GridStream's Christmas 2018 Brainstorming thread (AO)

As some of you may know, I collect ideas every year at GridStream parties for Halloween and Christmas brainstorming, and it’s time for the Christmas one. I know it’s not even October yet, but that’s how the timing works out. After two weeks collecting ideas, I curate them into a somewhat ordered list, we put them in some semblance of order, and I put a little more detail into our favorites, with reference images where appropriate. Then I send those off to FC roughly two months before the event, which I figure is shortly before they need it. In order to get this list to them about the time they’re done making Halloween, this is how early we have to start thinking Christmassy. Take a little side trip to Penumbra if it helps.

This is the first year I’ve had the option of also putting that list on an official froob-friendly FunCom forum. I’ll keep the whole list on the GSP forums, but we can discuss new ideas to add to it here, and then I’ll post the results here when they’re done. Also, the GSP list will be both AO and TSW, but I’ll split out the results to the two separate forums here. It seemed to work pretty well last time.

If you’d like to see the full list, the thread is at http://forums.gridstream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29335. If you have a GSP forum account you can post your idea there if you want, or just reply here, or come to a show and tell me there.

And yes, you can always just post your own suggestion any time you want, in the Suggestions thread even, but I find that these Brainstorming threads, especially the discussions of them at parties, bring up a lot more ideas and more of them actually get posted in a big pile FC can more easily find. So let’s hear it. What do you want Santa Leet to bring you this year, boys and girls and troxies?

There are some common sense guidelines, or would be if sense were common, so I’ll mention them just in case:

1. Don’t infringe anyone else’s Intellectual Property.
    There are Fair Use exceptions for parody and such, and oblique references are fine, but a direct copy of someone else’s IP isn’t going to happen. Grey areas are not worth the trouble of getting lawyers involved.

2. Items should be social in nature rather than providing a gameplay advantage.
    Minor conveniences and average gear, on par with the items we’ve had in previous years, are fine because that still comes out to a cosmetic difference from what’s normally available.

3. Keep it within the game’s rating and rules.
    Clothing can be pretty skimpy, like the various bikinis we already have, but remember, only monsters go to “clothing optional” beaches. Ingesting drugs or alcohol, including tobacco, is similarly prohibited. I don’t recall anyone suggesting anything patently offensive in the past, but if even suggesting it would be against he EULA, it’s probably not very Christmassy anyway. Then again… there’s an alien general trying to steal Christmas. So, you know. “Christmassy” is relative. We can leave the grey areas in on this one and let FC make the call.

4. New ideas are preferred, but I’m not going to ask anyone else to go back over 8 years of lists to check.
    If you want to go to the GSP forums and dig up one or two old ideas, because they’re still your favorite ideas, go ahead. I’ll probably be doing that myself toward the end, just to remind them. Similarly, please look over this thread before you add to it (just this year’s, not all the past ones), to make sure someone else hasn’t just said the same thing. (Just write your idea down first so you don’t get distracted by all the shinies and forget yours.) If there’s already something similar, adding some details and/or options to it is always good.