I’ve read that devs are working around fast fixes for claims and decay, but I felt they are running in circles with that topic. I researched a bit and though some solutions. Straight to the point.
Please Read All. Each issue might be adressed with other proposals on this same text
Some definitions and aspects to understand:
Claim: Area were only you and your clan can BUILD. Structure interactions are restricted to ownership.
Owner: player or clan who owns a structure and has full access to its interactions (such as destroy, pick up, etc). In this proposal, you can build outside your building claim and you are still owner of your structure.
Decay: how a structure starts losing hp over time (if decay is enabled on the server).
How to fix Claiming area:
- Claiming land should be done ONLY via altars or a specific building for claim porpuses.
- Higher tier altars/claim structures will let you claim more area.
- Claim Area will need an upkeep cost. Higher tier = more claim area = higher upkeep.
- Upkeep costs could be: materials, boss loot, player kills, gold and silver coins, etc. The idea is that it has to be “expensive” to have a large base.
- Upkeep contributions will give an X amount of Claim time. Similar mechanic as “fuel”. (I give some examples on a comment down below).
- Destroying an enemy Altar/Claim Structure should not “instantly” remove its claim in order to prevent building abuses like building a vault on your enemy base (ty @Lott_Lizzard)
- You wont be able to build an Altar/Claim Structure on your enemy base if you destroy their Altar/Claim Structure for a period of time to prevent base “captures” (based on the previous rule).
- A “newbie” altar/claim structure should be added so players can claim their first base (with upkeep costs as well).
- (optional) Claim could grow/shrink depending on its upkeep meter. If your upkeep meter reaches 0% your claim will start to slowly shrink until the claim is completely gone.
- If two rival claims collide due to claim expansions via upgrades, the first claim will take prioriry and will keep its full radius overlapping the other. Possible fix for this: The minimal distance between 2 rival claim structures should be based on the maximun radius achievable from both claim structures. Example: if the maximun claim radius from a claim structure was 30 tiles, the minimal distance an enemy claim structure will need is 60 in order for both not to collide (ever).
- Building in non claimed land is still possible and you will have full ownership of your structures. Read how to fix decay.
How to fix Decay:
- Buildings inside a claim (altar radius) have reduced decay.
- Buildings outside a claim have increased decay.
I know there are several limitations but I will mention a few benefits:
- It encourages clans to have few bases because of the Altar upkeep costs. It brings balance and “wheel of pain only” bases will decay if they dont have an altar and pay the upkeep.
- No more hidden foundations to claim land around your base to prevent trebuchets. Building multiple altars to claim more land will be possible, but expensive.
- Both decay and claim systems benefit from each other. No need for rare algorithms to see how much decay a building have according to its size, bedrolls, campfires or whatever Funcom was thinking.
Of course this is just MY idea of how to fix the current meta and I wanted to share it so you can refine it, bash it, destroy it, reconstruct it and create something that works for all.
Added thoughts from other players
- Claim could be managed from Totems or other non religious structure. Crom players would have been in “disadvantage” otherwise.