Funcom, time to end the debate. Server TOS

Oh just calm down :wink:

Yes, too many threads on the subject, too many taken off topic by the subject. But I think most will agree; on either side of the topic, the official servers need a hard, well defined, enforced TOS. And I don’t mean just against cheaters on PVP servers.

Funcom can end all these arguments about what is and isn’t a TOS violation on an official server. You have people hiding behind and abusing the system because of it vagueness.

Official server building restrictions

Please remember that there are other players sharing the server with you. Restricting others’ access to content is not allowed beyond of course grabbing a spot for your base. If you wish to reign supreme on the map and hog all the resources and enemies, please consider single player or setting up your own server, or - in the case of PvP servers - play fair.

I’d love to think that is well understood by all, but it seems I am quite wrong about that. I’m not at all sure how that can be misunderstood but if it wasn’t we wouldn’t have the present building restrictions

Some specific cases where we will act when made aware:

• Blocking of content in the game, such as dungeons, obelisks, resources, and other areas of the game."

That is pretty damn vague and open to a lot of interpretation. I mean we can probably agree on the dungeons and obelisk bit, but if I build and block 3 aloe plants is that actionable? Just which resources? Is it a density thing? And I think the last of the sentence defines vague.

For me that means clear paths and short cuts. But then if that is the case would me building entries that aren’t blocked, to make hidden shortcuts easy to find, be actionable?

• Abuse of the claim system where blocks are placed for no other purpose than to prevent other players’ access to resources and building spots. Please check out our documentation about Land Claim Abuse on Official Servers 1.1k for more information.*

Really don’t think that can be any more clear. But then I read, reread, edit and reedit in hopes of being clear, but a few people still misunderstand me. So for this one I need help pointing out the vagueness.

• Massive constructions or over-use of memory-intensive items leading to loss of performance both on client and server-side.*

This is vague by degrees. I mean there are some bases that are the gaudiest pieces of look at me show off/enses that just drags my FPS down to unplayable levels. I wouldn’t report them; judge them sure, but never report them. So how would funcom gauge that? Leaving it up to our own judgement just leads to too many or not enough reports.

Now my GPU is old,1060 6gig. My settings are moderate. I do what I can to keep my FPS up in and around my base. But I’m not going to report some one that wants their base to look like the Vegas strip.

Time will not be spent carefully removing only offending pieces. All constructions belonging to the owner (player or clan) will be destroyed. There will be no refunds of materials or inventories.

Notice no where does that say banned. But that sums up the TOS regrading building. I’ve pointed out what I think really needs a clearer definition. But then, as I pointed out, what seems clear to me many not be so cut and dried for others.

8 Likes

One thing that is overlooked in most of these discussions is “time to moderate” = cost. More extensive rules clarifications means a longer, more detailed checklist for a moderator and potential internal discussions again about whether a “clear rule” has a loophole. The current rules give a server admin the freedom to make a call and move on without incurring extra cost in moderation that a “reasonable player” would not subject them to. Adding cost to officials is most likely going to result in fewer of them, so people should tread carefully if they don’t want another round of server merges.

Just my take.

3 Likes

Ahhh shieeeee here we go again - thread N99 about TOS =)
Yes, we all agreed we need strict and clear rules (so no more shady bans\base erase) on officials.
But for some reason we have not received (and probably will not receive) those

For ex. after almost a year i still didn’t know was my base erased because of TOS violation (so why no warning\bans?), or because of some server\stability\decay glitch\desync.
1 If we didn’t allowed to build inside caves and canyons (passes) - so why this areas are green (claimable?)
2 How we suppose connect our base parts (for ex. main castle and separate gates) without walls\roads? (to prevent decay)?

If youre asking the forum, you will get “rare resources” as a reply. Thing is, what do you consider rare, and are they really that rare with the 4x harvest on? And finally, are you referring to PVE or PVP, because that should matter too. Trust me on this one, did long discussions with people on it.

Yes, bannable. Bridges over water/canyons are another thing. They provide a faster, easier way around/over things, but that is worthy of 30 days bans. You are allowe to build your square block base, and nothing more.

We do need some official reply on this too. Becuase weve heard it lots from a particular forum member that he can lag a game to its knees with 5 building pieces, and others can build 20,000 piece bases that dont cause any issue. Sadly, that person fails to explain how so I cant verify the truth behind it.

Problem with asking the forums is we get players opinions, and not Funcoms answers.

They probably could but it seems they don’t really care that they permanently ban their playerbase for building. Good luck with this thread
 they typically all end the same with no clarification.

This is my personal favorite

• Blocking of content in the game, such as dungeons, obelisks, resources, and other areas of the game.

Resources, and Other areas of the game
.:man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

Some of you may not have seen it as the thread was locked and delisted but official communication did share that they are working on the ToC.

“We understand the guidelines aren’t optimal and we are still working on improving them.”

This is the first time I’d seen acknowledgement in regard to the many posts and comments on this subject. This was about 1.5 weeks ago now.

2 Likes

As someone who has played by, enforced, and written rules and policies for servers in the past (for several games, including Conan Exiles) I can say that you do need clarity in your rules, but you also need a level of ambiguity.

For example, I’ve never seen a complaint about the following rule:

• Offensive and defamatory chat and user-created content of racial, sexual, hateful, illicit, or of other nature. This extends to character names, guild names, in-game signs, and so on.

There’s no list of derogatory terms. Everyone reads that and goes, “yeah that looks about right, don’t be a dick to people.” But I could point out about a dozen or so comments used on a daily basis just in these forums alone that fit that description. Of course to be fair, when such terms are used they are normally used in a non-malevolent way and usually ignorantly. We DO have a very diverse community and there are phrases and terms that aren’t universally offensive, so these light infractions get a pass.

However, that does make the rule vague and ambiguous. And it should be. If someone used one of those light infractions in a malevolent way they should be punished.

So let’s talk about one of the rules brought up in the OP.

This one is pretty ambiguous. It doesn’t list the amount that causes loss of performance and it doesn’t really define what is actually massive. But I will say this. Speaking on this rule and this rule alone. You have to go out of your way to create buildings with an excessive amount of negative space or filled in space that provides literally zero benefit to oneself. This isn’t something that can accidently be breached. And I would say that there isn’t many cases of someone getting dinged on this rule. If they do, then they likely deserved it.

The rule that gets the most people strung up on is this one:

On one of my last builds I did a medieval town done in Nemedian. Along the pathways I had pillars with wall braziers. It looked like a nice little lampost getup. I used them mainly around other buildings, but I also used them in areas outside of the little area leading up to it. Normal people would think such a thing would look neat, artistic, and inviting. But doing those pillars outside of my area on an official server would violate the quoted rule. Pillars exert landclaim and thus my landclaim would exist outside of my main area.

In addition the little town would likely be in violation if the buildings were too spread out. Keeping them small and within 1-2 foundations would likely be fine. But when people build towns, they normally don’t build their buildings that close.

The idea behind this landclaim rule is to literally have the players build in a small as a space as they can to allow more space on the server for the hundreds of players they share their server with. The reason we do not get physical dimensions limits in hard terms is this changes based on location. An area that can reliably fit three different players/clans’ bases should be able to fit those. A slightly smaller area may only fit two, but those two can take a little more space than the first example. There is far too many instances on the map where people can build to list them all. Which is why they don’t. Even then such listings would be subjective anyway.

Here’s another one where I don’t actually believe people get hit up as much as the Landclaim. But it is often contested by players as you can see directly by the OP:

Sorry to say, this statement is outright disingenuous. They are wrapped up around the term ‘Resources’. Here’s the thing, if the word resources was omitted. Then we would have players blocking world boss spawns, rare material spawns, and even despawn every bit of brimstone on the map (this was quite common a few years ago). And then when they get hemmed up for it and actioned, they’ll claim it wasn’t in the rules.

But let’s be honest here, players are always going to be disingenuous about this rule. I mean three aloe? Really, you have to ask? The fact that people even bring up aloe, stone, wood, and various other common materials that litter the ground over 60-90% of the map just goes to show they aren’t being serious.

Oh but it does:

Just got to scroll down a bit.

We typically issue a 14-days temporary suspension as a way to warn and deter against repeating infractions. Any infractions beyond that will result in a longer suspension up to a permanent, non-appealable BAN from official servers.

There is definitely different ways FC can handle this situation. They could put a block limit. That has its pros and cons. Not every 5,000 block building affects things in the same way. The downside of a block limit is players will gravitate towards filling in their limit knowing (or believing) everyone else is. The whole keeping up with the joneses problem. I know this from experience, when players have limits, they fill them. When everyone fills them, you need to keep them low.

For example, an official server has probably 100-300 players on it (potentially more since most are 5 years old). If we separate that into clans its probably about 75-200 entities. You give them all a limit of 5,000 pieces, they will all start hitting that limit. Whereas yeah some may have 10,000 but many probably have far less than 5,000. Its not a good situation.

Its also why when you see private servers with limits its something crazy like 350 pieces per person (clan of 4 gets 1400 in that case). That’s an incredibly small limit. You all don’t want that.

But again
 its not needed. As I said, massive builds aren’t really a problem with people getting banned. Whenever I see the “I got banned, FC Bad” post, its about landclaim. You can net yourself a suspension based on that factor with only 5-10 building pieces used. Ironically its probably around 10 pieces errantly placed that got them into trouble, assuming they weren’t actually being dicks about it, which in most cases they are. Trying to play Julius Caesar around Vercingetorix is gonna get you in trouble (if that’s your style of play, stick to scenario based private servers).

They could try to be more specific in their rules, but as @darthphysicist pointed out, that adds time to moderation. Already the customer service guys have a pretty heinous job. When they open up a report, they have to hope the report includes:

Character name or Clan
Offending name or Clan
Offense reported
Server number
General map location
Screenshots

If any of those first five things are missing. You have an issue. They’ll try to solve it without kicking it back to the reporter for more information if its possible. For example, if there is no screenshot but they get a map location. They can kinda float around till they find it.

A grid square in Exiled Lands is about 500mx500m. To thoroughly check an area with just a clan name given can take about 20 minutes. Screenshots will cut it down drastically, especially if there is a map dot shown in one of them at the location.

But if for example, landclaim is say a specific number of foundations. Guess what? Now the investigator has to go in, fly up to the offending structure and start counting. Have you all ever tried to count foundations on large builds? I mean if its a stupid low number like 10x10 they could do it in about a minute or two. But you all are going to be very angry if you only get a 10x10. Even a 20x20 is kinda on the small side (for a clan, alright for a solo). But if you get a 20x20, is it only 20 on a side or is it going to be 400squared? Thus 10x40, 28x14, and 25x16 and everything inbetween. Hopefully NOT 1x400 for God’s sake. Which some of you would do if you were allotted a 400sqaured foundation limit. And then cry when banned for it.

When there is 400+ servers, and a handful of people moderating them. Some concessions have to be made for time and convenience. This is the compromises even servers with multiple full time admins even have to contend with. Do you want moderation response times in 24-72 hours, or 2-3 weeks? The faster the response, the less of a check list they need. But the more vague the rules will be.

Its very easy in some cases to make a set of rules and think you’ve covered all the bases. Then come to find out that enforcing said rules is an absolute nightmare. I’ve been lucky in the past that when it comes to enforcement I’ve usually been able to make an on the spot adjustment. FC doesn’t have that luxury. Not when you have several thousand players across a few hundred servers.

But one thing the players need to do is stop being disingenuous, like this:

He’s being facetious with this, but doesn’t seem to give a damn about the repercussions and consequences of said bridge. Let’s assume in this example that the bridge is NOT connected to a base. Its a building entirely meant for convenience. Oh how nice of them to build something for public use right? What if someone wanted to build in one of the spots the bridge goes over? I mean river side land area is pretty nice, you can put down fish traps and have water without needing a well, and it just looks nice. Well the bridge says no. Not only to you, but another person who wishes to build on the other side.

In this example someone just blocked two decently sized areas for they’re own ego that prevents potentially two clans from having bases in the general area. That’s why that comes with hefty suspension. And it should. Thankfully the one in this example got nailed hard enough that they’ll now be on their toes in the future. Thus the rule is working as intended.

Most people actually know how to behave themselves, they just choose not to. But they get in line when they get booped on the snoot. But ego tends to make them a tad salty for it.

3 Likes

@Taemien wtf :smiley:
Before I read that I want to point out that your post is a building violation in itself, definitely using too many blocks :joy:
Now to read it - will edit for any comments

3 Likes

Should’ve made it game mechanic instead of rules by people.

3 Likes

People would still exploit it and we’d be right back where we are.

1 Like

Just make more restricted areas - it will not remove 100% of issue, but at least no more human\controversy factor, you just cant physically build there
 period.
people get used to it and whoalla - no more blocking.

3 Likes

I’d rather dev time get spent on new features and content. Not dealing with admin issues.

Twenty years from now, I’ll still have those features and content. Those servers likely won’t be around.

1 Like

Wrong. I was being quite literal. I got a ban for a bridge.

It wasnt connected, and it was for convenience. As I was told by many people who used it.

Please tell me you are joking. Please. Youre going to sit there, and try to tell me that the one foundation wide bridge that went over claimed so much land on that river system that stretches for many tiles, was so bad there was literally no where else someone could drink from or put down fish traps? You realize they could go about 6 foundations on either side of the bridge and place them right?

If this is the case, every single base in Conan is against the TOS. Theres no way to back out of your argument.

Well, Umborls already said that land claim bans are only two weeks, so one month is going over and above the usual to set a precedent. Is this the hill Funcom is gonna die on? A bridge is worthy of 30 day suspension? Its beyond laughable. Ive talked to well over 20 people who played Conan with me over the last 5 years. Every single one laughed at this. No, land claim issues should ever come with a suspension, unless it is done with malicious intent - example being spider web spam around bases. NOT bridges. Would community map rooms fall under a 30 day ban too?

Nope, wont change anything. Gonna go back and wipe every single sandstone base I see on the map. Screw other players wanting to build and play the game. Weve been a passive clan for years, only attacking those that attacked us. We let people play and build and have fun. It ends. It ends because some entitled little wuss couldnt make some bombs and blow up a bridge. Had to use the weaponized reporting system.

No salt. Remember when I said about a year ago Id laugh if I got banned? Well, we did. The salt is from the whiners who report bridges on servers with less then 4 players on it. Wait, maybe you could explain why someone would want to build so close to another player when there is only 4 people on a server?

Thus the true colors come forward. Going to screw over people who had nothing to do with the initial report or actions taken in a tantrum.

And we’re supposed to have pity and empathy for the ones ‘wrongfully banned’. Nope. When you eventually get your perma ban, you will simply be forgotten. As it should be.

1 Like

Its a pvp server dude. Just gonna go pvp.

Lol, for pvping? Mmkay. Back to privates for you.

Completely different departments.

That’s the point I am making, check the post that was replied to.

1 Like

Sure, but this one is different and will succeed where others have failed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Who are these people supposed to be? Are we talking about people who knowingly submit spurious reports? Because that’s the only possible abuse of the reporting system, and the only consequence that can be laid at those players’ feet is the gumming up of the process due to increased volume, leading to auto-closed tickets.

Any other negative consequence of the reporting system is Funcom’s fault and no one else’s. Got suspended and you don’t know what rules you broke and how to avoid breaking them in the future? Funcom’s fault for not communicating clearly. Got suspended even though you didn’t break any rules? Funcom’s fault for not investigating it properly.

Deja moo. Look, there are certainly gray areas and edge cases in the rules that we might need clarified, but this thing with “3 aloe plants” or “some rocks and trees” is not one of those. Anyone, and I mean anyone who needs to be explained the difference between 3 aloe plants and a world boss is asking that question in bad faith. No amount of clarification will help there.

And it’s pretty much guaranteed that any thread that starts with a question like that will end up no different than all the others that came before, i.e. full of people making bad faith arguments about how the “weaponized reporting is the new meta”, and asking for non-solutions like building limits that would only make things worse for legit builders without solving any actual problems.

But hey, we haven’t had one of those in quite a while, thanks to the outrage over monetization, and the cries for nerf over the lightning storm. Might as well have one while we wait to be outraged by the upcoming dev stream :crazy_face:

1 Like

What do you mean bad faith? If you block my strand of grass I’ll report you! :rage:

GIF Gallery — Dillon O'Keefe

It’s actually the other way around :slight_smile: Rules regarding conduct in these types of setting NEED to be vague, because otherwise you DO get the people who try to abuse them and turn internet-lawyer.

The moment you draw a clear line in the sand you will see people rudely pushing right up against it trying to maximize their gain from it and even when they manage to find something that is indeed disruptive, but not specifically mentioned in the “clear” rules, you’ll immediately get the “I’m not breaking any rules!” defense

So in this case
 “less is actually more”. That’s why sometimes a lot of communities can function really well just with simple subjective rules like “don’t be a d!ck to others” and they don’t need 20 pages explaining any possible scenario to avoid where one could cause others harm.

It’s not the rules that need to be more clear in this case, the rules are completely fine imo. (the only part I’d really change is the “warning” for false reporting
 that should also have serious consequences when they can pinpoint it as such).
The rules are fine
 it’s the feedback AFTER applying the rules that is lacking

The “We banned you cuz you had 4 foundations further from your base and their land claim was blocking a rare spawn in a cave below” part, so that next time you know not to forget pieces all over the place.

3 Likes

Just a small quibbles.

The 39 other players they share an official server with, at most.

On to the main topic, perhaps they could clarify what the “memory intensive” items are. Perhaps put a tag on them in the craft menu so everyone knows what objects must be used sparingly.
But then people will deliberately spam them
Perhaps, but then they will all deserve the bans they get with less question.
Regardless, some visible indicator of what an area’s load intensity is would remove the accidental aspect.

Likewise blocking resources is obnoxious.
Does a tuft of grass or clump of rock count?
By leaving it undefined it keeps the door open for more whimsical/lazy enforcement. Which is as likely a feature as a bug.

But that’s tangent to the actual issue.
Which is a lack of trust. If the player base trusted the administration of the officials, there wouldn’t be the constant demand for more stringent and defined rules. There would still be the off case of some trollish posterior birth throwing a tantrum because they got their just desserts. But the saturation would be down.

As matters stand, this one is firmly in the Administration of servers on Officials is whimsical camp. Sometimes it seems spot on, but just as likely it is spitefully overzealous or non responsive. But the one thing it doesn’t seem to be is consistent.

It’s hard to trust that which is inconsistent. What most of those requesting more defined rules don’t seem to have internalized is that the rules never apply to the person who makes them, and only apply to others when those who enforce them chose it. No amount of specific regulation will ever be more than a polite suggestion for those who actually have administrative authority.

More specific rules won’t actually get the result anyone wants. It will only increase their feelings of righteous indignation when they are acted upon in a way that seems contrary to them.

1 Like