I lost a friend today

I lost a friend today. Pelor the well traveled was the best thrall I ever had. I found him in the mounds of the dead long ago, and despite being from the Dafari faction, he hit like he was a Cimmerian. He had 9900 health and was a GREAT thrall up until the mounts update that nerfed him into the ground. He had 600 something health plus 400 that he got from the armour I had on him, so he only had 1k health and didn’t hit nearly as hard as before. I had just recently been wiped of all my things except for my main house and my thralls, as my base mysteriously prematurely decomposed (pve) so he was the last ray of hope I had. Even then he protected me through thick and thin, getting me out of many sticky situations and saving my life more times than I can count… until today. I was in the mounds of the dead to look for loot and thralls as I need a new blacksmith, an armorer and basically everything else, and we were killing everything as usual, until 4 thralls chased me and I randomly got stuck on literally NOTHING and died there. No problem right? I’ll just go back and get my stuff, the enemies will go back to where they came from and give me space to collect my thrall and my gear right?.. wrong. They didn’t de-agro on my thrall and as I finally made my way back to the mounds (I live in the south river but teleported there) I crawled the hill where my body was, I got there just in time to watch as 4 thralls killed my Pelor… it was the first time I had ever lost a pet or a thrall, and it hit me like a sack of bricks. I’m not writing this to complain, only to tell his story and how his life was, as I cannot simply replace him. Yea there are of course MUCH better thralls out there but he was the only HIM there was. I also didn’t feel right recycling his armour ro give to another thrall so I put it in a box where he was station at my house. R.I.P. my friend, you were very good to me, and you will be missed.

19 Likes

Alas, I feel your pain.

All my post-nerf Bearer thralls have been placed safely high out of reach, like delicate porcelain dolls.

My once 9900 HPs thralls… reduced to 660 HPs. Every one of them now as buff as Mr Burns from The Simpsons.

1 Like

Better to show them the mercy of a quick death. A new bearer, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed is out there, waiting to serve you, and all they really want is a steady diet of steak. They’ll grow up to be big and strong in no time. Unless they’re T4. Those have a damaged gene pool and should be left in the box for now.

2 Likes

I’ll pour one out for him.

2 Likes

We need a place-able tombstone, Tomb, Death Marker. Something so we can crate the graveyard of our champions :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think all new bearers are all at exile lever in terms of stats. Even Amazdi, who is SUPPOSED to be an heir of the north, has the same stats as all the other exiles, I haven’t tested it because I haven’t found her after a week, but charts say there are all the same exile tier :man_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

I was thinking that too, he was the first follower I ever lost

1 Like

Awesome story, i’m sorry for your loss, but at least he died in a fight, not following you and randomly dying in a bridge.

This is what i love about this game, the bond we have with the things we make.

3 Likes

Yes they are. I’ve got a T4 Bearer in the Mounds of Dead this week and he is an ordinary “quick-leveling” Thrall just as any T4 Thrall from the Exiles who live near the Newbie River.

I came to press F to pay respect.

4 Likes

They really need to add tombstones or some kind of grave markers to the game, many times I have wanted to erect a little memorial either to friends that don’t play anymore or lost pets/thralls. Adds some atmosphere I feel and is a nice little touch to be able to commemorate all the beloved pixels that have returned to the great wide server source code in the sky.

Rest easy Pelor…

6 Likes

May he rest in peace and forever run into fields or whatever his people believe they do on the afterlife!
Followers are such a great feature of this game, I just wish there was a non slavery way of recruiting then.

1 Like

Darfari wind chime and a ceramic jar maybe.

4 Likes

Brave Pelor, he stood no chance but instead of running away he fought like a true warrior. He shall be missed but not forgotten.

Would love to hear more from loyal thralls who were lost in combat (or due to game glitches) and what their names and stories were.

1 Like

Usually a sign with the epitaph and a bracier enarby is somehow good enough to me, just build it in an uncomfortable position (near the dead point) so it remains, almost, untouched by the events!

RIP

He died the way he lived! Much better than to have shuffled off via menu option, like my dear sweet Eina. Next time, try to get his head/weathered skull. Learn the Darfari head on a spike feat, then make a spike or cairn with plaque. Put a dancer in his armor, there at the cairn.

I’m sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

Thank you, I think I’ll leave his things alone in a box where he stood. I feel like that’s as close a grave as I can get

2 Likes

You’re right, at least he died on his feet.

2 Likes

And all T4 bearers are borked because they’re weaker than T3s. Their health bonus doesn’t scale as well, and they have lower starting stats.

I think the concept Funcom has here is a good one, but man did they really screw up the implementation. Thralls with 100% survival growth left and right, or stuck at all stats at 40% growth, perks which actually nerf the thrall… I have no idea what they were thinking, but effectively wasting a player’s time like that is just not cool.

3 Likes

It’s way too randomized and grindy. We should at least be able to pick perks OR have there be no negative perks.

1 Like