Greater Antediluvian Elephant Pets and meat storage

I recently tamed a greater Antediluvian elephant and tossed some stacks of feral flesh into its inventory for storage. I came back a while later and noticed some odd behavior. The stacks of meat in the elephant’s inventory counted down to 0:00 normally, but they never spoiled. I can’t find any documentation for this anywhere, so I’m not sure if it’s an intended feature or a bug. Are elephants supposed to be walking preservation boxes? If so, it’s incredibly useful if somewhat odd.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this particular instance but things not decaying on pets is a thing sometimes. For example baby pets don’t decay on mounts, so its pretty common to store them there if you don’t have a fridge or space. Pretty cool if we can use elephants as walking fridges for meats :elephant::snowflake:

2 Likes

I thought they “fixed” that. It was in the patch notes for one of the recent patches. Maybe they didn’t fix it as well as they thought…

4 Likes

I’m on PlayStation - rub it in why don’t ya :sob:

It might have been fixed in 2.4.6, I’ll have to re read the patch notes.

Edit: I don’t see it there, but maybe it was patched out some other time (keeping track of what was and what is can be Herculean at times).

2 Likes

Not that useful, actually. If the counter is at zero on the elephant, the meat is going to instantly spoil the moment you move it to your inventory. Might want to test it out, but if it does, then this basically amounts to a graphical bug. If it doesn’t and the meat stays fresh in your inventory longer a second or two, then it’s a gameplay bug.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it is useful. I forgot meat spoils one unit at a time, so you’d only lose one unit to spoilage and the timer would reset to the normal 20 minutes or whatever on the rest of the stack. Still probably should check it out though.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to. :frowning:

I assumed this was about PC, because of the forum it’s in.

At any rate, I did some digging and I found what I was looking for:

So I was wrong, they haven’t changed this yet. This from the patch notes for TestLive, and it seems to apply only to potions, not all perishables. Either that, or the patch notes are not quite right.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. If this still works the way it used to – and I’ve no reason to suspect it doesn’t, as the latest relevant changes are still in TestLive – then the decay timer you see on the client while the item is still in your follower’s inventory is not correct. Once you move the item out of the follower’s inventory, the decay timer is synced with the server and you can see the correct value (i.e. the value it was at when you put it in the inventory, minus one or two seconds).

1 Like

Once you mentioned it, I swear I remember reading it was supposed to be patched too - I’m just struggling to find it.

1 Like

Could be related to the feeding mechanic I suppose. It makes sense that food would last longer on a thrall or pet just to avoid having to flood their inventory with it to avoid running out from having it spoil too quickly. The timer difference would just be a display bug in that case. What doesn’t make sense though is this coming into play on creatures that don’t eat that particular food, like meat on an elephant.

1 Like

He linked the patch notes above :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I saw that about the potions, but I feel like I remember them addressing baby pets on mounts somewhere too. Maybe they expounded on the potions thing to mean all perishables somewhere? I keep looking to no avail.

3 Likes

It’s also possible that you did the same thing I did in my head: read about the potions and extrapolated it to all perishables :smiley:

2 Likes

OK, so given the responses here, I just took a full stack(50) of feral meat with a 0:00 out of the elephant’s inventory and put it in mine. The results:

no instant spoilage of any meat, and the timer changed to ~9:50
When I put the meat back in the elephant’s inventory, the timer froze at its current time (9:44 in this case)

If it’s a bug, it’s a damn useful one. If not, it could definitely use some experimentation/documentation to better understand what exactly is going on. It works with fish, as well, and it looks like what may be happening is that once you put the stack into the elephant, it freezes the decay timer(like a preservation box), but the visual display counts down to 0:00 anyway. Taking it out again restores it to the original time remaining.

It’s interesting that pets don’t decay in mounts, because I’ve never noticed that. I’ve always seen the timer count down, but I’ve never let it run to zero before, so it could be doing the exact same thing.

FYI I’m on PC and this test is in my singleplayer game, so I don’t see how it could be a server sync issue.

1 Like

A slightly oversimplified explanation of what happens is that your single-player game runs the game server. It’s not quite the same as running a standalone server, but the differences don’t matter in this specific case.

1 Like

I believe you are right, but I think they said there was another adjustment in the next patch to make it really work.

I know on Xbox horse fridges do currently work.

But don’t put a heart of the hero in there because they seem to disappear immediately :upside_down_face:

Edit: I should have read the rest of the thread before commenting

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.