Here’s the AO portion of the final list I just sent in. The full list is at http://forums.gridstream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29712&p=235223#p235223
To whichever elves, space-elves, fae, notum miners, and/or code monkeys may be tasked with Christmas content for Anarchy Online,
Here’s GSP’s annual brainstorming contribution of Christmas ideas. Ideas were collected over three weeks of GSP parties, plus a few from the forums and some set aside since last year. GSP DJs, Dancers, and staff helped put them in order so I could fill in extra details on our favorites, but the whole list is here. One difference this year is I tried to limit the repeats instead of asking for the same things we ask for every year. We still want that stuff too, but I’m sure you still have the old lists, so just consider this an addition, rather than an update.
- [both] Scrooge as a boss in a new Christmas Carol mission
Apparently that’s legal. “A Christmas Carol” is so old it’s public domain. So there could be a mission with ghosts of past, present, and future, and even NPCs named Marley and Tiny Tim and a boss named Scrooge, and it would be fine.
On the other hand, an adapation that fits the game world would be better than just retelling the original story. I like the idea of adapting it to AO by way of verbal history, passed down from one generation of leets to the next. And it doesn’t take many leety retellings to totally confuzzle a story. Like Marleet is telling the story about how Tiny Tim is actually tiny, even from a leet’s perspective. A talking mouse, perhaps. And also an enchanter. Like an agent shrunk down, morphed into a leet, and casting fireballs. And he’s off to storm the castle… err… office of some ICC credit-pincher named Scourge the Ebon Geezer, so greedy he stoled all the shineys from all the shuttleports and won’t give any back, even for Christmas, so all the leets in Arete have to make do with stolen candy and no shinies and not a Christmas present ever. But the office is guarded by huge, mean humming bugs and three ghosts that have to be defeated in order. Or something like that.
The reward could include a Christmas Ghost version of the Halloween Horror Ghost costume that makes you translucent, and a Christmassy version of the shoulder ghost lamp.
- [both] rolling pet snowman
Give the bottom snowball the rolling animation from a rollerrat and the top two just lean forward, so it moves like BB-8. I’m sure it’s more complicated to implement than to describe, but it would be really cool if you could make it work.
Bonus points if it comes in creepy and cute variations.
- [AO] bring back the social snowball nano
I don’t know if there’s a reason Snowball Fighting Manual v2.1 was retired, or it just got forgotten, but it’s been quite a while so there are a lot of folks who have never seen it. Or at least they have new characters who have never seen it. It’s become rather rare to be able to throw snowballs at each other.
There’s really no reason for the Christmas Gifts or Frozen Excavation Site to drop any other Snowball Fighting Manual, as the only other one you need is the v2.2 for the Santa Leet’s Workshop mission, which you get right there. So maybe you could just replace all instances of “Snowball Fighting Manual” (ID: 259898) or “Nano Crystal (Throw Snowball v2.2)” (ID: 294023) with “Snowball Fighting Manual v2.1” (ID: 284713) in those loot tables.
- [both] A new mission or activity that encourages some cooperation
Something like Adrienne’s “You’ve Got Heart” Valentine heart lantern quest or properly summoning Hel that involves cooperation with other players, but with new rewards to actually encourage us to make the effort. Maybe something like cooperative snowman construction, for example. Why are AO’s snowman parts NoDrop anyway? Who builds snowmen all by themselves?
- [both] glowing red nose
I know there’s a clown nose in SWL already, but it doesn’t glow. Something just like that, but glowing bright enough to cut through fog, and yet not so bright it blinds the wearer, might be tricky. Or magical. Probably both.
- [both] a fairy godmother wand
The kind with a big shiny star on the end, that you can equip to wave around and click to cast random sparkles. The kind of thing anyone who ever wore rainbow fishnets, a fluorescent tutu, and a glow in the dark bikini to a rave always wanted, but less pharmaceutical-powered. And yes, once we had the wand, we’d probably ask for that outfit next. At least, I would.
- [both] Play Costume - Sixth Edition, Christmas version
That’s the sexy school uniform one, but in Christmassy red with white trim and a ribbon bow instead of the neck tie. Maybe some holly details, like holly on the back of the stockings.
- [both] Hawaiian Christmas (tourist edition)
A variation of the hula outfit, but with a silver tinsel garland instead of a green lei, and a little microskirt made of holly, tied on with a mistletoe vine. In AO, that’s the miniskirt/skorts type. The legs mesh, not the skirt mesh. If you have to put a green thong under it for censorship, that would be acceptable.
- [both] Virgin killer minidress, knit grey with silver threads
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lucky2Buy-Sleeveless-Cosplay-Turtle-neck-Pullover/dp/B074HZBW1T
But a slightly looser knit so you can /almost/ peek through it, but still not actually see anything, and the silver threads give it a little bit of sparkle.
- [AO] friendly nano that causes a local snowfall like the snow blower toys, but longer lasting
Preferably with a fluffy little cloud over you, but that’s optional. If it has to have an effect, maybe 2 points of Fire AC, but the visual is enough. If the engine can handle everyone triggering a snowblower at once, it can handle everyone having this nano running.
- [both] Christmas eve nightwear, just slightly naughty
A red satin babydoll nightie, maybe something like this:
… with thigh-high stockings, white panties, and green hollybough belt. Maybe a little mistletoe detail on the front of the waistband, instead of the typical bow. That’s pretty skimpy though, if you can see the bow with an opaque nightie that doesn’t /actually/ ride up or flutter, so maybe it’s just a bit more than slightly naughty.
Or how about something more like this:
So it goes a little lower in back, but ties in front and doesn’t fully close. It only almost closes where it’s tied at the waist with a holly-colored silk rope belt with little leaves. Or maybe it doesn’t go lower in the back so it’s a separate chest item and the lacy white panties and ruffle-topped wide fishnet thigh-highs are a separate leg item.
Okay, it’s not slightly naughty, it’s slight and naughty, but that’s just a different kind of good, right?
- [both] mistletoe bikini bottom
Either a Christmas bikini like the one AO already has, just with a mistletoe design on it, or one that looks like just some leaves and vines of mistletoe and holly. Like AO’s “Leaves” outfits, but just the bikini part, not all the way down the legs or up the abdomen.
And a matching thong made from one holly leaf, two fir cones, and a ribbon for the menfolk.
- [AO] green version of Santa Hat
- [AO] Icy mint gum so cooling it causes a brief snowstorm around you like a snow blower
And maybe gives you the “frosty breath” effect for a minute, too.
[both] Christmas cards like the Valentines
[both] iridescent rainbow taffeta and opal bead steel boned corsets
- [AO] frozen excavation site loot table
This isn’t something /new/, just an adjustment you could make to improve the Frozen Excavation Site. There’s some redundant and superfluous stuff in those loot tables and some stuff conspicuously missing.
Remove from the Frozen Excavation Site’s loot table:
“Bearded Box with a Bow” (289578)
because “Bearded Box with a Bow” (289509) is the same thing, free in Borealis, with no timer
just one is enough. I would suggest keeping “Snowflake Placard” (284717)
“No Snow Placard” (284718) and “No Antleet Placard” (284719) click to change into the same thing.
kLoathing Holiday Series #1: Snowflake Shirt - Red (294519)
kLoathing Holiday Series #1: Snowflake Shirt - White (294520) - no need for both, for the same reason
It’s cheap and tradable and not Christmas-exclusive in the first place. I’m not sure why this was in Christmas Gifts to begin with.
Replace with missing items:
- Candy Cane (301706)
- Santa Leet Doll (274172)
- Snowball Fighting Manual v2.1 (284713)
- Giant Snow Shovel (289501)
- Snowman (300859 or 274261)
- Present Placard (259925)
- Fruit Cake (259922)
- Bouquet of Winter (259937)
- Igloo (289522)
- Old-Fashioned Apple Cider (289491)
- [both] starbrite mint bikini with candy cane stockings
This is an old favorite that keeps getting requested every year. I tried to minimize the repeats in this list, but this one’s kind of a tradition. I even drew my own examples twice because I couldn’t find any reference images close enough to what was suggested.
But with better shoes. I never did get around to fixing the shoes on those.
- [AO] Alien Leet Elf pet
You know how the dog xenomorph in Alien3 came out a quadrupedal dog-like alien? Imagine a leet-hybrid alien like that, like one of those cricket-type aliens with a spiny tail and no front paws. Kinda like Leetzilla, now that I think of it. Then he takes the hat and booties from the elfleet he spawned from to camouflage himself and infiltrate Santa Leet’s workshop to sabotage the ongoing efforts to evict Grin’Cha’s forces.
Or just a leet-sized cricket-type alien with a hat if that’s too much.
- [AO] apartments that can hold more than a backpack
I know it’s not exactly a Christmas thing, but someone suggested that’s what they really wanted for Christmas, and there was more than one voice of agreement. 100 items per apartment was requested, but maybe that’s a bit high. Wallpapering it with posters seems excessive. Or not. I mean, we don’t have paint. There must be some good number in between that would feel less arbitrarily restrictive without taxing the engine too much.
- [both] tiny pets
- a little mousie in a nightgown and cap, stirring a cup of tea
- a mouse-size antleet (in the Scrooge mission, found next to a stapler)
- [AO] “Fists of Epicine”
- QL 0.03 MA attack / nano, 1-3 damage for 1 nano, damage based on 70% Heavy Weapons skill, 25% Brawling, and 15% Martial Arts, with casting time -300 and no cooldown.
- Break that hotkey /off/ on some punk.
[both] a shoort [sic] red and white skirt with a matching bikini top
[both] a little black skullcap hat with a model yalm on top - a Yalmica
[both] unicorn/silvertail with red and white stripes and a candy cane colored horn (normal horn shape)
[both] Christmas lights with more colors, particularly purples and pinks
[both] make the cookie frosting wearable
- [both] flannel pajamas
- green and red plaid
- red and white check
- blue too, but please don’t make them faction-exclusive
[both] photo-op cutout Christmas scenes with holes so you can stand behind them and take a selfie
[both] Green Spanx with red handprints
[both] new backpacks
- holly leaf
- snowman’s head
- Xmas tree
- wrapped gift
- [AO] leets with hovering zigball shoulderpads and candy canes tied to their tails with ribbons so they can play a holiday special zigball game
- even if zigball isn’t normally played with sticks because the tail hook is how you play it with no hands
[both] Oversized sunglasses with holiday bling
[both] marching baton, possibly spinning in your hand when clicked, red and white spiral like the candy cane, but straight and narrow, and a gold and purple marching band uniform to go with it
[AO] QL0 MA special attack “Smack to the Smackitty Smack”
- inflicts embarrassment damage you can feel even if you’re afk on a food run
- [both] Snowball Grenade launcher
- like an OT-12 (from AO) with a candy cane skin that fires the social snowballs on clicking, like Adrienne’s bow does
- [AO] magic Christmas stocking like the “Chocolate Exultation” Gift Box, click to pull out a random tradable edible candy, one minute cooldown
- miniature candy cane
- chocolate santa leet
- sugar plums
- peppermint patties
- chestnuts, already roased by either hanging the magic stocking too close to the fireplace or burning it on a stake for being magic
- raw chestnuts to put in a frying pan and hold in the fireplace
- leet treats
- a bronto burger (requested by Lue, of course)
- chocolate crispy mint discs
- orange and mint flavored chocolate sticks
- chocolate covered miniature Zix
- [AO] make the gingerbread cookies tradable
- [both] red and white color swap of the Oscura outfit, with some green details, like a holly brooch or a thin vine of mistletoe for a belt
- [AO] Grin’Cha doll
- it’s not actually a plushie, it’s what really happens to Grin’Cha when he just disappears without dropping the loot
- bonus points if you can actually script that to appear in his place when he does despawn without any loot
- [both] a proper blouse and some nice slacks
- not the awful one your fashion-blind but well-meaning free-trade shopping local-artist supporting aunt picked out, bless her heart
[both] a variation of the Phasefront Sleigh nano pulled by a team of antleets wearing jetpacks
[both] Informer Snowman toy that says random things when you poke it, like mixes of Lovecraft and Snow: “Informer! Cthulhu R’lyeh fhtagn, tekeli boom boom down!”
[both] pet lump of coal shem/heckler
[both] a hippopotamus
[AO] trox thong with a gingerbread man on the cabbage
- Maybe a couple different versions, featuring the various gingerbread cookies
- Boxers with a repeating pattern of gingerbread men, hearts, and women
- Thongs with any one of them - click to change - or gingerbread yuttos for the jokers
[both] lump of coal outfits
[both] a VR gaming rig with a simulation speed setting so you can get in a full week of gaming after work every night
[AO] Omni-zon gift cards that can only be redeemed from the head office on Earth, postage not included
- Minimum order for free shipping is credits equal to the number of miles between you and the planet of origin
- [both] wassail
[both] Rupert the Red-Nosed Swiftwind and/or Randolph the Bright-Horned Silvertail
[both] eggnog that gives a red and/or green sparkle effect
[both] spray can of scent deletion nanos, or canned Christmas hearth smell, the smell of chestnuts roasting on a pine fire in a stove made of peppermint sticks
[AO] Giant Candy Cane vehicle
- the long skinny hover-bike might be re-workable as one
- the long straight part of the candy cane points forward and the hook comes up behind you for a backrest
- [AO] full sized alien elf costume
- a more Christmassy version of the old Veteran alien costume
- [both] Morninglight St Nicholas outfit
- the same outfit the ghost wears at the end of The Christmas Conspiracy, but opaque and in the Morninglight white & gold colour scheme, instead of translucent red and white, and maybe with a matching mitre
- [both] translucent pastel colored pet hecklers/shems - rock candy
[both] chocolate toffee
[AO] chocolate yalms
[AO] reindeer, wild and/or pet
[AO] Uncle Pumpkinhead in a Santa suit dancing doll
[AO] chocolate support beam
- maybe tear open the gift-wrapped one and take a bite
- [both] giant gift box that a character can burst out of, for screen-cap photos
- [both] A dead pine tree strung with blinking UV LEDs and burgundy tinsel the color of dried blood and black lace garland
- [both] hot chocolate that buffs cold AC and chocolate craving resistance
- maybe +2 Stamina even, like an extruder bar
[both] a pet wooden cuckoo bird that escaped from a very large and slightly magical clock
[both] a Bing Crosby mask and suit
[both] white leet with red spots in a dalmation pattern
[both] Slow Djinn Fizz
- a carbonated drink made by intellectually challenged elemental spirits, so viscous that the bubbles take a full minute to rise to the top and pop
[both] a tangled bunch of old school Christmas lights, like the fist-sized frosted bulbs and tear-shaped ornaments and boiling bubble lights, all too tangled to get on a tree, so they’re held up in a big roughly tree-shaped tangle by a hovering drone, like the AO balloons pet inverted
[AO] variation of the brick fireplace with no fire in it because the chimney is stopped up with a bag of gifts and a skeleton in a Santa suit
[AO] Lantern-style shoulder-hovering leet with Santa hat and candy cane tail
Thanks again for reading and letting us participate in the making of festivities, and thanks for continuing to bring more festivites to our favorite worlds. I hope you found something useful, interesting, or at least amusing here and we’re all looking forward to seeing whatever the holidays bring!