Platform: Steam
Issue Type: Gameplay
Game Mode: all
Server Type: all
Map: both
Server Name: all
Mods: none

Bug Description:

German translation of mage is wrong. Mage is not “Magi” in german. The word you look after is called “Magier”. Please correct the word in any german translation. The screen is only one example.

Bug Reproduction:

check the word mage in any german translation

In this case not “Magi-Schädel” - correct is “Magierschädel”.
In the text use “… mächtigen Magiers…”. Thanks a lot for correction.

“Schlangenmagier-Rüstung” please

“Schlangenmagier-Sattel” please

“Schlangenmagier-Tafel” please

“Schlangenmagier-Statue” please

“Schlangenmagier-Bogen” please

“Schlangenmagier-Katze” please

“Schlangenmagier-Zepter” please

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure its not a translation issue, but what scorcerers are referred to in-game lore, Magi being sorcerers so the word would be used as a name in reference to a specific group of people.

I´m sure that is a german translation issue, the german word is “Magier” not “Magi”. In some case Funcom use “Magier” in a right german translation. The can use in english “mage” or “sorcerer” and in german “Magier” or “Beschwörer” please.

How good is your german, Tystin?

Take it easy, it’s a video game. Also, in this game, the word Magi is a name. In the German version, is Acheronaian translated differently? What about Conan? Is that something else in German?

True, “mage” is not “Magi” in German, but they are not translating the word “mage” to German. There are two kinds of skulls you can get from the Chapter 2 encounters.

One of them is called sorcerer’s skull in the English version. You get it by killing sorcerer NPCs in camps and it looks like this:

The other is called Magi skull in the English version. You get it by killing the sorcerers from special encounters (for example, Baalzamon in the volcano), and it looks like this:

That’s the one you’re showing in your screenshot.

The word “magi” is the plural of the Latin word “magus”. These words originally referred to Zoroastrian priests and those of earlier religions from the same region. They are also the origin of the words like “magic” and “magician”.

In modern usage, many fantasy authors use the word “Magus” and its plural “Magi” to refer to wizards, sorcerers, or magicians of higher status, to distinguish between a regular wizard and someone who has dedicated their life to pursuit of studies of higher forms of magic.

Conan Exiles follows the same pattern: the NPC you encounter all over the map are called “sorcerers”, but the handful of special bosses are called “Magi”.

(As an aside, I think the skull should be called “Magus skull” in the English version, but I can understand wanting to avoid confusion.)

Now, I don’t speak German, so I would leave it to you, @Testpionier, to answer the following question: what would be a good German translation for “sorcerer” and “Magi” that would preserve the distinction between the two?

For that matter, I’m curious as to how they translated “sorcerer” to German. Did they use “Zauberer”? If they did, then it would make sense to use “Magier” as a translation for “Magi”.

2 Likes

This video game turned into an expensive game lately. A little more quality and care would be appropriate when customers pay many hundreds of euros.

Funcom translate “Ophidian” into “Schlangen” - so it makes more sense to translate all or nothing. In the current form it looks unprofessional.

I agree. There are so many things that make the game look unprofessional…

2 Likes

Im konkreten Fall der Schädel ist die Übersetzung allerdings völlig korrekt.

sorcerer’s skull => Magierschädel
magi skull => Magi-Schädel

Auch im englischen Original steht da nicht “mage”, sondern “magi”. Also wäre eine Übersetzung zu “Magier” dann eher die faslche Übersetzung.

vs.

Ja, es gibt einige sehr schräge Übersetzungen in diesem Spiel (Kellner für den Träger ist noch immer mein persönliches Highlight), aber in diesem Fall ist alles korrekt, auch wenn man beim ersten Lesen und ohne den Vergleich mit dem englischen Original erstmal etwas stutzig wird und einen Typo vermutet.

Edit: auch die restlichen Screenshots des OP sind übrigens korrekt. Auch dort ist im englischen Original “magi” gemeint und nicht “mage”.

2 Likes

Thank you for this reply. You describe the “Lost in translation” problem very well. There are a lot of nice german words for latin “magus” or “magi” like “Magier”, “sorcerer” like “Zauberer”, “Hexer”, “Hexenmeister”, “Beschwörer”.

The game lives from the fantastic atmosphere and such small translation errors diminish it a bit.

Thanks, but I still don’t understand how you propose to translate those two and maintain the distinction. There are two different items and they need to be distinguished not only by their icon and description, but also by their names.

Are you saying “sorcerer’s skull” should be called “der Schädel des Zauberers” or is there a better translation?

I’m not arguing against you, by the way, I’m just trying to make sure that when Funcom receives this bug report, they’ll be able to see what the correct translation should be.

Magi ist lateinisch für deutsch “Magier” wie CodeMage es schön beschrieben hat. Korrekt übersetzt ist es nicht und es verwirrt mehr als es nutzt.

sorcerer’s skull => Hexenschädel, Magierschädel, Zaubererschädel
magi skull => Magi-Schädel - lateinisch-deutscher Mischmasch, besser hier “Magierschädel”

Die neue Herausforderung “Hexenjagd” hat ja nicht einmal Hexen im Spiel, geschweige denn Hexer - müsste dann “Magi Hunt” oder “Magi-Jagd” heißen.

Ich habe alle meine Bilder mit dem englischen Original verglichen und deswegen die deutsche Übersetzung als unvorteilhaft empfunden.

sorcerer’s skull => Hexenschädel, Magierschädel, Zaubererschädel
magi skull => (Magi- is latain, skull english) in german better “Magierschädel”

1 Like

As a bit of a side-note on this… the game is originally made in English.
The translation that you have is a mere “afterthought” and there isn’t a full implementation of it as such.

While items and data in general have some translations, a lot of notification messages etc. are hard-coded in English-only (even in current stuff added…). It would take them some special effort to comb through everything and properly translate things :slight_smile:

There’s also the other side of this which can be a bit subjective, generally translations don’t represent creations well… whether it’s a movie… a game or anything else basically. Of course it’s still a “nice to have” feature

Why am I pointing this out? Because based on the quoted text it seems that you’re placing more significance on this than your average person… and Funcom might not…, based on the above…
The report ofc is still nice and they generally gather these up and unless they forget, they change them in bulk with other typos / translation issues etc when they can fit it in with major updates.

1 Like

That`s right. I can only point out small translation inconsistencies and hope they will be corrected eventually.

Some games I play only in English, because the German translation is too horrible.

2 Likes

so…many…buttholes…

Korrekt, aber da es auch im englischen Original nicht übersetzt ist, sehe ich keinen Grund, warum es im Deutschen übersetzt werden sollte. Es bleibt dabei: die Übersetzung ist 100 % korrekt. Es wurde explizit auf die Übersetzung im englischen Original verzichtet und damit kann es auch kein Übersetzungsfehler ins Deutsche sein, wenn man dort genauso auf die explizite Übersetzung verzichtet.

…und an keiner einzigen Stelle im englischen Original steht “mage”. Es ist immer “magi”.

Ich stimme dir da ja auch zu, wie ich oben geschrieben habe. Es liest sich komisch und man vermutet einen Fehler, wenn man das englische Original komplett ignoriert. Es ändert aber nichts daran, dass es korrekt übersetzt ist.

Gibt es komische und/oder falsche Übersetzungen in diesem Spiel? Absolut ja. Ist Witch Hunt/Hexenjagd in diesem Kontext falsch? Nein, auch das ist nicht wirklich falsch. Das Wort hat zwar seinen Ursprung im Wort wörtlichen jagen von Hexen. Geht aber in seiner Definition deutlich über die Jagd von Hexen hinaus. Es bezieht sich auf die unbarmherzige, meist unrechtmäßige Verfolgung und Verurteilung von Menschen.

Aktuell sehe ich in den von dir genannten Punkte keine Übersetzungsfehler. Lediglich eine andere Deutung der Begriffe deinerseits.

the translation is correct

in this context “magi” is some kind of proper noun and therefore fix. it’s not translated in the english original and should not be translated into german.

The translation is not complete in german. The word “magi” is latain and not the german translation “Magier”! It confuse the player more than it helps.

because it’s also not translated in the english original and therefore it would be wrong to translate it into german.

Es ist eine Art “Eigenname” und damit bleibt es unübersetzt.

Die Übersetzung bleibt unvollständig. Nur weil es im Englischen nicht übersetzt wurde, heißt es noch nicht das man eine unvollständig deutsche Übersetzung dulden muss. Klar war es schon immer schick die Menschen erst in Latein, dann Französisch, jetzt in Denglisch und demnächst in Chinesisch zu verwirren. Die Inkorrektheit in anderen Übersetzungen rechtfertigt nicht den Mangel in der Deutschen.

Wie CodeMage es schon beschrieben hat ist es nicht aus dem Lateinischen übersetzt wurden.

Die lieblosen Übersetzungen stören mich schon länger im Spiel (Träger / Kellner). Ein deutsches Wort “Schlangen-Magi” ist so sinnvoll wie “Handy” im englisch sprachigen Raum :).