX do not even have ACCESS to it. Not that it’s a bad idea, I love PIPPI and I think it’s one of the two most essential mods. I personally play on PC and I also play on private servers, not officials. However, that does not mean that I could care less about people who play on PS and XBOX, or that they are worth less than people who play on PC. That’s nonsense. So my point was simply that they, as a company, should not implement things on official servers that only 1/3 of their platforms have access to. I hope that clears up my point.

2 Likes

I will admit that I often completely forget PS and Xbox even exist, lol.
I won’t say / admit what my instinctive reaction is whenever I read in a gaming forum “What about PS and XBOX” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sometimes even people you’ve known a long time who are generally good people cheat at games too.

I knew a guy who cheated at cards simply because he thought it was fun to try to get away with it. He wouldn’t play for money, he had nothing to gain from winning. He would even flat out admit that he liked to cheat at cards if you asked him.

Dude was pretty good at it too, he could stack a deck while shuffling in plain sight. In retrospect he probably could have been a pretty good sleight of hand magician if he had any interest in it

2 Likes

Just a heads up between the three platforms on all regions it’s about 1200 servers not hundreds.

1 Like

That’s not entirely true: they sell DLCs, and they’ll try to sell other games like Dune, and then they’ll cry because no one gonna buy it (if people has memory and can remember how Funcom treated them at Conan). Not charging a monthly fee is no excuse to mistreat customers who paid for their game.

In my opinion playing on official pvp servers is impossible now: without mentioning the issue of cheaters you can be banned at any time, you do not need to claim half a map, with a base large enough to be defensible you can be reported … and maybe you won’t baned but no one is safe now (unless your base is an easily raideable 10x10 in which case you can’t play on a pvp server either).

Really?? “Unfortunately we cannot disclose any additional information from our investigation”. It is the generic message that Funcom sends in all their bans, they tell you why they ban you but they never tell you exactly why. I have friends who got banned for buildings and they dont even know where and what building was wrong at Funcoms eyes…

Oh yes, of course, with their new policy legal gamers are leaving the game and are replaced by cheaters from that Asian country that cannot be named :wink: It will be a wonderful vision. The last 3 wars that my clan fought before leaving Conan were against all speedhackers, there were no clans left who fight by normal ways. That was one of reasons that we stopped playing and seeing what is happening now I doubt very much that we will return.

1 Like

With this new policy your clan does not even need to cheat, they does not have to insult anyone, in fact they does not even have to build a huge construction … just a big one and someone who knows how to write reports and wants to bother. For those who think I’m exaggerating, I personally know people who reported a base only in revenge for being reported (for trash talking) and with “crying” enough they sent them to the ban, I don’t know how long, but long enough to wipe them. And seeing that it works they have done it more than once with more than one clan …

1 Like

Pretty much this.

I’ve been admining on and off for about three years now and the story is always the same. Player does a naughty thing. Thinks its cool, funny, and edgy. Giggles to his ‘friends’ about it. Gets reported (sometimes by so called friends… that’s funny and it happens a lot) and gets themselves actioned or banned.

Well their funny joke backfired and now they feel personally attacked. How dare the admin rain on their parade like that. Its an insult. So they respond back in kind. They talk about how the admin abuses the players, exploits the players, and all sorts of made up nonsense.

They don’t stop there. They try to be as toxic as they can, PMing other people in discords. Making social media posts, and so forth. In this case they go on the forums, leave bad steam reviews, and generate all kinds of toxic false nonsense.

I just wish Funcom would share the blacklist.txt file with private server owners so we can prevent that toxicity coming to them as well. You have to do something really screwed up on an official to get banned. That is NOT the player I want to deal with.

9 Likes

Yeah, I keep hearing that same old tired claim, that “people will remember this” and that’s why Dune will flop. Thing is, for that to be true, those people have to be a significant number. It looks like Funcom is willing to be that it’s a small minority that keeps making the game crappy for the rest of us.

Not charging a monthly fee gives them the right to do whatever the hell they want with the service they’re offering you for free. As for “mistreating” the customers, we’re at an impasse there: a bunch of you claim that you’re being mistreated because Funcom is getting serious about enforcing the rules they set a long time ago. The rest of us are skeptical about that claim.

Yeah, I was wondering when this was going to become a discussion about PVP players’ unwillingness to adapt to the fact that claim spam for treb protection and foundation stacking until the server is bleeding are two things that are against the rules. Guess I didn’t have to wait long.

Every single time something changes about PVP, there’s always an uproar on these forums from the people who just don’t wanna adapt. The only difference this time is that people think that being banned is unfair because they’re not outright cheating.

If you keep shifting the goal posts, you’ll always be right. “Funcom didn’t spell out exactly how I broke the rules” is not really the same as “Funcom did not bother to justify the ban in any way”.

Knowing you got banned from “blocking content”, for example, is already enough info to preclude you from pretending that you’ve been wronged and have no idea why you got banned.

I’ll be brutally honest here: I don’t care. Yeah, I know cheating is a problem and I completely agree they should solve it. But even if I did play on PVP servers and even if I chose to play on official PVP servers, I still wouldn’t think that not dealing with one kind of rule infraction somehow excuses the other kinds of rule infractions.

“They’re not punishing cheaters, so they shouldn’t punish claim spammers and overbuilders” never sounded logical to me. It’s like saying “the police doesn’t do anything about carjackers, therefore I should be allowed to break into cars to steal stuff”.

Conveniently for this discussion, we’ll just have to take everyone’s word that there was nothing bannable about this base, like for example claim spam…

6 Likes

I arguably don’t understand why you’re messing this up here. Do you intend to direct this discussion entirely to a topic other than what this is about?
Have you ever even built a base on an official server?
If you were really playing on official servers and owning big bases you would understand what is being discussed in this conversation and you would not be presenting irrelevant posts here and proposing absolutely incredibly outrageous stuff like blacklists of players. It would no longer be lacking here if players innocent of offenses were put on some official blacklist.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Rino really knows how things are on PvP server 1088.
I don’t play there very actively and at the moment I don’t have a clan and a base there at all anymore, only that way I can avoid for sure for sure that I won’t get a band.
In the last 8 months, almost every clan of the larger base has been banned from there, and the server was so popular last winter that it couldn’t even play there when the raid time started, you had to log in an hour before you could get into the game.
Now, server 1088 is just a negligible shadow of its former popularity.
So is this funcom’s goal? Run official servers down.
It would be fairer to state directly that they will all be wiped blank.

1 Like

I also play on another PVP server and Funcom has made me change my style of play totally with its ban action.
Before, I was kind to all new players, now I kill and destroy them as soon as I find them.

Dude was probably better than most pro sleight of hand magicians if he had legit card cheating skills - the majority of magicians would get caught if they even tried (and most aren’t even capable of the relevant skills). There’s good reasons that many of the great magicians of the last century or two spent as much time as the could interviewing and hanging out with card cheats - they were learning everything they could :slight_smile: (It all kinda comes down to consequences - if a magician gets caught, it maybe messes up the performance, whereas if a card-cheat gets caught, things could get very bad…) (And ‘stacking the deck while shuffling’ was the perfect example to describe his skill :slight_smile: I can do a couple of tricks that might seem like I’m doing that, but doing it for real, while being closely watched by other card players, is a whole different set of skills :slight_smile: )

That’s the point: there is no clear rule, not even rough, of what is right or what is wrong. In fact when those people I know wrote their reports they weren’t sure at all that they would have an effect, they just did it for testing and it worked. By that I mean that when they saw the base they didn’t say “oh it has an illegal construction, let’s report it, maybe they’ll be banned” but “Do you think they can ban someone for a base like that? -I don’t know, let’s try to report to see what happens”.

Before the main problem of the official PVP servers were the cheaters, now the problem has been added that you never know when you can be banned, there is no safe way to build and be 100% sure that you will not be banned for that. (unless you build a small cube that will raid in 5 mins).

On the other hand I will give advice to those who have been unjustly banned, it is not worth complaining, complaints will not be heard or posts will be deleted. Paradoxically the best they can do is follow the TOC especially the part about not skipping the bans: if you have been unfairly banned, DO NOT BUY ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO KEEP PLAYING, because it gives me the impression that they are giving permabans for BUILDING to make people buy the game again + Siptah (now required to play PVP because the transfer)

2 Likes

Ah, for everyone, for this base Funcom banned a player 14 days… for claim spamming. It would be funny if it weren’t a shame.

If that is all that was built, then I wouldn’t agree with that ban. Big IF though. For all we know you could have land claim (what you say it was banned for) anywhere else on the map. Are you claiming that is the only structure built and that there was no land claim anywhere else?

I couldn’t agree more with this. Since the meta has been to offline raid for so long PVPers have “had” to adopt an “unraidable” base strategy in response. At the minimum the bases try to waste as much time as possible to maximize the chance that you will actually be online to intercept a raid - or discourage even trying to raid. This is a big part IMO of why spam has become so rampant.

The rules have been counter to this meta for a long time and it seems like FC is stepping up moderation (hopefully). Chaos is the new meta. Raid and be raided, stop being so attached to your stuff. Small well built and hidden bases are the new passive defense - the preference for “unraidable” is not viable anymore.

This shakeup hurts the old strategies of big clans, big “unraidable” bases, and maximum online uptime. IF (I’m still skeptical) FC is implementing the rules the meta will shift more towards what the solo/duo meta is now/has been.

On a side note, PC PVP player’s FOV hurts my brain. I may play on console, but you guys play the game looking through the peephole of the front door lol.

4 Likes

Its pretty easy to follow the ToS if someone reads them. If you dont like them, rent your own server (kinda the way Funcom rents space for you to play on) or host your own on a local machine using the dedi program Funcom provides you as an alternative.

3 Likes

I agree with this 100%.

Did Funcom specify it was for “claim spamming” or give a more generic reason like “due to building abuse”? Also, was this the only base owned by that clan?

2 Likes

He is a single player it was his only base, he told me it was for “claim spamming” but I dont see the mail Funcom sent him to be sure 100% (EDITED) I talked with him: “Your account has been temporarily suspended from playing on official servers for 14 days as a warning due to claim spam.” I is what Funcom sends him.

1 Like

Did he confirm this what the only structure he had built? Or I guess more directly, that there is not land claim somewhere else that might have gotten him banned?

1 Like