Give us true Bastard swords!

It’s a mystery to me why bastard swords aren’t properly implemented in a Conan-inspired game.

Give us proper looking long swords ( not the current enlarged and unrealistically thick short swords) with the ability to use them in both hands , in a lot of other games this goes without a problem and since there aren’t even any weapon specializations it doesn’t particularly break the game.

I’d pay for them if they were released as DLC.

Or at least the ability to use two-handed swords on horseback as a worst case scenario

2 Likes

I made one about 40 years ago it’s a bastard now because it would require me to use both hands to swing now. @Keldy @rigultru

3 Likes

Soon I can figure out where it will send a picture made it from a piece of spring steel like old cars had for suspension. I have a Brazilian pepper plant in our butterfly space to use it on

1 Like

Probably because it’d be too hard to tell the game engine which animations to use.

I think the damage done to the concept of longswords in fantasy/historical fiction since 1970s in irreparable. I think I remember playing two video games in the last ten years or so where a longsword was actually a primarily two-handed weapon.

(Bastard swords don’t really exist. They’re just longswords of a length and balance that’s better for one-handed use. But we can call them bastards because we like the word.)

2 Likes

Yeah I know the correct name is longsword, about animation - it’s usually given in games …
Do you have just a sword in your hand? two handed…
Do you have a shield with it? … one-handed (and a shield)
On horseback ? … one-handed

Or light atack …one-handed, heavy atack…two handed…

Etc

1 Like

In the game the 2H sword is a “bastard” sword and not a true Great Sword (or Zweihander or Espadon) with only moves to be used with two hands.

Yeah, except its attack moves resemble a montante more than a longsword.

2 Likes

A little Google. Bastard sword = Hand and a half sword. Primarily used one handed. Witch is what I thought wanted to double check before I installed my head in my butt. @Kapoteeni

1 Like

While this one personally finds the concept grand, the question of implementation comes up.
In game terms, does it use the Two-Hander attack pattern unless something is equiped in the other hand, at which point it uses single handed sword attacks?
Would the weapon have two separate stat pools?
Or perhaps it is two separate pieces, like a bow and arrow?
The main piece functions like the falcata, the second piece being the extended hilt adds to the armour pen and damage?

As someone who teaches Lichtenauer, Fiore, and Silver, most video game swordmanship must be chuckled at to avoid frustration. This game is not different.
However, this game does have a specific aesthetic and concept it is going for. Which runs parallel to what we might understand on some levels, but is perpendicular on others.

So,
TLDR; Yes, but how?

1 Like

Most movie swordsmanship, too, although they at least have the excuse of needing to keep their actors safe from accidental disembowelment. Musketeers hacking at each other with rapiers is not the way I learned.

Of course, action in games and movies has to look cool. I can appreciate that. But to me, any coolness factor is greatly diminished when a maneuver would be clearly suicidal in real life. (And yes, that includes rolling on the floor to avoid sword thrusts.)

2 Likes

You all know of course Conan’s Atlantean Sword (the real one) is a hand and a half true Bastard Sword?
But of course, it’s something different here.

I don’t think it would be very complicated for the game to recognize witch moves set using for a bastard sword. If the character has its sword in one hand and nothing in its off hand, it’s the 2h sword moves set that is applied. If the character has its sword in his hand and something else (torch or shield or whatever) in its off hand, then its the 1h sword moves set that is applied.

Doesn’t work like that…

well from a gameplay point of view it works that way - the game usually determines which animations (1h/2h) according to what you have in your other hand
on horseback it’s usually automatically one-handed animations

I’m surprised it’s not here. Yet it’s already a pretty widespread thing in games, plus the bastard sword is practically Conan’s trademark.

What I meant is that the game doesn’t work the way people think it does…
For this part, setting up animations in combination with what you have in your offhand, sure… that can be done, but only if the weapon is a 1h one by definition, just like we already have in the game for the sword, waraxe etc. And sure, it could look like anything despite that, but it wouldn’t be a true 2h sword.

Also there is no off-hand damage… so the “equipping in either hand” is not a thing, all attacks use the main weapon damage.

Technically we already have bastard swords… as it’s been pointed out above, literally all two-handed swords in the game are essentially bastard swords as half their moves only ever have a single hand holding them. Looks ofc depend on the mesh and material… so sure… if that’s all you’re asking for is to make some different looking swords… that’s not a big deal :man_shrugging:

Yeah I’d like a lot of stuff , the question is whether I’ll see it… but maybe I will , heraldic emblems and more realistic M&B style horse armour will come in AoW

what I’d take besides the bastards:
Light lances converted to one-handed weapons (ideally both but the light ones would do)
Allow us to use a shield on horseback , or at least have it “ready” in hand without blocking
Allow a “friendly” duel on a PvE server , with reduced damage (and ending with a short stun rather than death and no loot)
during which you could even throw someone from the clan off the horse (again, max stun)

and what do you get out of it?

even boys can dream